Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

DIY air filter change

23K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been posted before. I searched and couldn't find a post on replacing my air filter element myself.

#7 ·
Okay, so this is why you should avoid using a dealership for service whenever possible for the easy stuff. My dealership is offering a "Special Service Coupon" for a Cabin Filter Change for $68.95!!!! As shown in the previous video, I bought the paper filter at the local auto store for about $17 (yeah, that's a price gouge on it's own considering it's just paper) and replaced it in 45 seconds. Basically the same with the engine filter.

#8 ·
That's a good dealership. I went in for one of my free "lifetime" oil changes at my Honda dealer and they had a special on tire rotation for $9.95. I said sure.

So they checked the car over and also said I needed a new air filter for $125.00, a cabin air filter for $170.00 and the rear differential fluid changed for $160.00. I said no thanks.

Use them for what they are good for and dump them when they go too far. The crazy thing is I would have paid $100.00 to have them change the air and cabin filters and the rear diff fluid and at that price they would have made a decent buck for a few minutes work.

#12 ·
For most folks who drop $30-40k on a car, a few $hundred every couple years for filters and fluid gets lost in the noise of total ownership costs. That said, I do all my own services because I can. I know it's done, done right, and generally it's less out-of-pocket at the time of the service. Just don't start adding up the costs of tools, the garage workshop with the lift, etc. Or the time spent 'saving' those big dollars. I figger that every dollar I pay for something to be done is at least two pre-tax dollars I had to 'earn' somehow. So long as I can justify the garage therapy time at less than twice my dealer's flat rate, I'm somewhere net positive.

#13 ·
We had an '03 Odyssey. The air cabin filter was oriented perpendicularly to the glove compartment, plus there wasn't the easy push-in flaps to take the cover off. You had a lot of micro screws to deal with (in theee most awkward orientations) just to get at the filter housing. Plus, there was a remnant fabrication plastic bar you had to saw away for the first time.

Changed my filter the other day on this '09 Pilot and boy what a godsend to have it parallel to the glove compartment & actually acessible in 10seconds. Lol @ $160 for diff change. $40 for the jug at the Dealer and your own time to drain & top up. Uh, yeah, no thanks.

#14 ·
I found out that my dealer does flat rate for their mechanics. You know what that means. RIP OFF. They wanted to charge me $170.00 for air filters. Got both at autozone for $30.00 for both. When the service manager called me to ask how my visit went I pointed this out about the air filters. He tried to tell me they were special designed by and for Honda cars. I asked him what was special about them other than they said Honda on them. He tried to double talk me about it. Can you just imagine how they clean people clocks who don't know any better....

#15 ·
I have to wholeheartedly agree with the costs that "stealerships" charge for certain items ...but.. you sometimes can get surprised. I had to replace a bunch of suspension items on my 2010 pilot. Got all but the sway bar bushings from the usual autoparts place I have an account with. Was forced to go to Honda for the bushings. I gulped as I asked the parts kid for them and upon his return, the 2 bushings cost a whopping $12 (yup $6 each). Here I was thinking they'd be $40 each and I'd be grumbling for the whole day saying ...

so, bottom line, know your prices!

#17 ·
For the record, K&N is making washable cabin air filters. They also make your HVAC run a whole lot more efficiently when they don't have to force air through a charcoal layer filter. I've used them in 2 cars, they're fantastic if you don't live in a smoggy area where you want the charcoal air filter.

#18 ·
Doing my first Pilot cabin filter replacement today. Youtube vids and posts here make it rather easy, though it is more involved on the Pilot than the Ridgeline (must remove the cross-member behind the bottom of the glove box door), but not that big of a deal. I was please to find the plastic cross-member has already been cut out, so at least the filter isn't 10 years old in this 2008!

#19 ·
DIY Engine Air Filter

I am replacing the engine air filter on my 2012 Pilot. I notice a thin layer of dust clinging to the inside of the cold air intake piping. Is it necessary or even advisable to dismantle, clean, and mantle the piping?

#20 ·
I am replacing the engine air filter on my 2012 Pilot. I notice a thin layer of dust clinging to the inside of the cold air intake piping. Is it necessary or even advisable to dismantle, clean, and mantle the piping?
I would take a tack rag and wipe that down myself whenever I'm in there ... also if you have dust on the engine side of the filter you need to check the seal around your filter ..
Your not supposed to the have any dust or debri on the engine side of the filter.

#22 ·
I vacuumed out the "dirty" side of the box before I put in the new engine air filter. Leaves and sand keep getting sucked in there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.