1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tools required:
1. Ratchet
2. 10mm socket
3. Screw driver (medium, stubby, and small)
4. Cross tip
5. Knife or razor

Materials:
1. 1 Can of Plasti-Dip (Lowes)
2. Glass Cleaner
3. 3M painters tape or masking tape.
4. Newspaper

Procedures:
1. Open Hood
2. Remove radiator top plastic cover clips (Qty 9)
3. Remove radiator top cover
4. Remove 2 10mm bolts from grille mounts
5. Remove 5 retaining clips (you have to reach inside the grille and you will feel a lip with the same type of retaining clips as removed from the radiator top cover.
6. Remove the front grille
7. On the back side of the grille remove all cross tip screws
8. The long chrome piece below the "H" emblem...be careful not to break the tabs when removing it from the grille.
a. The little chrome pieces (4 of them)....pop out the outer portion then you pull the piece away from the "H" emblem.
9. Clean the chrome pieces
10. Create a hanging device so the Plasti-Dip will not cure to something else.
11. Spray light coats several times. It is not like spray paint where you think you have to spray a little more. Resist the temptation to apply heavy coats. Allow ample time to dry between coats...4 hours.
12. Reassemble everything in reverse order.

I allowed all my pieces to dry for 24 hours. On the "H" emblem where I put tape, this is where you will use the knife/razor to ensure the Plasti-Dip isn't removed when removing the tape.
***If I had to do it again...I would have used High Temp Heat spray paint on the emblem surround piece and on the back tailgate piece.

I thought about doing the rims but I rotate the tires wheels every time I do an oil change. I did believe i would leave to many nicks or marks that would expose the chrome rims. After several tire rotations the rims would look black with speckled chrome. Also, when changing tires with new ones the machine will peel the rubber off the rims.

Here are the photos in order.

The retaining clips on the bottom of the grille. Attaches the grille to the front bumper.

Grille Removed

Back side of the grille. Remove all the screws.

Removing the Plastic pieces. Lift and pull away from the "H" emblem.

All Plastic pieces removed.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Removing the chrome plastic bezel around the fog lights. Take your time and be careful. Take a look at where the tabs are on the pictures.

Lowes Plasti-Dip

All chrome pieces

Painting Fog light bezels.

Painting emblem.

Grille Chrome pieces drying.

Tail gate chrome piece.

Reinstalling the grille chrome pieces

Installing the screws back into the chrome pieces.

Front Grille and Fog light bezels installed.

Tailgate Chrome now Black Plasti-Dipped.

Tools.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Another good DIY Army!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Awesome work! I wish I had your instruction guide before I started my project!

That's a unique treatment you did for the Honda "H". I don't think I've seen that before.

Do you have any more pictures of the rear? I'd like to see more of what the tailgate chrome (now Plasti-Dipped) looks like.

Thanks!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

That's a unique treatment you did for the Honda "H". I don't think I've seen that before.

Do you have any more pictures of the rear? I'd like to see more of what the tailgate chrome (now Plasti-Dipped) looks like.

Thanks!
Yes I can get them for you this evening.

I tried removing the tailgate plastic panel on the inside so I could remove the tailgate chrome but after about 30 minutes of frustration I put the panel back together and ended up Plasti-dipin it on the Pilot...not my preferred method because I wanted the Plasti-dip to bond around the chrome piece...better adhesion.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Armystrong: Looks great! Thanks for posting instructions. That's something I might do to my Pilot in the future. How do you think the plasti dip will hold up when having to scrub off bug splats? Could some come off if you scrub too hard?

·
Registered
23 Posts
@Armystrong: Looks great! Thanks for posting instructions. That's something I might do to my Pilot in the future. How do you think the plasti dip will hold up when having to scrub off bug splats? Could some come off if you scrub too hard?
Having just completed a very similar project (look here) I would say, yes, the Plasti-Dip will come off if scrubbed too hard. When I removed the portions that covered the wheel hub center caps, I just used my fingernail to get it started and once I got an edge removed, it pulled right off. So I would say, yes, you'd have to be careful. But I would say to use a soft cloth or sponge and don't scrub too hard and it should be fine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not quite sure how durable it is but it feels like it could deflect small gravel (depending on thickness...number of coats). I can tell you I will be careful when cleaning mugs off the small chrome grill inserts. I will periodically give a follow up when washing the Pilot. I do use a 2000 PSI pressure washer so we will see if it stands up to that as well. I believe the front will but because I couldn't get behind the lip on the rear chrome piece we will see if water can penetrate from the very side of the chrome piece and where the Plastic-Dip adhered too.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Thanks!
Here are some additional pictures

·
Registered
53 Posts
Very nice write up...just curious, when the grill was completely removed in picture #10, did you notice if you were able to access the foglights from above? I'm just trying to find another way to access the foglights other than from the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
@Armystrong - thanks for posting those additional pics of the rear - it is very helpful. I am now considering doing that myself!

Here's another useful resource for you - whenever I've done this type of project in the past that requires some disassembly / reassembly, I've found assembly drawings like this to be very useful. They're not always hi-res, but they give a basic idea of how things fit together.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Very nice write up...just curious, when the grill was completely removed in picture #10, did you notice if you were able to access the foglights from above? I'm just trying to find another way to access the foglights other than from the bottom of the car.
Great question. Being 6'3" (190lbs) my arm reach allowed me to touch both light assemblies after the grille was removed but it was as far as I could reach. One of the Chrome foglight bezels was tougher to get off then the other and I didn't want to bust it. Thinking I could pop a clip from inside (reaching behind the bumper) would be easier, I couldn't manage to find or feel much at all because I was reaching as far as I could.

I couldn't imagine having a tool in my hand and doing something with any dexterity. It was a long reach. I don't have a Honda Tech Manual so not sure how to remove the Foglight yet...but I will figure it out soon enough I am sure.

Not sure if this helps.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
@Armystrong - thanks for posting those additional pics of the rear - it is very helpful. I am now considering doing that myself!

Here's another useful resource for you - whenever I've done this type of project in the past that requires some disassembly / reassembly, I've found assembly drawings like this to be very useful. They're not always hi-res, but they give a basic idea of how things fit together.
Good advice. BTW, I am jealous on how you made that whole honda parts URL condensed down to two words...time to scrutinize what you did and how you did it.

Looks like you performed these steps:
1. [url
2. =
3. "copy & pasted url here"
4. ]
5. name the link
6. [/url]

Here is my shot at this...
Plasti-dip grille

·
Registered
432 Posts
Good advice. BTW, I am jealous on how you made that whole honda parts URL condensed down to two words...time to scrutinize what you did and how you did it.

Looks like you performed these steps:
1. [url
2. =
3. "copy & pasted url here"
4. ]
5. name the link
6. [/url]

Here is my shot at this...
Plasti-dip grille
Or you can type whatever you want the text to be, highlight it, click the
image, and enter the URL.

Like this!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great question. Being 6'3" (190lbs) my arm reach allowed me to touch both light assemblies after the grille was removed but it was as far as I could reach. One of the Chrome foglight bezels was tougher to get off then the other and I didn't want to bust it. Thinking I could pop a clip from inside (reaching behind the bumper) would be easier, I couldn't manage to find or feel much at all because I was reaching as far as I could.

I couldn't imagine having a tool in my hand and doing something with any dexterity. It was a long reach. I don't have a Honda Tech Manual so not sure how to remove the Foglight yet...but I will figure it out soon enough I am sure.

Not sure if this helps.
Thanks for the info...so you were able to touch the foglight assemblies, but would you have been able to change out the bulbs using this method? Reason I'm asking is because I would like to install HID's in my fogs, but I don't really want to take the bumper off to do so, so I'm looking for ther possible ways to do it...

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the info...so you were able to touch the foglight assemblies, but would you have been able to change out the bulbs using this method? Reason I'm asking is because I would like to install HID's in my fogs, but I don't really want to take the bumper off to do so, so I'm looking for ther possible ways to do it...
I was able to get my hands on the housing but I couldn't imagine having any dexterity to do take apart, disassemble or remove pieces. I couldn't see anything I was touching and wasn't sure how to get the Foglight bezel off so when I realized I had no clue what my hand was touching I left the back side of the foglight assembly alone. I then concentrated on how to remove the bezels from the front.

In all honesty, taking the grille off only takes a couple minutes...something like 9 clips and a couple 10mm bolts. I haven't looked under the vehicle to see how easy it is or isn't to reach the foglights. I'll look tonight.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I was able to get my hands on the housing but I couldn't imagine having any dexterity to do take apart, disassemble or remove pieces. I couldn't see anything I was touching and wasn't sure how to get the Foglight bezel off so when I realized I had no clue what my hand was touching I left the back side of the foglight assembly alone. I then concentrated on how to remove the bezels from the front.

In all honesty, taking the grille off only takes a couple minutes...something like 9 clips and a couple 10mm bolts. I haven't looked under the vehicle to see how easy it is or isn't to reach the foglights. I'll look tonight.
Cool thanks for the feedback... Accessing the foglights from underneath is not easy at all...if anything taking off the front bumper will probably be my only option...

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
Look at the instructions for adding the foglight kit to a non-foglight car. IIRC you do that by pulling the front wheelhouse liner rather than pulling the whole bumper off. Same access you'd use to aim or replace a foglight bulb.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I bought some plasti-dip and wanted to experiment with it. So I decided to give it a try and paint the tailgate chrome piece like Armystrong did. I didn't attempt to remove the chrome piece, so I just taped around it with scrap paper and the blue painter's tape. Under the chrome piece (by the top of the car tag), I taped up the rear view camera and put tape over the opening where the tag lights are housed.

I sprayed 4 coats total. I found that the best way is to hold the spray can at least 12 inches away while spraying and to apply light coats. Otherwise, there may be run/drip marks in the paint. I waited about 30 minutes in between each coat. After the final coat, I gave it plenty of time to dry and then removed the tape and scrap paper. I used an X-Acto knife to trim and peel off the plasti-dip around the edges and around the Honda emblem. There were a couple spots around the emblem where the dip didn't peel off clean. I used a fine point paint brush to touch up these spots with small amounts of the plasti-dip.

I'm happy with the way it looks. It blends in nicely with all the other black pieces and trim on the back. Next up, I plan on plasti-dipping the grille.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts