Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So today decided to go drive around and look at new cars while the lots were empty (we’re COVID paranoid) and were hoping to see an example of the Galaxy Blue Metallic that Audi offers on the Q7. Our Pilot has been super reliable for all 67k miles that we’ve had it... until today. We literally were in front of the Audi dealer with the turn signal on and “Check Transmission” popped on the display, it dinged at me, the D started flashing, and the CEL came on. I can’t make this stuff. Like, not even 1/8 of a mile down the road... it did it at 15 mph (per the freeze frame data) turning into the Audi dealer. Do cars have feelings?!? WTH?

We didn’t get to see the blue we wanted, but my wife loved the interior. Tempting and maybe it’s a sign?

Good news the Pilot kept driving and running fine despite the error and eventually went away on its own shortly after scanning it. I plan on replacing the 3rd gear pressure sensor ASAP no matter what as I don’t like lingering issues.

Just had to share, and thanks for reading!

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
Have you changed the transmission fluid since you purchased the car?
I'd start with at a minimum 1 drain and fill. There are plenty of guides on here how to do it.
Changing the pressure switches could help but those usually don't go bad so soon.

Either way, I guess you could trade it in now and avoid future issues. You can't go wrong.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, transmission fluid has had 2 full fluid exchanges (multiple drain / fills) both performed by the dealer. Last one was about 20k miles ago. Ours is about as nice as you’ll find. Interior is perfect. Touring package. Michelin tires have good tread. My wife and I have had it since new. Zero accidents. Paint is Obsidian Blue Pearl and in nearly flawless condition, especially after a full detail this spring. It shines like brand new, and sheds water better than new. Timing belt / water pump a few months back by me using the Aisin kit. Engine bay always washed and kept clean. Zero oil consumption, vcm disabled before any issues ever showed up. Oil changed every 5k miles with synthetic. Zero leaks. Wheels never curbed. She’s in amazing shape really.

Only complaints:

1) Little bit of shake 70-80mph that isnt tires.
2) Brakes a shuddering again. Ugh!
3) We want something a bit sportier.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
A little Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife may fix that problem right up if its it's just starting.
😏

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A little Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife may fix that problem right up if its it's just starting.
😏
Thanks,from reading it sounds like the sensor is the most common issue and they have revised the part since the car was manufactured. Didn’t seem like the trans is actually having problems since it still shifts completely normal... but now you’re making me paranoid. Just ran out to check - fluid is light pink. Looks to be in excellent condition sooo... I’d be surprised if it’s mechanical, but I guess anything is possible?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Thanks,from reading it sounds like the sensor is the most common issue and they have revised the part since the car was manufactured. Didn’t seem like the trans is actually having problems since it still shifts completely normal... but now you’re making me paranoid. Just ran out to check - fluid is light pink. Looks to be in excellent condition sooo... I’d be surprised if it’s mechanical, but I guess anything is possible?
IMO, with lower temperatures, sometimes these issues become known. Yes, fluid can be a factor.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point, but ambient temps were in the 70s. Intake air temp was 81 per the ecu. Pretty warm but windy day in GA. Also it has been exposed to much cooler temps even recently without issue. It popped the code after about 30 - 40 minutes of mostly highway driving so it was for sure warmed up.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Good point, but ambient temps were in the 70s. Intake air temp was 81 per the ecu. Pretty warm but windy day in GA. Also it has been exposed to much cooler temps even recently without issue. It popped the code after about 30 - 40 minutes of mostly highway driving so it was for sure warmed up.
20k on DW-1 through a hot summer.., I'd do a fluid change first. If its it's only been 20k since your last, for sure I'd be switching to VML. The sensor is likely accurate.
How to fix...
#1 change fluid and filter

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
So today decided to go drive around and look at new cars while the lots were empty (we’re COVID paranoid) and were hoping to see an example of the Galaxy Blue Metallic that Audi offers on the Q7. Our Pilot has been super reliable for all 67k miles that we’ve had it... until today. We literally were in front of the Audi dealer with the turn signal on and “Check Transmission” popped on the display, it dinged at me, the D started flashing, and the CEL came on.

We didn’t get to see the blue we wanted, but my wife loved the interior. Tempting and maybe it’s a sign?
If you can afford an Audi, then why are you still slumming in a Honda?
Clearly, the flashing 'D' and the CEL are signs that's it's time to trade in the Pilot before it completely falls apart.
The fact that your wife loved the interior should make getting the Q7 a no brainer.

I once had an Audi.
The ownership experience was so incredible that I only bought Honda products thereafter.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
If you can afford an Audi, then why are you still slumming in a Honda?
Clearly, the flashing 'D' and the CEL are signs that's it's time to trade in the Pilot before it completely falls apart.
The fact that your wife loved the interior should make getting the Q7 a no brainer.

I once had an Audi.
The ownership experience was so incredible that I only bought Honda products thereafter.
Gotta Love @xGS , LOL!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I once had an Audi.
Heh I never considered the Honda "slumming it". Higher end Honda vs lower end Audi. It's not that big of a difference at the end of the day and I like the way German cars drive... still very much on the fence.

Your experience was that bad huh? Not gonna lie - I do get nervous about quality issues... but then again I was nervous about my 330i too and it's been really quite good and very happy with it. I get torn. What happened with yours?

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Your experience was that bad huh? Not gonna lie - I do get nervous about quality issues... but then again I was nervous about my 330i too and it's been really quite good and very happy with it. I get torn. What happened with yours?
Keep in mind that my experience was back in the previous century.
While the basic engine and automatic transmission were were reliable for well beyond 100K miles, various accessory components were not.

The power steering pump and A/C compressor both failed more than once.
The water pump seal failed at about 75K miles. The pump should probably have been replaced along with the timing belt at 60K.
A grounding problem in the taillight assembly caused the cruise control to shut off whenever a turn signal was used.
Wheel bearings failed, too - which never happened in the Honda products I ran to a similar mileage, and beyond.

The car was also relatively simpler then, so there were fewer things to fail.
No power windows, door locks or seats. No sunroof. No electronic safety systems.
The entertainment system was a Blaupunkt AM/FM radio.

The coup de grâce came when I went to replace it .
While I never experienced it, by then the Audi 5000 had become infamous for unintended acceleration.
Most car dealers would just laugh when I showed them my trade in - even the Audi dealers didn't want it.
An Acura dealer had just opened up nearby and they were willing to offer me a decent trade-in value for the Audi.
Unlike the latest Audis of that era, the Legend had the features I wanted - 6-cylinder engine, 4-speed automatic transmission and anti-lock brakes. Those were heady days.

Were I to contemplate acquiring an Audi now, I'd likely lease it for no longer than the length of the warranty period.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Keep in mind that my experience was back in the previous century.
While the basic engine and automatic transmission were were reliable for well beyond 100K miles, various accessory components were not.

The power steering pump and A/C compressor both failed more than once.
The water pump seal failed at about 75K miles. The pump should probably have been replaced along with the timing belt at 60K.
A grounding problem in the taillight assembly caused the cruise control to shut off whenever a turn signal was used.
Wheel bearings failed, too - which never happened in the Honda products I ran to a similar mileage, and beyond.

The car was also relatively simpler then, so there were fewer things to fail.
No power windows, door locks or seats. No sunroof. No electronic safety systems.
The entertainment system was a Blaupunkt AM/FM radio.

The coup de grâce came when I went to replace it .
While I never experienced it, by then the Audi 5000 had become infamous for unintended acceleration.
Most car dealers would just laugh when I showed them my trade in - even the Audi dealers didn't want it.
An Acura dealer had just opened up nearby and they were willing to offer me a decent trade-in value for the Audi.
Unlike the latest Audis of that era, the Legend had the features I wanted - 6-cylinder engine, 4-speed automatic transmission and anti-lock brakes. Those were heady days.

Were I to contemplate acquiring an Audi now, I'd likely lease it for no longer than the length of the warranty period.
Ugh - yeah... I can see that and some sounds familiar. Thanks for the detailed response. The 5000 was known for a lot of issues wasn't it. I do think they're better in some ways now, but still can be death by 1000 cuts if you get a bad example. My 3 series has had some minor / stupid type stuff that has never been an issue on my IS300 but DIY'ing I've probably only spent ~$1000 in repairs on it (beyond normal maintenance) over 10 years so I can't complain. The big thing in our advantage is that we don't drive very far. Kids to school and back and a few road trips per year. Leasing is a thought - but we do hang on to stuff for a while.

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Ugh - yeah... I can see that and some sounds familiar. Thanks for the detailed response. The 5000 was known for a lot of issues wasn't it. I do think they're better in some ways now, but still can be death by 1000 cuts if you get a bad example. My 3 series has had some minor / stupid type stuff that has never been an issue on my IS300 but DIY'ing I've probably only spent ~$1000 in repairs on it (beyond normal maintenance) over 10 years so I can't complain. The big thing in our advantage is that we don't drive very far. Kids to school and back and a few road trips per year. Leasing is a thought - but we do hang on to stuff for a while.
Life is short, so buy/lease whichever vehicle (you think) will make you (or your wife) happiest.
The downside of a lease is that you're essentially "owning" the vehicle during the steepest part of the depreciation curve.
OTOH, it'll be someone else's problem and expense if it turns out to be unreliable in the long term.

Has the timing belt been replaced, yet, on your 2013 Pilot?
Before the MM, it was due every 7-years (or 105K miles).
Unless you're planning to DIY that job, maybe you'd rather put the $1-1.5K cost into a new vehicle?

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Has the timing belt been replaced, yet, on your 2013 Pilot?
Before the MM, it was due every 7-years (or 105K miles).
Unless you're planning to DIY that job, maybe you'd rather put the $1-1.5K cost into a new vehicle?
Yep, I DIY'd the timing belt a few months back in August with the Aisin kit, water pump, and fresh Honda coolant. 95% sure we'd buy anything we're looking at rather than leasing. Not locked in on anything yet regarding immediately replacing the Pilot - but just wanted to see the color that Audi has because it's rare and my wife likes cars with more color. We've been casually looking for a year or so now so obviously no rush. ;-) This just was freaking bizarre that it happened directly in front of the dealer. Spooky weird really - I mean... it's Honda. This was the first CEL we've seen on it in almost 8 years.

BTW - Did some more research found some of the Ridgeline and a few Pilot folks on other forums having issues with the sensor even a lower mileages (some less than mine) so for $70 bux I just picked up a new one from the local dealer and I'm going to parts cannon a new one on there for good measure. If I can get my hands on some VML easily and quickly I may do that too as suggested by NG.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Yep, I DIY'd the timing belt a few months back in August with the Aisin kit, water pump, and fresh Honda coolant. 95% sure we'd buy anything we're looking at rather than leasing. Not locked in on anything yet regarding immediately replacing the Pilot - but just wanted to see the color that Audi has because it's rare and my wife likes cars with more color. We've been casually looking for a year or so now so obviously no rush. ;-) This just was freaking bizarre that it happened directly in front of the dealer. Spooky weird really - I mean... it's Honda. This was the first CEL we've seen on it in almost 8 years.

BTW - Did some more research found some of the Ridgeline and a few Pilot folks on other forums having issues with the sensor even a lower mileages (some less than mine) so for $70 bux I just picked up a new one from the local dealer and I'm going to parts cannon a new one on there for good measure. If I can get my hands on some VML easily and quickly I may do that too as suggested by NG.
As NG suggested, 1st VML. Might not need that sensor. 😁

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
As NG suggested, 1st VML. Might not need that sensor. 😁
Parts cannon already loaded - the part is sitting waiting to go in. ;-) I'd rather not run the risk of my wife seeing an error with it. I'll probably just do both, never know what EXACTLY fixed it, and never worry about it again. I'm not fully sold that the fluid is the cause because it has been maintained so well and the fluid looks perfect.... so I'd always wonder if it's going to give her trouble. Not worth it to me. Do both and forget about it.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,404 Posts
Parts cannon already loaded - the part is sitting waiting to go in. ;-) I'd rather not run the risk of my wife seeing an error with it. I'll probably just do both, never know what EXACTLY fixed it, and never worry about it again. I'm not fully sold that the fluid is the cause because it has been maintained so well and the fluid looks perfect.... so I'd always wonder if it's going to give her trouble. Not worth it to me. Do both and forget about it.
Personally I wouldn't switch the fluid just yet. If the only problem you're having is an error popping up, I'd change the sensor and see what happens next. The fluid is clean and seems to be doing a good job, why change that?

·
Registered
8,922 Posts
Not locked in on anything yet regarding immediately replacing the Pilot - but just wanted to see the color that Audi has because it's rare and my wife likes cars with more color. We've been casually looking for a year or so now so obviously no rush. ;-) This just was freaking bizarre that it happened directly in front of the dealer. Spooky weird really - I mean... it's Honda. This was the first CEL we've seen on it in almost 8 years.
Take your wife to see a Genesis GV80 3.5T with the Prestige package in Adriatic blue and ultramarine blue/dune interior.
See if she likes it. See if the old Honda acts up, again.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Take your wife to see a Genesis GV80 3.5T with the Prestige package in Adriatic blue and ultramarine blue/dune interior.
See if she likes it. See if the old Honda acts up, again.

Yeah it's beautiful... but that steering wheel looks worse than if it'd been lifted from a 1999 Chrysler. Still impressive

1 - 20 of 35 Posts