Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At delivery yesterday, the dealer told me that a security system was NOT included with the vehicle. I turned down their $475 option to install one......which included some 'reprogrammed' computer boards. Smelt funny, so I dismissed the idea completely.

YET -

1. When I look at my keychain, I have a panic button.
2. If I hit the "Lock" button twice, the car beeps
3. My driver's side door lock has a red LED that flashes when I double-hit the lock button on the keychain.
4. I set the darned thing off last night while messing around in the car with the car "double locked"

What's the deal?

Thanks.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
We have a security system that is recognized by the insurance industry. Sounds like the dealer may have been trying to pull a fast one on you.....

·
Registered
85 Posts
idloveaguinness:

I believe Security System is "accessory" for LX but standard on EX. Which trim did you get?

·
Registered
342 Posts
There's an easy way to test whether or not the system is enabled. Just do this:

Turn off your Pilot but don't get out.
Use the fob to lock the doors.
Open the door from the inside yourself.

If the horn starts beeping you've got a functional alarm.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Lock button on your key chain.:)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ChuckW - yep - that's how I set it off......so I have a security system that the dealer says is not there.....

I just hate it when dealers play the "These aren't the droids you're looking for" game.

Thanks folks.......

·
Registered
342 Posts
Glad to assist ;)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
ChuckW - yep - that's how I set it off......so I have a security system that the dealer says is not there.....

I just hate it when dealers play the "These aren't the droids you're looking for" game.

Thanks folks.......
you should go to the dealer and challange the A$$hol#.....:3: :3: :3: such s.o.b s should be shot...no hacked ......
can't they do a little bit of honest business.....sorry for the rant!!!:3: :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
pcbeck said:
We have a security system that is recognized by the insurance industry. Sounds like the dealer may have been trying to pull a fast one on you.....
yes...it saves me $1 a month on my insurance...:D

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
idloveaguinness said:
At delivery yesterday, the dealer told me that a security system was NOT included with the vehicle. I turned down their $475 option to install one.

[ snipped ]

What's the deal?

Thanks.....
What the EX-L's have is remote entry with horn activation on breach (or use of panic). For insurance purposes, this qualifies as a security system.

What isn't included are shock sensor (triggers alarm when someone bumps your car), tilt sensor (triggers alarm if car is jacked up for towing) or motion sensor (someone breaks the window and reaches into the interior to steal possessions). Many of these features are repetitive as the shock sensor would, normally, trigger in all three instances.

So, the dealer was trying to sell you the full blown system.

·
Registered
103 Posts
It should also say that you have the Security System on the original window sicker; But from the tread it sounds like you have the security system installed.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
John K - yep - got the little window sticker.....

sfhondapilot - now THAT makes more sense......but they just refused to explain it to me.......not to mention that they told me that I didn't have one at all just to make the upgrade sale........

Grrrrr

When I refused their upgrade, I tried to cut off any further mention of it by stating that I would be putting in an after market alarm system. The guy waved his pen around and told me "Well, I'm going to have to make a note of that here, in case there are any problems, your warranty will be void for related work" I said yeah, right and moved on.......

In any case - the dealer was great to work with on the sale of the car.....no hassle, no haggle. I brought in two numbers - one for the discount off MSRP, the other for my trade. I told them up front that this was the deal, and asked them to take it or leave it. They took it, and the deal was done in minutes.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanx for the info sfhondapilot. Did a little search and found this from http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilelect.html

Security System
Remote operation, door ajar warning, auto relock function, lights dome light on disarm, sounds horn and flashes lights when triggered, glass breakage detector, door and trunk sensors....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Short of installing a new alarm system, is it possible to upgrade the EX-L version with some of the extra features?

Could existing system be integrated into a new system? I've seen some cool ones that also have remote starters and LCD fobs.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
xyz said:
Thanx for the info sfhondapilot. Did a little search and found this from http://www.handa-accessories.com/pilelect.html

Security System
Remote operation, door ajar warning, auto relock function, lights dome light on disarm, sounds horn and flashes lights when triggered, glass breakage detector, door and trunk sensors....
I noticed that the accessory was for the LX only. I wonder what idloveaguinness's salesperson was thinking when they tried to sell a security system for the EX-L?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
gksmith said:
Short of installing a new alarm system, is it possible to upgrade the EX-L version with some of the extra features?

Could existing system be integrated into a new system? I've seen some cool ones that also have remote starters and LCD fobs.
Here's a web site you might want to check out. They have accessories that will supplement your OEM system.

http://www.autotechs.com

·
Registered
103 Posts
sfhondapilot said:

I noticed that the accessory was for the LX only. I wonder what idloveaguinness's salesperson was thinking when they tried to sell a security system for the EX-L?
The salesperson was probably going to sell idloveaguinness a aftermarket alarm. Either that or they were going to say that they installed the OE one that the EX comes with :8:

·
Registered
212 Posts
Same thing happened to me

When I was buying my Pilot last July 2002, I was told that was NO alarm in the EX or EX-L model (these are the only 2 models in Canada).

I went through 4 dealers, with one sales manager that sold me the EX-L. They insisted there is NO alarm.
As I was also tell them this feature MAY affect the insurance rate.

They even try it out at the dealer, it did not go off, at that time.

After I got my car, I post the same question on the other sites.
Someone reply that it should be there, it just needs 5 seconds or so to activate after you lock the door with the remote.

The alarm did go off in my garage when I tested, after waiting for 5 seconds, and luckyily I also asked how to turn it off :rolleyes:
Otherwise I have to go through the manual, as I did not expect the alarm was there.
I too, almost buy the Honda dealer install alarm, do not know what, but has Honda logo on it.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts