Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Do I pull the trigger?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Even if it’s a rebuilt title you can still make some money from it.
But honestly you won’t know until you look at it in person and drive it.
People selling cars for that cheap probably wouldn’t agree to letting you have it inspected because it’s an $800 car and there would be a line of people waiting to buy it if you passed.

When I sold my ‘96 Accord, someone wanted to take it to their mechanic and get it inspected. I said no because I had 3 other buyers willing to pay full price.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Sometimes good deals pop up due to sudden life issues: alimony, divorce, foreclosures, loan shark, blackmail or extortion, death or simply moving out west etc. So Debbie downer might be wrong but go locked & loaded and bring your peeps with you to check it out.
Got a point there. I forgot it was Florida. :p

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,331 Posts
The seller may know it needs repair and is dumping it. It's not completely unheard of to find these kind of deals. Getting a carfax report would tell a lot. I've used Free vehicle history but it's not as informative. But Yes, to your comment.
There's one at every party. "Hey, everybody, I'd like you to meet Debbie Daltongang Downer."

WOMP WOMP

Sometimes good deals pop up due to sudden life issues: alimony, divorce, foreclosures, loan shark, blackmail or extortion, death or simply moving out west etc. So Debbie downer might be wrong but go locked & loaded and bring your peeps with you to check it out.
Yes good deals do come along, but if memory serves me correctly this car is for mom or mom-in-law. Neither one to leave in a lurch on the road somewhere If you value your life, family or marriage.

Also if memory serves me correctly, the last good deal was an AWD with no rear drive an odometer issue and other problems.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Alright guys. Not even sure about meeting this guy anymore. I called him multiple times yesterday and while he responded to an internal Craigslist email message he never sent me where he wanted to meet me though I suggested a very busy intersection with a shopping center parking lot that would be perfect. Also, I ran his tag # pictured and then it started going South after that. The FL Tag# is registered to a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD with VIN# 5FNYF6H50GB036481 (see attached report). So that 2007 Honda Pilot posted on Craigslist could be stolen or NOT even registered and probably with a fake title. Obviously, I would confirm that by looking at the different VIN# stickers on doors, metal tags, etc. but I can't even get a hold of the guy now. So I'll probably pass on this one unless he answers my calls later today and I may perhaps be able to see the car and test drive it (if it's even real). Thank you all for your comments and I'll keep you posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,331 Posts
Alright guys. Not even sure about meeting this guy anymore. I called him multiple times yesterday and while he responded to an internal Craigslist email message he never sent me where he wanted to meet me though I suggested a very busy intersection with a shopping center parking lot that would be perfect. Also, I ran his tag # pictured and then it started going South after that. The FL Tag# is registered to a 2016 Honda Pilot AWD with VIN# 5FNYF6H50GB036481 (see attached report). So that 2007 Honda Pilot posted on Craigslist could be stolen or NOT even registered and probably with a fake title. Obviously, I would confirm that by looking at the different VIN# stickers on doors, metal tags, etc. but I can't even get a hold of the guy now. So I'll probably pass on this one unless he answers my calls later today and I may perhaps be able to see the car and test drive it (if it's even real). Thank you all for your comments and I'll keep you posted.
Sorry to hear that this is not working out, but it sounds like in the long run this is for the best. Lots of red flags flying here and even at $800, it sucks to get fleeced to say the least. If you do get in contact with this person make sure you meet someplace very public. We used to tell people that a good place to meet for Craigslist deals, other than the most common of craigslist deals, to meet at one of our substations. Hookers never seemed to like meeting johns in the police parking lot. Go figure.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Oh wow!
Yep, and the front plate is removed too. Definitely fraudulent for that plate to be on that vehicle.
Run

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Got a point there. I forgot it was Florida. :p

Yep, Florida is known to be lax in prosecuting scams. Especially if your a victim residing outside their state. I don't prepay any independent business for anything in Florida unless they have a good rep on eBay or Amazon.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
It's been two days and no word from our bro @pilotalbert87. Hope he's OK. Time to put out an APB or an Amber Alert?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Maybe he bought it and is now pushing it home. These kind of deals come with a three second or three feet, which ever comes first, warranty.
@Daltongang @plplplpl I'm alive guys!!! The person bit the dust. Never agreed to meet me in person to check the car out. I was still willing to buy it if anything for parts I could use on mine but didn't even get the chance. Anyways I'll keep hunting for one my mother can use.

Sent from my OnePlus 7T Pro 5G McLaren Edition using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
At that price it’s nearly disposable. Go look with cash in hand. If he has a clear title and it runs, buy it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
@Daltongang @plplplpl I'm alive guys!!! The person bit the dust. Never agreed to meet me in person to check the car out.
You guys are good shade tree mechanics but its a scam. Seen it twice before - two different friends - tractor and a NYC vacation rental. Here is how it works:

Guy in Bangladesh, Nigeria, India, someplace with decent internet. He signs up for Gmail account that sounds vaguely North American. He signs up for Google Voice number or Whatsapp or some other service that lets him get texts and voicemails.

Signs up for Facebook under fake american name, or maybe Craigslist. Maybe EBay - have seen Ebay and Facebook with my friends (tractor and vacation rentals). Maybe VRBO or Airbnb.

Download pictures of some desirable mobile item, maybe steal from some other listing. Or pictures of someones beach house.

Post a for sale ad with pictures and a believable sucker story (tractor was husband died a year ago, widow was selling to make space in barn, etc). Price at like 60% to 30% of book/standard value. Maybe say it has a few issues to make price sound more believable. Assume a local location to make sound more believable.

Suckers contact you, you reel them in with some discussion, maybe a few more stolen pics, maybe I am out of town for a few days, will be back, etc. Let suckers fall in love a little, then suggest moving transaction off of Ebay or other listing site (seen it on VRBO too) to save commission/fee.

Hit suckers with - hey I have some other offers, but you seem nice, want it to go to a good home, etc. I am going out of town this weekend, if you pay me a deposit I will promise to you, send me some funds via Western Union, Venmo, Paypal, EFT, etc for your deposit. You can come see it Tuesday and take it home.. yada yada

10% of suckers will send some earnest money. Ignore the other 90% who want to see it before deposit. Shutdown emails and accounts. Cash out money at the second world market, buy some monkey brains to bring home to wife for dinner. Ride moped home from internet cafe, wife is happy to see that you brought home dinner. Get laid, everyone is happy. Stupid americans didnt need the money anyway since they are rich and are oppressing the world anyway...

Suckers email Monday, no responses, they complain to listing sites, who shutdown accounts and remind suckers that since the transaction was not on their site, that they are off the hook. Suckers get mad, too embarrased to tell their wife.

Set up new listings on Monday, think about how much better this job is than farming... life is good...

No offense to people who eat monkey brains, but offense intended to scammers.

Ask yourself, why is the price that low? I could see 75% of market value to unload something, but 50 to 25% is a red flag for stolen, or a transaction scam, unless you know the person.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
You guys are good shade tree mechanics but its a scam. Seen it twice before - two different friends - tractor and a NYC vacation rental. Here is how it works:

Guy in Bangladesh, Nigeria, India, someplace with decent internet. He signs up for Gmail account that sounds vaguely North American. He signs up for Google Voice number or Whatsapp or some other service that lets him get texts and voicemails.

Signs up for Facebook under fake american name, or maybe Craigslist. Maybe EBay - have seen Ebay and Facebook with my friends (tractor and vacation rentals). Maybe VRBO or Airbnb.

Download pictures of some desirable mobile item, maybe steal from some other listing. Or pictures of someones beach house.

Post a for sale ad with pictures and a believable sucker story (tractor was husband died a year ago, widow was selling to make space in barn, etc). Price at like 60% to 30% of book/standard value. Maybe say it has a few issues to make price sound more believable. Assume a local location to make sound more believable.

Suckers contact you, you reel them in with some discussion, maybe a few more stolen pics, maybe I am out of town for a few days, will be back, etc. Let suckers fall in love a little, then suggest moving transaction off of Ebay or other listing site (seen it on VRBO too) to save commission/fee.

Hit suckers with - hey I have some other offers, but you seem nice, want it to go to a good home, etc. I am going out of town this weekend, if you pay me a deposit I will promise to you, send me some funds via Western Union, Venmo, Paypal, EFT, etc for your deposit. You can come see it Tuesday and take it home.. yada yada

10% of suckers will send some earnest money. Ignore the other 90% who want to see it before deposit. Shutdown emails and accounts. Cash out money at the second world market, buy some monkey brains to bring home to wife for dinner. Ride moped home from internet cafe, wife is happy to see that you brought home dinner. Get laid, everyone is happy. Stupid americans didnt need the money anyway since they are rich and are oppressing the world anyway...

Suckers email Monday, no responses, they complain to listing sites, who shutdown accounts and remind suckers that since the transaction was not on their site, that they are off the hook. Suckers get mad, too embarrased to tell their wife.

Set up new listings on Monday, think about how much better this job is than farming... life is good...

Ask yourself, why is the price that low? I could see 75% of market value to unload something, but 50 to 25% is a red flag for stolen, or a transaction scam, unless you know the person.
Key point,
DON'T GIVE A DEPOSIT!

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

So where are you really from? :p :D Methinks you seem to know too much how scamming works. :p:D

But yeah, of course you're right...

·
Registered
52 Posts
So if Johnny forges the signature on the title and accepts the monies I can’t go to the local tag service or dmv and make that Pilot mine? Novice at work here....
Stuff like that happens. When I worked at the local pawn shop several years ago, a man came in with pawn tickets he found in his son's car. They were for items the son had stolen from him. He asked us if the son had pawned more stuff. We informed him that the law did not allow us to tell someone about someone else's pawned items or give him any details about the items in the pawn tickets he had. I recommended he contact the police about the kid stealing from him.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts