Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my beloved Pilot to a dealer closer to my place than the one from which I bought the car to have the sidestep bars installed and showed the service consultant the wind deflector problem that's been plaguing me right from the beginning.

Mine's making a high pitched hissing noise at speeds over 40KM/H or about 25M/H and when the consultant took a look at under the hood, he said that it looks as though the initial installation job was botched and that's why they screwed in an additional 2 more screws right beside the ones that were first drilled (the ones at near the right and left edges) to salvage the job.

But even after that, since the problem of the wind noise hasn't gone away, he said I should just go for an aftermarket wind deflector, but NOT BEFORE I get a new hood installed by the dealer who first installed it.

I asked him if a proper touch up or painting job in the affected area would suffice and he said unless I get in writing from the dealer that they'll warranty the screwed and drilled area from rusting for the life of the car, he wouldn't accept anything less. He went on to mention that they'd replace the hood for their own customer if they botched an installation job as bad as they did.

Of course, it's always easier for anybody to be righteous when they're not directly involved, but what he said did touch a never with me. I'm not upset towards the consultant at all. He was very professional and couteous. I am however, very upset with the dealer that I got the car from.

The wind deflector was already installed when I picked up the car from the dealer. It's considered to be an OEM/factory install and not an after purchase install. I'll most likely be installing Form Fit deflector which means I won't need any drilled holes at all.

What do you peeps think I should do? Should I demand and accept nothing less than a new hood for my car like the consultant stated or just have them prep and paint the affected area properly (and be left with 2 gaping holes, most likely) and get something in writing that'll warranty the affected area under the hood?

Thanks for your time and courtesy.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
One Thing I Forgot to Mention

I forgot to mention that when they (the dealer I bought the car from) drilled those holes under the hood, all 4 of them, it ended up with very pronounced cracks and scratches in the drilled area. It looks as though the drill gun slipped a few times during the drilling and got the hood pretty good.

I did take the car back to the same dealer to show them this and the service consultant there said that they'll call me as soon as the touch paint for Havasu Blue comes in and they'll fix up the affected area. But he went on to mention that they won't repaint the hood because of this. Oh, they have yet to call me and it's been now more than 6 weeks.

·
Registered
920 Posts
First, I would contact Honda just to get it documented. Wait, on second thought, those people don't know much. Then, I would take it back to the dealer ask to speak to the tech who did the install. Ask the tech what the extra holes are for. He will more than likely try to lie. Then ask to speak to the service manager and ask him what the holes are for...again, probably more lies. Finally, tell them that you should have been informed of this and now would kindly like your hood replaced. They more than likely won't do it, but it's worth a try...

Good luck!

·
Registered
797 Posts
Get some good pictures of the damage before you let them try to repair it. That way if there is a problem in the future (rust, paint, etc.), you have good evidence of the original problem.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
I don't know how they could screw up the install. The spots to drill are pre-dimpled. Unless it is teh secong holes that they drilled to try to tighten the deflector.
I am thinking that it is a bit uneasonable to expect a new hood for a few holes on the unseen underside.
I am not sure i would even want a new hood. The original is factory painted, and the replacement will most likely be shop painted.
On several of the honda accessories, you ave to drill a hole. They always tell you to paint the area with touch-up paint. They never even mention primer.
I would take it back to the first dealer, have them remove the deflector, and get your money back for the deflector, the installation, and whatever else you can get.
Have them write up a work ticket saying what they did to install and un-install the deflector.

A few questions;
Are there inserts in the holes?
If so, is there touch-up paint of any color where they drilled the holes for the inserts, or did they just pop the inserts in?

As for the repair. If the hood looks good from the outside, I would probably keep it.
I am torn between having them put some touchup paint on it and calling it fixed (with the expectation that Honda will stand behind it), and fixing it myself by first applying a Zink primer, folowed by a hard primer, followed by touchup paint.

Either way, I would not worry about it too much.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
>I don't know how they could screw up the install. The spots to >drill are pre-dimpled. Unless it is teh secong holes that they >drilled to try to tighten the deflector.

Yeah, it looks as though the second set of holes were drilled to see if the wind noise problem would go away. What still bothers me is that they didn't inform me about it and furthermore, the noise is as loud as ever even with those extra holes. It was all for nothing.

>I am thinking that it is a bit uneasonable to expect a new hood >for a few holes on the unseen underside.

True. That's a reasonable thinking. I guess I was a bit emotional, but, it's just that, I've been wanting this problem solved for a long time now.

>I am not sure i would even want a new hood. The original is >factory painted, and the replacement will most likely be shop >painted.

Also, very true, indeed.

>On several of the honda accessories, you ave to drill a hole. >They always tell you to paint the area with touch-up paint. They >never even mention primer.

I see. In my case though, they didn't even bother using the touch up paint. Now, I understand that they didn't have any in stock for my color, even now, but what they should've done is then tell me to come back for the touch up paint when the paint comes in. They never did that.

They were content in having me drive the car with all those scratches and cracks.

>I would take it back to the first dealer, have them remove the >deflector, and get your money back for the deflector, the >installation, and whatever else you can get.
>Have them write up a work ticket saying what they did to install >and un-install the deflector.

Will do.

>A few questions;
>Are there inserts in the holes?

Yes, there are.

>If so, is there touch-up paint of any color where they drilled the >holes for the inserts, or did they just pop the inserts in?

Definitely the latter.

>As for the repair. If the hood looks good from the outside, I >would probably keep it.
>I am torn between having them put some touchup paint on it >and calling it fixed (with the expectation that Honda will stand >behind it), and fixing it myself by first applying a Zink primer, >followed by a hard primer, followed by touchup paint.

Well, for myself, since they drilled 2 more holes without success and having done that without informing me and didn't even bother using touch up paint or telling me that they will once the paint comes in, I'm going to try to get something in writing so I won't get stuck with a peeling paint or rust in the future.

>Either way, I would not worry about it too much.

Cool. Like I said, I was rather emotional when I first posted about this. Thanks a million!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MG Pilot said:
First, I would contact Honda just to get it documented. Wait, on second thought, those people don't know much. Then, I would take it back to the dealer ask to speak to the tech who did the install. Ask the tech what the extra holes are for. He will more than likely try to lie. Then ask to speak to the service manager and ask him what the holes are for...again, probably more lies. Finally, tell them that you should have been informed of this and now would kindly like your hood replaced. They more than likely won't do it, but it's worth a try...

Good luck!
I will drill them with pointed questions. But I'll settle for a good touch up paint job and something in writing so that I won't be stuck with a rusting hood because of their botched job. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
autobahn said:
Get some good pictures of the damage before you let them try to repair it. That way if there is a problem in the future (rust, paint, etc.), you have good evidence of the original problem.
Yeah! That's a very good idea. Thanks!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I concur with N_Jay, sometimes the fix is worse than the problem, as they say. You should get a proper reinstall and proper patching of the holes(no biggie), the deflector needs to now be free of charge or replaced with a different accessory should you decide to bag it, AND they should throw in a free oil change for your trouble.
They have the latitude to do this and them some, all depends on your level of demanding satisfaction.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
N_Jay said:
I don't know how they could screw up the install. The spots to drill are pre-dimpled. Unless it is teh secong holes that they drilled to try to tighten the deflector.
N_Jay, can you please tell me how you found out those pre-dimpled spots? Would the dealer refer to an installation manual for the deflector when installing it? If so, would those pre-dimpled spots be mentioned in the manual?

I'm just trying to find out where the installation went wrong. Even though there are those of us who have wind noise problem with the deflector, there are also quite a few, from what I can tell, that don't have such a problem.

I'm beginning to think that this is not a Honda OEM part issue, but rahter, improper installations by the dealers. Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow, MPSpecter, Unbelievable.

This is why I love this forum so much. The level of help and quality of information are both so high. Thanks again, MPSpecter. I'll print it out and go check out under the hood now.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hello RipRock,
Sorry about the problem you're having with the Hood Deflector. If possible, can you post a picture of both the right and left sides where they drilled incorrectly? I'd appreciate it.
Drilling a second set of holes won't do anything for the wind noise.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
rentua said:
Hello RipRock,
Sorry about the problem you're having with the Hood Deflector. If possible, can you post a picture of both the right and left sides where they drilled incorrectly? I'd appreciate it.
Drilling a second set of holes won't do anything for the wind noise.
Sure, I'll post them as soon as I can. I should've thought of this sooner.

Oh, just in case I wasn't clear in my comments, I'm not claiming that the second set of holes is what's causing the noise. I know the noise is due to insufficiently snug fit between the lip of the deflector and the edge of the hood. There is a thin gap that runs along the width of the hood with mine.

Why that occurred in the first place is anyone's guess. Mine is that they still improperly installed it. Just ask smitman. The lip of his deflector does not have any gap at all between it and the edge of the hood so, he has no noise problem. His installation was performed properly and precisely. Mine was not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What I meant was that the solution of them drilling new holes should have nothing to do with reducing the noise problem. The problem seems to be the rubber molding not contacting the hood. They probably botched up the installation of the Pop nut insert. That's why I'm anxious to see the pictures.
Thanks.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
rentua said:
What I meant was that the solution of them drilling new holes should have nothing to do with reducing the noise problem. The problem seems to be the rubber molding not contacting the hood. They probably botched up the installation of the Pop nut insert. That's why I'm anxious to see the pictures.
Thanks.
Oh, Oh, I see, I see...Cool, I'll post them as soon as possible. My digital cam's acting up on me (never get a Yashica), so, I'll have to develop the pics and get them scanned before I can post them. Bear with me and thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts