Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Display Audio constantly on in 2019 Pilot

99K views 171 replies 100 participants last post by  akdd108 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a new 2019 Pilot and today I started to have a problem with the Display Audio. It's actually a series of problems:
- The screen never turns off. I was at home twice for about 40 minutes and I was shopping for about 20 minutes and each time after I came back to the car, even before I unlocked the door, I could see that the screen was on.
- The rear view camera doesn't turn on anymore when the car is in reverse.
- None of the audio-related things work. I tried FM radio, satellite radio and CarPlay. Each of these three worked before but not anymore. I see messages like "Radio unavailable".
- Many functions are not available because the car permanently things that it's "in motion" and the message asks me to "Please try again when stopped". This even after I just unlocked the car, started the engine and kept the car in park all the time.
- I can enter a destination in the navigation system and it will create a route to there but it will not re-route me when I decide to take a different turn.

It's a Sunday, so I can't go to a dealer. I tried the "Emergency Service" but they said that they can't help me.

I am worried that the screen being on overnight might drain the battery and I am annoyed that I can't use the rear view camera or listen to anything.

I bet that all that is needed is a reboot of the system, but I couldn't find any instructions for this in the manual or in my web search. Anyone knows how to reboot it? Or maybe you have other tips?

I'm also worried that when I show up at the dealer, they will want to keep my car for a few hours rather than just rebooting the system in a few minutes. The dealer close to me is always busy and there are may customers in the service department the whole time.

Thanks in advance for help!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks! This idea occurred to me too and I will probably do it eventually tonight (once I stop driving around and the engine cools down) but I looked under the hood and the battery is not easy to access. I have even found a video of a Pilot model that looks similar to mine (Battery Replacement: 2016-2017 Honda Pilot - 2016 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L V6) and the number of steps to even get to the battery is larger than I expected.

#4 ·
I wanted to write a quick update. I waited until Monday morning and while the screen was on the whole night, the battery was fine in the morning, so next time, I won't be too worried about battery drain if it's just for one day.

On Monday I took the car to a local dealer and they said that I have to leave the car with them and they will try to perform a factory reset but they may have to "call Honda" for advice. When they called me a few hours later they said that the factory reset fixed everything except for the rear-view camera. They called Honda and were told to replace the whole tuner unit to fix the problem. They asked me to call again on Wednesday morning to get an update on when the tuner will arrive since they didn't have it in stock at the dealer. When I called, I was told that it will take another week for the part to arrive, so I went to pick up the car and resigned myself to driving it for a week without the rear-view camera. To my surprise, the camera worked, so I called them to cancel the order of the part.

I have no idea if the rear-view camera worked right away after the factory reset and the mechanics didn't notice that it worked or if indeed it didn't work when they tested it and magically fixed itself when I drove the car home.

#32 ·
Hi

I had the same issue, but before I could take it to the dealer for repair, it fixed itself. Has the issue reoccured for you since the fix? I have heard about the issue reoccurring for some people multiple times. I'm taking it to the dealer in a few days, but wondering if the issue will happen again at some random point. Isn't there a permanent fix for this?

#5 ·
I've had the same problem twice since I took delivery on Oct 19. In both cases the problem occurred when using CarPlay - music will just shutoff and the unit becomes unresponsive and won't turn off just like you described. Pulling the fuse (#29 in the underhood fusebox on passenger side IIRC) for a few seconds and re-inserting performs a hard reboot. Did the problem occur for you consistently or was this just the first instance since you got the car?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Hello ED27v2, How do I identify the #29 fuse? I am a novice at DIY car fixing and while pulling a 20 A rated fuse, it got tossed and landed inside the machinery somewhere. I don't want to try this with all 20 A. A way to identify the exact fuse would be great. Thanks a ton for the help.

#8 · (Edited)
My dealership replaced the infotainment system and now are going to replace the main vehicle wiring harness. Has anyone else had the vehicle harness replaced? My guess is my dealer damaged it during installation. - Going to contact Honda to replace car. Only 176 miles. I don’t want my car torn apart.

#42 ·
Pilot Infotainment system Defective

I have had my Pilot stripped already from dash to tailgate and roof liner to carpet and seats removed. The miles of wiring replaced as was the Instrument panel and Tuner in the back of vehicle. This SOLVED NOTHING! It caused me more headaches actually! The rattling, the scratches, the forgotten connectors!! And ... to top it all off, the problem came back!!!

Please keep me posted on your issue and if anything was resolved.

#9 ·
The fusebox under the hood on the passenger side. There is a row of fuses in front. The last one on the right is the one you want to pull. (To the left of it is 28, the horn, and to the left of that an empty slot). Just take it out for a few seconds and then replace it. The system will then be fine when it reboots. Mine has had this problem about five times over the past 2 months - most recently this morning. Wont turn off, says check tuner, etc... It also happened to me when using carplay but since I use it 90% of the time I wasnt sure if there was really a connection but sounds like it might be

#11 ·
Hi, I have a slightly different problem. I have posted video links below. My radio cuts in and out sounding almost like a short circuit and after a while the screen goes dead. It reboots itself after a while and sometimes continuously. I brought the Pilot in for the issue and they kept it for 4 days. Nothing conclusive. Honda could not replicate the problems I have but they only drove it for 5 km. They said there is one other reported incident like mine(I have since then learned about many others). Their theory is that either the battery was not fully charged before delivery or there is a defective cell in the battery. They said the battery was weak and needed to be charged for over an hour. I have since returned from a family vacation where I drove 10hrs each way and some local driving (2500km total) and I did not have any issues until the last 20 or so minutes of my trip home where the radio seemed to be cutting out again especially when I would hit a bump, the screen however did not go black. So, back to square one. I am not sure if this is directly related to your issue but it definitely shed light on a problem with the whole screen system.
Video links:
https://youtu.be/CLbu0N-zfr0
https://youtu.be/SucLS0ZeZH4
https://youtu.be/aCc2sEefISo

#56 ·
My 2019 is doing the same thing. Both front screens go blank and there’s crackling in the radio, even when I turn the system off you can still hear it. I’ve already taken it in to the dealership and they did a “hard factory reset” and also updated the software. It was ok for about 3 days with no issues but now it’s doing it again even worse. Like someone else said when you hit a bump it seems to make it start and I can beat on my dash and make it stop ??‍♀ This car is 5 months old I shouldn’t have to beat on the dash. My dealership has said Honda does not have a fix for this yet which is beyond frustrating.

Hi, I have a slightly different problem. I have posted video links below. My radio cuts in and out sounding almost like a short circuit and after a while the screen goes dead. It reboots itself after a while and sometimes continuously. I brought the Pilot in for the issue and they kept it for 4 days. Nothing conclusive. Honda could not replicate the problems I have but they only drove it for 5 km. They said there is one other reported incident like mine(I have since then learned about many others). Their theory is that either the battery was not fully charged before delivery or there is a defective cell in the battery. They said the battery was weak and needed to be charged for over an hour. I have since returned from a family vacation where I drove 10hrs each way and some local driving (2500km total) and I did not have any issues until the last 20 or so minutes of my trip home where the radio seemed to be cutting out again especially when I would hit a bump, the screen however did not go black. So, back to square one. I am not sure if this is directly related to your issue but it definitely shed light on a problem with the whole screen system.
Video links:

#13 · (Edited)
Well, this is disappointing, but thanks for the fuse pulling tip, that worked to get the radio unit rebooted!

On my 3rd day of owning my new 2019 Honda Pilot AWD EX-L there was some strange blipping noises and the audio went off, in addition FN would not load stations and the backup camera was not working, and when I turned the car off and locked it the center display staid on.

I was using Apple Maps navigation through Apple CarPlay with an iPhone 6s Plus connected with USB-Lightning cable, and also connected with bluetooth, and my daughter was DJing her music through bluetooth with her iPad Mini. After a 30 minute trip with no problems, dinner, and then on the 30 minute trip back home is when the audio went dead.

I do have an Apple Watch synced to my iPhone and it was tapping my wrist and showing turn guidance, if that could be related, but we did the same both ways...

#16 ·
2019 Touring. Third time to dealership. I had many of same issues, no audio connection, check tuner, no network communication messages and blank screen, plus my instrument cluster shut off! Replaced cluster, radio, tuner, currently the body harness, car is all apart. I have seen several other posts on this concern. From what the manager/foreman told me this is uncommon, funny. It has been at dealer since December 18th. I am a technician myself for different a manufacturer, unfortunately it happens. Just wish it wasn't on wife's new car. She doesn't want it back, and I don't blame her.

#17 ·
I’ve had a 2019 touring for about a month and have run into the same issue twice. Both times while using Apple CarPlay. I heard a strange noise prior to the unit freezing up. The easiest fix that I have found is to plug a USB keyboard into the main USB port that you would use for CarPlay and press ctrl+alt+del. sounds ridiculous, but it works. The system reboots and everything goes back to normal. I’m hoping another update comes out soon either by Honda or Apple that fixes this. Don’t want to carry around a keyboard all the time.

#76 ·
After originally posting this problem 11 months ago, I was hit by the same thing today. I checked the post to see if there has been any good advice. There are two great way to fix it but this trick by Dobbs is absolutely the best. I connected the keyboard and ctrl-alt-delete rebooted the system.

#18 ·
Thank you all for this! I've had my 2019 Pilot since October and I had it happen for the first time last night and it was -15 with the wind chill...the fuse pull worked like a charm! I also was using car play which I always do....using music from my phone and Waze app.

#19 ·
I have a 2019 EX-L we have had for about 3 days and my screen already froze up once with the Honda Logo on it. Wouldn’t go any further. We parked it for awhile and when came out of a store, it started working again. We wasn’t using car play at all, didn’t even have a USB cable plugged in. This is very discouraging to say the least... I am questioning my decision to buy a Honda after reading this thread and many others like it...

#22 ·
Update From last post on 19 touring. 5 times in shop. Tuner, instrument cluster, radio, and complete body harness replaced per Honda tech support. I also lost all functions/guages in instrument cluster with wife driving and my 2 year old in car several times. Car is currently at dealer again 2 weeks. Over 30 days in the shop combined This is a software problem in the infotainment and vehicle systems and currently has no fix. Waiting on options for trade or buyback. I refuse to pay 5-6k to trade this one in due to depreciation for a new one. I am sure all of you are experiencing some sort of same related issues or will be. Im am extremely unhappy with this vehicle. Still making payments for loaded pilot but driving base Crv loaner. Honda has lost my business for new vehicles. That being said, I still love my 05 crv with 160k miles. Simple and reliable

#23 ·
Something happened to my 2019 Touring Pilot. All audio functions stopped working after CarPlay was functioning for 2 hours. Hear a beep in the speakers and then Waze voice directions stopped working and my pandora audio stopped. Fm radio, xm radio and phone did not work and screen did not shut off after power car down and locking.

I pulled the fuse as instructed and that powered down screen. I’ll try using system again tomorrow. Hope it was a fluke but sounds like a bug. There was an update waiting to be loaded. Maybe it’s a fix. Every the optimist, but really appreciate this forum. Internet can be used for good!

#24 ·
I had this problem with my Honda Pilot 2019 Touring. And, pulling out the fuse mentioned by krgjevre32 did the trick. I confirm this was related to Apple play. However, it was never an issue in my case. I have been using Car play since I bought the car in December 2018. Only thing that has changed recently is new iOS update - 12.1.4

#25 ·
... The easiest fix that I have found is to plug a USB keyboard into the main USB port that you would use for CarPlay and press ctrl+alt+del. ...
Love that keyboard initiated reboot fix! LOL

... I have been using Car play since I bought the car in December 2018. Only thing that has changed recently is new iOS update - 12.1.4
I think I was on iOS 12.1.2 when it "froze" on me (12.1.4 is a pretty recent update).

#26 ·
I am having a different problem but still dealing with the audio for the 2019 Honda Pilot Touring, I start hearing three clicking sounds that continue even if I turn the audio off, it makes all sounds (radio, Bluetooth music, phone calls etc) cut in and out. I brought it in November (bought in August) and they said they did a hard reset on it and it fixed it. But it just happened again yesterday. I tried the fuse fix as well as pulling the audio amp fuse but unfortunately it didn't work. However I did figure out that if I go into System settings and turn system sounds to the lowest setting I don't hear the constant clicking but the audio cutting out (radio etc) are still there. Bringing it in tomorrow and they are going to investigate further since it returned after the reset.

#27 ·
This is the exact problem we have with our 2019 Pilot Touring. We took it to the dealership last week and they disconnected the power from the NAV head unit and did a software update. Currently the clicking sound stopped, but it will likely come back. The latest update I just received from the dealer is that Honda believes the issue is related to the dashboard wiring harness. They said they are going to pull out the dash and replace the harness on another Pilot that has this issue and will let me know if this resolves the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.