Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been running a K&N engine air filter for 8yrs and after watching project farms video on youtube where he tests engine air filters, I did more research and found that the K&N's suck at filtering to trade off for more airflow. There is tons of info out there on other forums and websites and I would rather sacrifice the better airflow of the K&N for better filtering. Form searching online, it's seems the best the K&N can filter down to is 15 microns and good paper filters can filter down to 5 microns so, I'll take the trade off of better filtering over the better airflow the K&N offers.

I'm not sure about other types of K&N style filters like AFE etc.... so, if anyone has any info on their filtering capability vs. paper, please share!

Only reason I'm switching back to paper is because I want my 03 Pilot to last as long as possible and decided that better filtering capability will be best. If you don't plan on keeping your Pilot for a long time then a K&N or whatever else shouldn't give you any problems and still be able to put tons of miles on your Pilot.

I'm going to switch back to a paper air filter and probably use WIX and clean the heck out of the MAF with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. Also, I sure won't miss having to clean the K&N anymore! :)

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
I've been using the AFE dry washable filters for a while. I like them but after watching that video I think I'm just gonna stick with paper from this point forward.

I hated the oil filters so K&N and others were never an option for me.

Reactions: Oh3CoPilot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been using the AFE dry washable filters for a while. I like them but after watching that video I think I'm just gonna stick with paper from this point forward.

I hated the oil filters so K&N and others were never an option for me.
I looked into AFE and it's filtering capabilities but, wasn't able to find anything online but, my guess is because it offers more airflow it most likely sacrifices filtering capability. Another thought is to keep your AFE and just put a paper in during the pollen season and in winter (when all the road salt dries on the road and gets airborne from cars driving in front you) then use the AFE for all other times.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Another thought is to keep your AFE and just put a paper in during the pollen season and in winter (when all the road salt dries on the road and gets airborne from cars driving in front you) then use the AFE for all other times.
Sounds like extra annual work for little gain. Just go paper and replace at recommended intervals and don’t look back.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
522 Posts
I had done a K&N panel insert filter in my old Corolla. Blackstone picked it up on one of the next UOA. They sent a note to check my filter and intake system for leaks as I had large jump in silica/dirt in my oil, I switched back to factory paper/cloth. I tried again on an Explorer and had preignition ping. It flowed more air at WOT for some performance benefits that butt dyno said was true, even wife commented more power. but cruising at speed even light throttle caused PING. Decarbonized motor, back to factory filter and all good. Just because I missed the extra power with loads/towing I tried the K&N again. PING returned right away even with premium fuel, tossed it in trash and replaced with factory version.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
If got a AFE ProDry on my Tacoma 60K on the filter. Lightly blow it out every 30K. No issues. The Pilot I put a AEM Dry filter since AFE doesn’t make one.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,274 Posts
That to me is the problem with reusable filters. Too many people don't properly clean them. The ProDry is a three step cleaning. Tap to get out as much loose dirt as you can, vacuum to pull out more dirt then into a tub of soapy water to fully clean it. Of course if you didn't buy two filters you vehicle is down for a few hours while it dries.

Much of the farm machinery we had came with reusable filters. We always spent the money on a second filter so a particular piece of machinery was never down because of a filter cleaning.

·
Registered
148 Posts
This seems a close enough thread to ask a related though tangential question.

The rubber accordion ducting from the air box to the intake on my pilot has a crack in one of the pleats about halfway. It is only noticeable if you look close and it isn't a big tear. It's only open if you pull on the ducting. But I figure it is probably drawing some air that isn't filtered.

Has anyone else had this? Would you replace the ducting, or patch it with something, or what?

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Never had it happen and yes I would replace the ducting. Its not like you are worrying about pebbles and rocks going down the intake into the engine, Its small, very small particles of dust and dirt that you are filtering out. Once in a engine they can act like sandpaper causing wear and tear on mechanical parts.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,264 Posts
All good advice above. So...
  1. Go with a paper filter.
  2. Replace that engine air intake tube.

·
Super Moderator
4,274 Posts
Heres my take on it. I've done the filter dance with both past vehicles and my HVAC system and after it all I am now back to paper over fancy. It just plain works.

I did the reusable filter thing on a couple of my vehicles. They were a pain to keep clean, i needed two of them or plenty of down time so they could be properly cleaned and dried. Plus they tell you that you need the special cleaning kit, regeneration kit, filter rebuild kit or what ever name they put on a couple of bottles of cleaner usually at a cost that almost as high as the filter itself.

Over the long haul I found that you just couldn't get them completely clean. Just the nature of the way they were built and the materials used. It's not like a stainless steel pot that you can clean with a good scrubbing with a Brillo pad.

I did the same thing with our HVAC system several years ago. Fancy tiny micron, atom catching filters that were costly as well using for a time a set of reusable filters. They were a pain to clean due to their size. I generally ended up taking them to the car wash to clean them with the power washer.

The HVAC tech one day gave me what I found to be sage advise. Just use the regular old paper filters and change them often. For the HVAC system often meant once a month. It's easy to remember when you have a reminder pop up on your computer on the first day of each month to tell you to change the furnace filter. The HVAC tech even commented a couple of years later that the furnace was cleaner now that I was just using the paper.

For my vehicles time for an oil change, time for a new filter, even if it's not called for. For $40 a year I can change the air intake filter with every oil change since my oil changes are generally in the 7K to 7.5K range. I know people that spend more than that in a month at Starbucks. Some of them probably spend that much a week.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
168 Posts
How do you know that there are "no issues"?
Do you have your oil tested?
Considering my last Tacoma had 190K with oil type and dry reusables from day one. Ran the oil between 6000-7500 miles...no need for a uoa. No oil burning and fairly clean throttle body.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts