Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone attempted this? I note the manual says "special Honda tools" are needed. The oil filter is semi-obscured by a shroud in the passenger side wheel well and I was wondering if anyone could relay their hints for a mess-free oil change. Regards

·
Registered
385 Posts
(Not so) "special" tools are an oil filter wrench & a metric wrench (16 or 17mm?). Decent amount of room to manuever under there. Filter and oil plug located behind front, right wheel. Don't forget new "crush" washer . No skid plates or anthing to remove.

·
Registered
260 Posts
17mm wrench for the plug. The shroud obscuring the oil filter is plastic and easily flexed out of the way.

Al

·
Registered
10 Posts
11/16 inch works well... (if you don't have 17mm). I sprayed a little bit w-40 on and was very easy to loosen. i bought a cap wrench for oil filter at Peppboy ($4.5) that worked fine.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Oil Change

I did the first oil change this past weekend. Be careful attempting to loosen the drain plug. While the manual states that it should be torqued to about 40 lbs. mine was about 100 ft. lbs. When it finally broke loose I hit my knuckle on the cross member which is sharp. OK, take a break, go inside and bandage the wound. Now the oil filter-none of the filter wrenches I have fit so I go for the universal filter wrench (20 inch long slip joint plyers). The same guy at the factory must have tightened the filter as it was very tight also. Oh well, its done and I will heal. Next time I will wear the gloves.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I can feel your pain on the torque of the oil plug...It was VERY tight. The WD-40 is a good idea. I didn't really have the same issue with the oil filter though...it came loose pretty quick.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So if the crush washer seals oil in, how is it gonna let WD40 get in to make it easier to loosen the drain plug?

Bub

·
Registered
15 Posts
He he yo'self...it won't penetrate through metal. With the crush washer and proper torque there is no way WD40 will make it through there. So if someone sprays it on and the bolt is looser then they are foolin' themselves...the WD40 didn't do it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not to create more flame but WD40 is, in fact, a very thin penetrating oil that can, in fact, seep between tightened metal components. That's what it's designed for. Whereas motor oil, being much thicker, would not. Metal is actually more porous on the surface than you may suspect, allowing the seepage.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Actually WD40 is not a true penetrating oil, the WD stands for Water Displacement. It's not not bad for penetrating, but Aero Kroil or PB Blaster work much better.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Being a penetrating oil it would propogate into small clearances, like between a bolt and the tapped hole it's in. I seriously doubt it would get through the zero clearance of a sealed plug.
Also, just an FYI, using a torque wrench to loosen bolts is a bad idea. In this case no harm should be done, but when trying to remove a stuck bolt, you're more likely to break the bolt that way. The preferred method would be using a breaker bar which allows you to give a quick twist to get it loose.:4:

·
Registered
260 Posts
Kroil is a much better penetrant than WD40 and even it wouldn't make it through the aluminum crush seal. I agree, a non sealed fastener in a threaded hole is different. On the microscopic level there is actually alot of clearance between the threads. That's why even engine oil will make it through if the crush washer isn't used.
If you don't believe it try it, you'll be marking your territory;)

Al

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
NHPilot said:
...when trying to remove a stuck bolt, you're more likely to break the bolt that way. The preferred method would be using a breaker bar which allows you to give a quick twist to get it loose.:4:
Can you enlighten us (uh, me) a bit? What's a breaker bar -- is it a sheath-type device you put on the handle-end of the wrench for more leverage? How is that less likely to cause problems -- because the constant, too-weak twisting from a regular wrench might snap the bolt head off?

(my oil drain bolt was a bear to get off the first time...plus I just crawl under and don't use ramps, so there's not a lot of clearance to swing the wrench if the bolt's REALLY on there).

·
Registered
95 Posts
A breaker bar is very similar to a torque wrench only the lever arm does not flex. This allows you to jerk or even strike the end with a small mallet to tranfer the shock directly back to the bolt.
Here are a couple of links with pictures:
http://www.kyototool.co.jp/english/nepros/breaker.htm

http://www.hand-tools-power-tools.com/socket_sets/breaker_bar.htm

Trying this with a torque wrench slowly twists the bolt and is more likely to cause a shearing condition at the last thread closest to the head in the case of a bolt with a shank.
This is usually a problem with bolts that have rust causing an interference fit between the male and female threads. It is very unlikely that anyone would twist off the head on their drain plug bolt since the threads are in oil.

·
Registered
266 Posts
seadog said:
I thought using a torque wrench as a breaker bar was a no-no.
You are correct. Torque wrenches have a working range and use as a breaker bar causes them to either exceed their range or use the upper limits. A beam type torque wrench will fracture and fail and the micrometer types will need to be recalibrated if used at the extremes often enough.

·
Registered
61 Posts
What a Mess

I changed the oil this weekend and removing the filter was a mess. Oil everywhere. dripped from the frame all afternoon. Did I miss something? Also, I had the Pilot on ramps which put the drain quite a bit above the drain pan on the floor. When I removed the drain plug, the oil shot quite a ways (I'm gonna miss that rug in the garage, a fatality of the oil change). Hopefully things will go smoother next time (maybe I'll wear a rain coat).

1 - 20 of 38 Posts