Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Finally got my Pilot back and so far so good. Haven’t heard any crackling or popping from the radio. It was in the shop for 4 days as they called asking if they could have it one extra day From the original 3 days they said because they didn’t want to rush it. Umm hell yeah take your time and do it right. I have attached what was done in case anyone wants to go to their dealer and demand they fix the issue. Also I suggest you open a case with American Honda as it seems to move things faster at the dealer
C38D367D-E1B9-4A2A-AE3F-804B746DD150.jpeg

·
Registered
664 Posts
Not sure if it is related but Auto Idle engine stop says unavailable sometimes and wireless charging is not working. I get the blinking light but no charge.

There is a whole list of conditions which will prevent the Auto Idle from working. The engine has to be at operating temp, the battery has to be fully charged, the interior has to warmed or cooled enough if the HVAC is on, the defroster must not be on, the fan must not be on high or the rear system on (supposedly but mine works with the rear on) etc, etc, etc! You can find a complete list in the owners manual or posted on line in the forum somewhere.

My 2019 will work pretty well if I leave the fan off. If I turn the fan on, it may take 10 minutes of driving before the Auto Idle works when the fan is on.

The wireless charging was found by some owners that the phone had to be centered a certain way. I don't have the wireless charging so can't say if it matters or not if the phone maybe moves around also.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Not sure if it is related but Auto Idle engine stop says unavailable sometimes and wireless charging is not working. I get the blinking light but no charge.

There is a whole list of conditions which will prevent the Auto Idle from working. The engine has to be at operating temp, the battery has to be fully charged, the interior has to warmed or cooled enough if the HVAC is on, the defroster must not be on, the fan must not be on high or the rear system on (supposedly but mine works with the rear on) etc, etc, etc! You can find a complete list in the owners manual or posted on line in the forum somewhere.

My 2019 will work pretty well if I leave the fan off. If I turn the fan on, it may take 10 minutes of driving before the Auto Idle works when the fan is on.

The wireless charging was found by some owners that the phone had to be centered a certain way. I don't have the wireless charging so can't say if it matters or not if the phone maybe moves around also.
Touch both battery cables together it will work

·
Registered
664 Posts
Touch both battery cables together it will work
No thanks! The car runs fine without messing with removing the battery cables completely from the posts and touching them together. The electronics on this car don't need to be messed with like that in my opinion. Have no idea what it would do to the battery sensor these are equipped with either.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem and stumbled across a quick temporary fix that works great until you can get the car to the dealer to be serviced correctly.

Instead of disconnecting the battery or removing the fuse to have a hard reset, try this:

1. Turn the car off and then turn it back on again.
2. While the car is running press the button on the drivers side to open the front hood.
3. Get out of the car and open the hood all the way. Make certain it is all the way up.
4. While the hood is open press the switch to turn off the car.
5. That's it! The cars center console should now turn off like it normally does.

Once the car turns off as it suppose to you can close the hood and be done with the problem temporarily. I say temporarily because when you go and turn the car on the next time you will have the same problem of the center console / nav system not turning off. The only way to correct this permanently is to either disconnect the battery or remove fuse #29. However most people will want to take it to the dealer to have this done. So turning off the car with the hood open is a good temporary solution that will help you solve things in a pinch and not drain your battery.

This has happened to me twice in 12 months and it's something that Honda should really solve.

I hope this helps others. Best of luck everyone!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Till a fix comes from Honda, just carry a cheap USB keyboard to enter CTRL, ALT, DELETE to do a reboot. Simpler than pulling battery terminals, or fuses, or pop the hood dance.

This might be handy to have around for when the problem occurs.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I am likely to get a 2020 EXL (not Touring or Elite) and WITHOUT RES/NAV

Will mine still be susceptible to this lockup? Are people thinking it is usually something that only happens while using CarPlay?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I am likely to get a 2020 EXL (not Touring or Elite) and WITHOUT RES/NAV

Will mine still be susceptible to this lockup? Are people thinking it is usually something that only happens while using CarPlay?
You can do a factory reset on the audio unit

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'll report on my Passport since those are so similar to the Pilot. I have a 2019 Touring model with just under 9,000 miles.

The display locked up for the first time a couple days ago. I was using CarPlay to navigate with Apple Maps. I heard the electronic thump noise in the speakers, as others have reported. The map actually kept updating on the screen but without sound. I tried the radio to see if anything else could play sound and it did not work. There was a "radio unavailable" message at the top of the screen.

When I turned off the engine and exited the vehicle the display stayed on. I let it sit for a few hours while I researched and found this thread. The display was still lit up when I got back to it. I pulled the fuse as a reset, which worked with no trouble. It's been fine since then.

I did verify that I already had the latest software update installed. So whatever is causing the problem is still in the current software version.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Purchased a 2020 Pilot Black Edition less than 48 hours ago. The CarPlay issue has already occurred twice. Like many of you, I searched google and found this thread. I’m appalled. I’ll try the keyboard and fuse trick but I shouldn’t have to resort to that with a car after 2 days. Traded in my Volvo on it — same phone and same iOS version in both cars; used CarPlay daily with no issues in Volvo. Sigh.
I hear you man, I’m having the exact same issue in my ‘20 Black Ed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm hearing 2019-2020 - Pilot/Passport/Odyssey having same issues.
Hearing that replacing and re-wiring the cables from the blu-ray player has sublimented part of the problem.
ButI just stopped using Carplay b/c of this issue since.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I wanted to also mention that I later tested plugging in a PC keyboard and can verify that using it to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL does work to reset the unit.

BTW, I did some research to see if I could find some sort of programmable USB key fob that could send that key combination so I wouldn't have to carry a keyboard around in my vehicle. I was not able to find one but I found a guy who has a product close to that and is willing to do the programming to make one for me. I told him I would ask to see if there is any other interest. It would be a key fob that would automatically send one CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination when plugged into the USB port. He figures they would be around $20.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I wanted to also mention that I later tested plugging in a PC keyboard and can verify that using it to do a CTRL-ALT-DEL does work to reset the unit.

BTW, I did some research to see if I could find some sort of programmable USB key fob that could send that key combination so I wouldn't have to carry a keyboard around in my vehicle. I was not able to find one but I found a guy who has a product close to that and is willing to do the programming to make one for me. I told him I would ask to see if there is any other interest. It would be a key fob that would automatically send one CTRL-ALT-DEL key combination when plugged into the USB port. He figures they would be around $20.
I love that we have to carry around an emergency KEYBOARD to Ctrl Alt Delete our freaking Honda Pilots when they have the blue screen of death

·
Registered
74 Posts

Count me in!

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm hearing 2019-2020 - Pilot/Passport/Odyssey having same issues.
Hearing that replacing and re-wiring the cables from the blu-ray player has sublimented part of the problem.
ButI just stopped using Carplay b/c of this issue since.
There is no re wiring there reposition the cable

101 - 120 of 161 Posts