Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2021 Honda passport EX-L AWD
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!
I am looking to DIY my AWD transfer case oil change. My dealer wanted 200$ to do it. I have been scouring the internet and YouTube and wondering if this is an easy DIY or not. FWIW, I’ve done oils changes, brakes, tire rotations, starter, alternator, radiator and water pump replacements on more brands of cars than I can remember. (I am the go to DIY car person for my family)

can anyone link me to a good video on the steps to do this??

I’ve seen that the oil in the vehicle and the oil I am replacing it with need to be same temp? It’ll be like 20 degrees outside when I do this change.

should I pickup the Honda 3.1 ATF from my local dealer or is there an equivalent I can use?

I have the crush washers and pump to fill the fluid back up.

do I need to run the car to dump more fluid out or is just draining what’s in there enough and how much fluid should I purchase ? I’ve got 14k miles on the car.
Thanks for any insight you can give!

· Registered
537 Posts
My mechanic did mine when he added the oil cooler. Just did the drain and fill. None of the heat crap and mine runs fine. That's the comparable fluid. It was discovered earlier this year. Don't know of anyone using it yet. I will next change. I believe some were using the wrangler videos due to having the same transmission

· Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
1,264 Posts
@Sarah85 - The Honda 3.1 is for your automatic transmission. Many posts regarding self changing and temperature etc.

The Rear Differential should be Dual Pump Fluid (just over 2 qts some get 3 to make sure). It should be stamped on teh rear diff cover (DPSF). Some other older models used VTM-4.

I don't know on the 9 speed but the 6 speed has a transfer assembly on the transmission that takes about 1/2 qt of Honda HGO-1 (75W-85 GL-5 gear oil).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts