Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my front sway bars. I saw a great video, but it was someone who had a lift and could get the whole car off the ground.

Has anyone does this work themselves in their garage? I can jack my car up with a 2-ton jack. I expect I'll need jack stands, but am unsure where to place one to relieve the pressure on the front suspension.

Also, I see that the nut has to be torqued to a certain specification.

Can anyone offer a narrative based on their own experience?

·
Registered
798 Posts
Why does the sway bar need to be replaced? Anytime one works under a vehicle you will need jack stands or some type of secure support. Review the owners manual for the location of the approved lift points.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Why does the sway bar need to be replaced?
Unless your sway bar is broken (ie, its in two or more pieces) or was left unrepaired after other extensive front-end damage, its unlikely that changing it will do anything for you. If you mean the links that attach the sway bar to the struts, yeah, that's an easy driveway job, and yeah, you need jack stands, wheel chocks and a decent floor jack.

Anytime one works under a vehicle you will need jack stands or some type of secure support. Review the owners manual for the location of the approved lift points.
Please take this advice very seriously. The questions you're asking indicate a need to do some research on safely lifting and supporting your vehicle before you think about getting underneath it. A general rule of thumb is that you should be able to push it with all your strength when its on the stands without a wobble before you get under it.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
As others have said, sway bars don't generally need replacing. It's not a maintainace item. Now the rubber bushings securing it to the frame and the linkage do need replacing if your at 200k miles or so and the ruber is deteriorating. These are not difficult to DIY and I'm sure there are some trusted mechanic videos on YouTube on how to safely replace these parts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts