• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys so just a few days ago I found this 2007 Honda Pilot on Craigslist at a city that's about 45 minutes from where I live. Click here to check out the Craigslist post for the vehicle. Issues he listed on the post are as follows:
  1. Just needs spark plugs.
  2. Wires and coils (he really means ignition coils).
  3. Power steering pump.
I spoke to him on the phone and he tells me that a mechanic came and diagnosed the problems listed below and all he wants to do is get rid of the car. I understand this sounds like a huge gamble but would hate to pass the chance to probably fix these little issues and perhaps resell this car? Another thing to keep in mind is that this car is already over 200K miles. What do you guys think? I'm trying to see if perhaps I can get myself down there later today to test drive it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So hard to say. Looks great on the outside.
I'd want to check...,
Oil
ATF
for play in the steering wheel
for under body rust
If any engine codes
if it's been in an accident
if it's stolen
if it has a lien holder
is the person selling it the title holder
Run the VIN.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
I can already tell you that @Nail Grease will vote "yay" and that the rest of us will say go for it for $800, PROVIDED you run the VIN and get it inspected by a trusted mechanic (maybe your father-in-law, although you should start inviting him over for a good dinner more often :)) How are the tires? Transmission? Etc.? At worst you'll have a parts car that might end up costing a lot less than the parts themselves.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So hard to say. Looks great on the outside.
I'd want to check...,
Oil
ATF
for play in the steering wheel
for under body rust
If any engine codes
if it's been in an accident
if it's stolen
if it has a lien holder
is the person selling it the title holder
Run the VIN.
I've yet to run the VIN # but like I said I'll be going down there today and checking it out and having my brother who works for an Auto Insurance Company run it on his end before I pull the trigger. I thought about the same thing you did, could this be stolen? Could I perhaps just stay with it for parts ONLY? We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I can already tell you that @Nail Grease will vote "yay" and that the rest of us will say go for it for $800, PROVIDED you run the VIN
If it all checked out and just needed some TLC, I'd be all in at $800.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I've yet to run the VIN # but like I said I'll be going down there today and checking it out and having my brother who works for an Auto Insurance Company run it on his end before I pull the trigger. I thought about the same thing you did, could this be stolen? Could I perhaps just stay with it for parts ONLY? We'll see I guess.
You got the plate #. You could possibly ask the police dept to run it. Make sure the person's ID matches the title. Johnny can't sell grandma's car he borrowed.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
So if Johnny forges the signature on the title and accepts the monies I can’t go to the local tag service or dmv and make that Pilot mine? Novice at work here....
If Grandma reports the car stolen and an investigation starts. It's a good chance that the transaction will be reversed and you lose your money. If grandma reports it stolen, you could get arrested at gun point before the paperwork makes it through the system.
Make sure ID is real and matches the title. If 2 names are on the title, then those 2 people need to produce ID. Make sure the title is not a copy or fake.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Yes, do exercise due diligence because...

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
The other thing may be Johnny "Jr." got a drug problem and is trying to sell his father's car.
Not trying to scare you but ya, stuff like this happens.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The other thing may be Johnny "Jr." got a drug problem and is trying to sell his father's car.
Not trying to scare you but ya, stuff like this happens.
Thank you guys. Doing my due diligence with this one. All good pointers there by the way! Thanks @Nail Grease @plplplpl @aggrex

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Also, go there in person to see for yourself if the pictures are recent or from a while before.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Why would you get it inspected? It is only $800. If there's something wrong with it (if there isn't, I would be shocked) it's not like you can say "X needs to be replaced, I'm going to subtract the cost of repair from the selling price". As long as it's a clean title and you're fine losing $800, but also possibly making a nice profit, go for it! Not every "investment" can be safe and calculated.
Just do it!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Why would you get it inspected? It is only $800. If there's something wrong with it (if there isn't, I would be shocked) it's not like you can say "X needs to be replaced, I'm going to subtract the cost of repair from the selling price". As long as it's a clean title and you're fine losing $800, but also possibly making a nice profit, go for it! Not every "investment" can be safe and calculated.
Just do it!
The price is definitely low. Lots of room to do big repairs if needed. Just seem to good to be true. It could have a salvage or rebuilt title. Lots of scams out there. It could be a plan to rob you of $800. Meet across the street from a police station or in front of a bank with lots of cameras. Could be for @pilotalbert87 the best pilot deal ever made next to having one gifted. If it's the best deal ever, it will go quick. Lots of dealers watch Craigslist.

·
Registered
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
1,331 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer but a 2007 ex in fair condition on Kelley’ Blue Book from a private party normally sells for 3k to 4K. The price sounds a tad low to be legit.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Not to be a Debbie Downer but a 2007 ex in fair condition on Kelley’ Blue Book from a private party normally sells for 3k to 4K. The price sounds a tad low to be legit.
The seller may know it needs repair and is dumping it. It's not completely unheard of to find these kind of deals. Getting a carfax report would tell a lot. I've used Free vehicle history but it's not as informative. But Yes, to your comment.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
There's one at every party. "Hey, everybody, I'd like you to meet Debbie Daltongang Downer."

WOMP WOMP

·
Registered
730 Posts
Sometimes good deals pop up due to sudden life issues: alimony, divorce, foreclosures, loan shark, blackmail or extortion, death or simply moving out west etc. So Debbie downer might be wrong but go locked & loaded and bring your peeps with you to check it out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts