Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there y'all.

I am about to tow my 24' Airstream Argosy from Indiana to California, and I need to install a brake controller. My used '06 came with the 7 pin connector already installed, but I don't know if they did the wiring for the brake controller.

I have what looks like an alarm system disconnected under there, and it's a rats nest. Here are some photos. Anyone know what we are looking at, or how to proceed? Looks like power is already coming in, via a purple wire through the firewall. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I’m about to install a brake control and possibly the wire harness. I too need to look.

I’ll try to post an update later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,039 Posts
If you don't see an after market like the Tekonsha up front they didn't install a brake controller.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you don't see an after market like the Tekonsha up front they didn't install a brake controller.
Yeah, looks like they didn't. But I think I can get power from the alarm system install, looks like.

Which would only leave connecting to the brake switch and brake power from the rear.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
There should be a plugin under the dash for a trailer brake harness to wire a trailer brake into the tow harness. It may be a difficult part to find for a 15+ year old vehicle.

Of a greater concern is the vehicle you are planning to tow. a 24' Airstream Argosy has a dry weight of approximately 3850 lbs +/- a few pounds depending on floor layout. According to Honda you vehicle is not designed to tow that weight. it is rated to 3500 pound towing capacity for anything other than a boat trailer, which is rated to 4500 lbs. From 2006 manual.

You are looking at a 2200 mile trip that will take you over the Rockies with a trailer that is too heavy for the vehicle you are planning on using.

Having moved a time or two in my life I would also expect that you are thinking of putting as much stuff in the trailer and or the Pilot as possible. If so you are going to add even more weight to a an already over weight trailer and vehicle. Half way up a 7000 foot pass over the Rockies is a really lousy place to find out your vehicle can't do the job, at least not without shelling a transmission, differential, or some other major component(s).

I would suggest that you might want to consider other options to get the trailer to California than towing it with your 2006 Pilot 4WD. Truckers hate to go anywhere empty and there are services out there that will hook a trucker up with a person to transport vehicles including trailers to various destinations for a fee instead of making a dry run somewhere.

You also might want to consider renting a vehicle to tow the trailer. One that is capable of handling such a load.

What ever you do, good luck in your venture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
There should be a plugin under the dash for a trailer brake harness to wire a trailer brake into the tow harness. It may be a difficult part to find for a 15+ year old vehicle.

Of a greater concern is the vehicle you are planning to tow. a 24' Airstream Argosy has a dry weight of approximately 3850 lbs +/- a few pounds depending on floor layout. According to Honda you vehicle is not designed to tow that weight. it is rated to 3500 pound towing capacity for anything other than a boat trailer, which is rated to 4500 lbs. From 2006 manual.

View attachment 145881

You are looking at a 2200 mile trip that will take you over the Rockies with a trailer that is too heavy for the vehicle you are planning on using.

Having moved a time or two in my life I would also expect that you are thinking of putting as much stuff in the trailer and or the Pilot as possible. If so you are going to add even more weight to a an already over weight trailer and vehicle. Half way up a 7000 foot pass over the Rockies is a really lousy place to find out your vehicle can't do the job, at least not without shelling a transmission, differential, or some other major component(s).

I would suggest that you might want to consider other options to get the trailer to California than towing it with your 2006 Pilot 4WD. Truckers hate to go anywhere empty and there are services out there that will hook a trucker up with a person to transport vehicles including trailers to various destinations for a fee instead of making a dry run somewhere.

You also might want to consider renting a vehicle to tow the trailer. One that is capable of handling such a load.

What ever you do, good luck in your venture.
I won't be going over the rockies. I'm taking the flat southern route to San Diego.

Also, I've already towed this trailer, and it weighs about 3000lbs currently, as it's been mostly gutted. I really don't have much that I will be putting in the trailer, I've been busy minimizing my life and really only have tools. The 2wd Pilot is rated for 3500lbs. The 4wd is rated for 5000 with a transmission cooler, which I am installing now. I am also in the process of installing a power steering cooler.

Thanks for your concern, but I've already pulled that trailer 450miles without any trouble, without all the extra cooling, and I have a weigh stabilization hitch which prevents sway and squat. I have already installed rear overload springs and HD shocks from an F150 as well. I should be fine, as I will mostly be keeping it at 55-60mph only.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
I won't be going over the rockies. I'm taking the flat southern route to San Diego.

Also, I've already towed this trailer, and it weighs about 3000lbs currently, as it's been mostly gutted. I really don't have much that I will be putting in the trailer, I've been busy minimizing my life and really only have tools. The 2wd Pilot is rated for 3500lbs. The 4wd is rated for 5000 with a transmission cooler, which I am installing now. I am also in the process of installing a power steering cooler.

Thanks for your concern, but I've already pulled that trailer 450miles without any trouble, without all the extra cooling, and I have a weigh stabilization hitch which prevents sway and squat. I have already installed rear overload springs and HD shocks from an F150 as well. I should be fine, as I will mostly be keeping it at 55-60mph only.
I would suggest that you take a look at the owners manual towing section. The 2006 4WD was never rated to 5000 lbs with a transmission cooler. It was rated to 4500 with a boat and trailer and 3500 with all other types of trailers. With a transmission cooler and power steering cooler installed. (See the photo of 215, page above from the 2006 Pilot owners manual.) Regardless of the springs and other items you are still asking a 244 hp engine to pull a lot of weight

Directly from the official Honda Owners site for the 2006 Honda Pilot:

Towing Capacity (lbs., 2WD / 4WD) 3500 / 4500*

*Towing requires installation of power steering fluid- and automatic transmission fluid-cooler, both available exclusively from your Honda dealer. Premium unleaded fuel is recommended when towing above 3500 lbs. Capacity of 4500 lbs. is for boat trailers and 3500 lbs. for all other trailers. Refer to the owner's manual for additional towing information.

Having driven the southern route to San Diego many times you will cross the Sandia–Manzano Mountains in New Mexico by traversing Tijeras Pass. Its highest point is 7,200 feet at Sedillo Ridge.

In Arizona you will be going through the Colorado Plateau which reaches an altitude of 7000 feet around Flagstaff.

When you drop down to I-8 you will still have to traverse the Laguna Mountains east of San Diego. The Laguna Summit Pass is only 4000 feet Height, but you will be coming up from the desert in an area that is below sea level.

I wish you luck with your venture.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, the only part of the terrain I'm worried about is AZ, specifically going through Tucson. There are some steep and winding grades on that stretch, and I'd like to find an alternate path around it if I can.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I suggest that you check out the website for etrailer.com. They have lots of parts and information relating to prepping a vehicle for towing. Lots of how to do it videos, do a search on the website. When I installed the Prodigy P2 on my 2003 EX-L, there was no wiring harness connection present under the dash. I had to cut in a pigtail for power and brake pedal position. The P2 included detailed instructions on how this is done. Because the 2003 Pilot does not have a towing option in the wiring harness, in order to operate the trailer electric brakes, I had to add heavy gauge wire from the battery positive, thru a circuit breaker, to the P2 unit, and all the way back to the rear connector. On my 2018, it was much easier. There was a towing ready plug under the dash for the brake controller, and another one under the interior plastic panel at the left rear. A video on etrailer showed exactly how to install the wiring, and they also sell the necessary harnesses.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
Thanks, the only part of the terrain I'm worried about is AZ, specifically going through Tucson. There are some steep and winding grades on that stretch, and I'd like to find an alternate path around it if I can.
Well the only alternate route I know of that misses the steep inclines is to go south from Amarillo through Lubbock down to Odessa then turn west to El Paso.

Once in El Paso cross the border into Ciudad Juarez then skirt the eastern side of Mexico down to Veracruz. From there you will turn south west to Juchitan de Zaragoza.

At Juchitan de Zaragoza you can turn back north through Oaxaca to Mexico City, then west to Guadalajara and keep going north along the west coast of Mexico until you get to Mexicali. At Mexicali turn and go due west to Tijuana. Once you get to Tijuana cross the border and it is a short drive north to San Diego.

See, nothing to it. 😁

p.s. If you go this way you have to stop at a Chuy's Tacos in El Paso. Great food. 🌮(y)

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
I'd suggest looping around through Canada, but there are two obstacles to that: the border is closed and the Canadian Rockies.

Also, winter.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts