Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have on order a RedRock EX-L with the local dealer, but he has no clue when he will have one. Latest word was 8-12 weeks, but that was the same story a month ago when he told me 8-12 weeks.

I did a little surfin and found a RedRock near my mother-in-law's house, some 40 miles away. I wouldn't mind driving there for the car, but I am not sure about using a dealer so far away.

Do you have any opinions (pros/cons) for purchasing from a distant dealer?

thx

·
Registered
144 Posts
I purchased my Pilot from a dealer about 30 miles away, near my parents home. I don't think it's too far. I don't plan on doing the service there because I'll use a local dealer, but if needed, it's not too far from my parents home, so I could schedule something in connection with a visit to my parents. Presumably, you could do the same, but that depends on your relationship with your mother-in-law. :)

I recall reading posts of people flying to pick up their Pilots.

I can't think of any reason not to get the car now from a dealer 40 miles away.

Evergreen

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
My dealer is only 800 miles away

You are buying a car from Honda, not the dealer.
Honda will support it at any dealer.
Just don't get "free oil changes" or some other such stuff. (Unless you realy want to visit your in-laws ever 3750 to 7500 miles. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
I buy from a dealer 45 miles away because the people are great, as is their sales and service departments. Yes, I have a Honda dealer approximately 5 miles from my house;however I also have AAA towing/hauling to "my Honda" dealer 45 miles away should the need ever present itself.:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you guys rock for the fast replies

my local dealer said 8-12 weeks. a little surfin, a few calls, and i'm picking up my redrock ex-l on Monday

sweet!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Good find.
There's got to be 20 or more dealers in greater Boston.
I bought mine about 20 miles from home after being toyed with by a dealer promising delivery for over 3 months (they never did order it). I wanted my Pilot for the day they came out but had to wait about a week.
The only thing I miss out on is a courtesy loaner program from the dealer closest to me but they service it just as they would any car they sold. This is a very common issue especially with fleets.
Enjoy your Pilot.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Evergreen said:
I recall reading posts of people flying to pick up their Pilots.

Evergreen
I agree with N_Jay, you are buying your vehicle from Honda. We flew 400 miles to get our Pilot for two basic reasons:

1. Our local dealer is small, moves a few units at a very high markup and doesn't negotiate much as he owns all the Honda dealerships within a 60 mile radius.

2. By flying out of our market area to another area with some larger 'volume' conscious dealers, we were able to easily secure what we wanted any more than justify the trip.

·
Registered
138 Posts
fisherman said:
We have on order a RedRock EX-L with the local dealer, but he has no clue when he will have one. Latest word was 8-12 weeks, but that was the same story a month ago when he told me 8-12 weeks.

I did a little surfin and found a RedRock near my mother-in-law's house, some 40 miles away. I wouldn't mind driving there for the car, but I am not sure about using a dealer so far away.

Do you have any opinions (pros/cons) for purchasing from a distant dealer?

thx
Fisherman - another thought is: Call the dealer that you ordered your Pilot from, tell him that you found the car you want at another dealer 40 miles away. I'm sure he'll do a trade w/ that other dealer and have your car in the same day just to keep your business. You might even want to do a little more leveraging with the dealer you ordered from, like - "I'm going to buy from the other dealer unless you're willing to take and additional $___ off the price of the car." Be nice about it of course... :D

Good Luck on what ever you decide!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts