Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of curiosity, has anyone replaced these? I have the mounts from Rock Auto, I just don't want to pay the $4-600 I have been quoted. How difficult is it to replace these, and is there a write up or video on how to do this?

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have an '03 and replaced side, front, and transmission mounts. All easy to do but your front may be different than mine and harder. I paid someone 2 hours labor to do rear. Just search YouTube.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've changed the passenger side. Pretty much the front, left and right are pretty easy to change. The rear engine mount is the only pain in the ass one to change because of the lack of space.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've changed the passenger side. Pretty much the front, left and right are pretty easy to change. The rear engine mount is the only pain in the ass one to change because of the lack of space.
Anywhere I can find a video or write up for this? I’ve searched online to no avail.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't think your tranny mount is the same. Yours is one piece not two. So ignore that. Does your right side look like the one in this video:
Yeah it does.... hopefully it’s just as easy

·
Registered
162 Posts
Out of curiosity, has anyone replaced these? I have the mounts from Rock Auto, I just don't want to pay the $4-600 I have been quoted. How difficult is it to replace these, and is there a write up or video on how to do this?
I recently replaced my right side mount (passenger side) and front engine mount. Is the front active mount the one you're referring to as the "lower transmission mount?"

They're not difficult to replace at all. For the side mount, I highly recommend removing the PCU. There are three connectors that are easy to remove, and then there are three 10mm bolts holding the bracket to the car. I recommend removing the PCU from the bracket first (secured by three more bolts) so you can easily undo the plastic clip securing one wire harness to the underside of the bracket. Once the PCU and bracket are out of the way, it's easy to access the engine mount. I reused all my bolts, but the two bolts on the bottom of the engine mount looked pretty nasty and should have been replaced; the fluid inside the old mount leaked out and collected on the threads.

The front engine mount isn't terribly difficult to replace either. I couldn't find any how-to guide or video outlining the steps for the 09-11 Pilot so I followed the instructions in the factory service manual which worked perfectly. You don't have to drop the subframe or do any other tricks. It's a bit tedious as you have to remove the front grille and radiator, but doing that gives you the proper clearance you need to access the mount.

With the radiator drained, hoses/brackets disconnected, and fan shroud bolts removed, the radiator tilts toward the front of the car allowing the fans adn then the radiator to be lifted out. I used two sharpie markers to plug the transmission fluid lines that go into the lower part of the radiator. The most difficult part of the whole procedure was reinstalling the four small bolts on the bottom of the fan shrouds to the radiator.

With the radiator out of the way, it's really easy to access the engine mount.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I replaced the front one, without removing the radiator. I do not recommend as it’s super difficult, but I was being lazy. That being said, the lower, I meant the rear. I have to replace both side mounts and the rear mount....

·
Registered
162 Posts
So I replaced the front one, without removing the radiator. I do not recommend as it’s super difficult, but I was being lazy. That being said, the lower, I meant the rear. I have to replace both side mounts and the rear mount....
Please post an update if you end up doing it. I am considering it however according to the factory service manual the catalytic converter needs to be removed (best to get new gaskets too) along with a bunch of other parts in the way to gain clearance.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw a video that didn’t have to remove the A-pipe... I uno. I’m gonna wait for my father in law to do it since he’s a mechanic

·
Registered
65 Posts
Please post an update if you end up doing it. I am considering it however according to the factory service manual the catalytic converter needs to be removed (best to get new gaskets too) along with a bunch of other parts in the way to gain clearance.
Just replaced the rear engine mount over the weekend. Had to take it out from the top and disconnected the hoses and connectors along the way. I asked a Honda Mastertech and he told me the best way out is to the top and not having to disconnect any of the CAT.
My buddy helped me with this project. It is a very big job and if you’ve got a buddy who’s mechanically inclined ask him for help. You’ll need a lot of patience. The route we took was going up towards the driver side. Need to get the airbox out of the way and disconnect the hoses most of them have coolant connections so be ready to plug them or use shop gloves and zip ties to seal them. Your arms will get scraped so wear long sleeve shirt. Use a 6ton jack stands for the height unless you have a lifter. Good luck! Sorry I didn’t have time to take any pics.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts