Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 161 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealership replaced the infotainment system and now are going to replace the main vehicle wiring harness. Has anyone else had the vehicle harness replaced? My guess is my dealer damaged it during installation. - Going to contact Honda to replace car. Only 176 miles. I don’t want my car torn apart.
Hi,
I have 2019 pilot touring and it has audio problems as the 10" central console gets rebooted once after driving in 5-10minutes and frequently shows radio is unavailable or Network communication lost. Two times i took the car to the dealership, one time they replaced the radio and next time they said the attach the network wire harness for the infotainment system, but still, the issue is not resolved. I am planning to ask Honda to replace the car as its a brand new car and has 3000 miles. Have you successfully get your car replaced by Honda, if so please provide more details/process as how can i approach Honda to replace my car. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After some research, we are going to take the same approach. I am making the point with my dealership of documenting this as a safety area - in VA the lemon law says they only have 1 shot to resolve a safety problem. I put on my service request that this is IMO a safety issue and puts me at risk driving the vehicle with no sensors, speedometer or indicators. Will see how it goes and keep everyone up to date!!!
Had some problem with my honda pilot 2019 touring bought in July, 2019. Two times visited the dealership, but still the issue is not fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchased a 2020 Pilot Black Edition less than 48 hours ago. The CarPlay issue has already occurred twice. Like many of you, I searched google and found this thread. I’m appalled. I’ll try the keyboard and fuse trick but I shouldn’t have to resort to that with a car after 2 days. Traded in my Volvo on it — same phone and same iOS version in both cars; used CarPlay daily with no issues in Volvo. Sigh.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring. I've had it for 2 months and the CarPlay issue just occurred for the first time. I'm so glad i found this thread, the Ctrl+Alt+Del fix worked like a charm! I have the latest version so its possible its an IOS specific problem. Super frustrating to have to deal with this on a brand new car. Hopefully we'll see these bugs fixed with future software updates. I just wanted to pile on here because if this is a widespread issue, Honda needs to respond.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Purchased a 2020 Pilot Black Edition less than 48 hours ago. The CarPlay issue has already occurred twice. Like many of you, I searched google and found this thread. I’m appalled. I’ll try the keyboard and fuse trick but I shouldn’t have to resort to that with a car after 2 days. Traded in my Volvo on it — same phone and same iOS version in both cars; used CarPlay daily with no issues in Volvo. Sigh.
I’m in the same boat with my 2020 black edition. Just left the dealer and they’re going to replace the unit. This has got to be the worst brand new car experience ever

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi all, glad (or sad, depending on how you look at it) to have found this thread. We have a 2020 Pilot Touring purchased a month ago. We have experienced the same issue using CarPlay. Today we were on a 2.5 hour drive, using CarPlay for navigation & listening to a podcast while my daughter watched a movie on the RES. About 2 hours into the drive we heard a beep and the audio stopped, RES froze, and the touch screen worked as far as pressing icons but then was stuck with a “Loading” twirling circle. Forever. Even after turning off the car, the screen was stuck powered on. Also, backup camera did not display on screen either. Pulling the fuse exactly as described in this thread rebooted the system successfully ... wonder when it will happen again. So annoying.

·
Registered
222 Posts
We've had our 2019 Touring for 14 months (8,000 miles). Never an issue until last week.

Radio came up with a message 'unable to acquire signal'. Car was in the city & reset when car was restarted.

Then after reversing out of driveway, the rear-view camera wouldn't go away when placed into drive. After a couple of miles (while rear camera still showing on display), it was reset when engine restarted.

We have 100k HondaCare and won't be taking to dealer until this electronics mess is fixed.

I don't want my dealer using my Pilot as an experiment and tearing out the dash, seats, head-liner, carpets, wiring harness, console, etc. to see what attempt fix may work. No wonder Honda has a class-action lawsuit regarding the Pilots.

I've driven older government cars at work and don't want my new Pilot squeaking / rattling down the road like a 15 year old taxi :mad:!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank for your starting this thread. I just had the same experience. Glad to know I’m not alone!

Hi,
I have a new 2019 Pilot and today I started to have a problem with the Display Audio. It's actually a series of problems:
  • The screen never turns off. I was at home twice for about 40 minutes and I was shopping for about 20 minutes and each time after I came back to the car, even before I unlocked the door, I could see that the screen was on.
  • The rear view camera doesn't turn on anymore when the car is in reverse.
  • None of the audio-related things work. I tried FM radio, satellite radio and CarPlay. Each of these three worked before but not anymore. I see messages like "Radio unavailable".
  • Many functions are not available because the car permanently things that it's "in motion" and the message asks me to "Please try again when stopped". This even after I just unlocked the car, started the engine and kept the car in park all the time.
  • I can enter a destination in the navigation system and it will create a route to there but it will not re-route me when I decide to take a different turn.
It's a Sunday, so I can't go to a dealer. I tried the "Emergency Service" but they said that they can't help me.

I am worried that the screen being on overnight might drain the battery and I am annoyed that I can't use the rear view camera or listen to anything.

I bet that all that is needed is a reboot of the system, but I couldn't find any instructions for this in the manual or in my web search. Anyone knows how to reboot it? Or maybe you have other tips?

I'm also worried that when I show up at the dealer, they will want to keep my car for a few hours rather than just rebooting the system in a few minutes. The dealer close to me is always busy and there are may customers in the service department the whole time.

Thanks in advance for help!

·
Registered
2 Posts
thank you! Your solution worked like a dream for me!

Hi all, glad (or sad, depending on how you look at it) to have found this thread. We have a 2020 Pilot Touring purchased a month ago. We have experienced the same issue using CarPlay. Today we were on a 2.5 hour drive, using CarPlay for navigation & listening to a podcast while my daughter watched a movie on the RES. About 2 hours into the drive we heard a beep and the audio stopped, RES froze, and the touch screen worked as far as pressing icons but then was stuck with a “Loading” twirling circle. Forever. Even after turning off the car, the screen was stuck powered on. Also, backup camera did not display on screen either. Pulling the fuse exactly as described in this thread rebooted the system successfully ... wonder when it will happen again. So annoying.

View attachment 133676 View attachment 133677

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a new 2019 Pilot and today I started to have a problem with the Display Audio. It's actually a series of problems:
  • The screen never turns off. I was at home twice for about 40 minutes and I was shopping for about 20 minutes and each time after I came back to the car, even before I unlocked the door, I could see that the screen was on.
  • None of the audio-related things work. I tried FM radio, satellite radio and CarPlay. Each of these three worked before but not anymore. I see messages like "Radio unavailable".
  • Many functions are not available because the car permanently things that it's "in motion" and the message asks me to "Please try again when stopped". This even after I just unlocked the car, started the engine and kept the car in park all the time.
  • I can enter a destination in the navigation system and it will create a route to there but it will not re-route me when I decide to take a different turn.
It's a Sunday, so I can't go to a dealer. I tried the "Emergency Service" but they said that they can't help me.

I am worried that the screen being on overnight might drain the battery and I am annoyed that I can't use the rear view camera or listen to anything.

I bet that all that is needed is a reboot of the system, but I couldn't find any instructions for this in the manual or in my web search. Anyone knows how to reboot it? Or maybe you have other tips?

I'm also worried that when I show up at the dealer, they will want to keep my car for a few hours rather than just rebooting the system in a few minutes. The dealer close to me is always busy and there are may customers in the service department the whole time.

Thank you so much for this post! Our 2019 pilot has done the exact same thing a number of times. The pulling of the fuse has seemed to work for us! So glad to come upon your post.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Pilot Touring. I've had it for 2 months and the CarPlay issue just occurred for the first time. I'm so glad i found this thread, the Ctrl+Alt+Del fix worked like a charm! I have the latest version so its possible its an IOS specific problem. Super frustrating to have to deal with this on a brand new car. Hopefully we'll see these bugs fixed with future software updates. I just wanted to pile on here because if this is a widespread issue, Honda needs to respond.
Is there a trick to using the keyboard fix? I plugged a keyboard into the USB port and I don't see anything come up to show it is detected. Went to the USB screen and it doesn't show anything. I guess my question is how do I tell if the keyboard is one that works? (If it helps, it is the Rii 2.4G mini wireless keyboard from Amazon. I can't post a link since this is my first post.). Thanks!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2019 touring, purchased in October. I have had intermittent issues with the radio/Navi and rebooting of the instrument cluster. Love the car so I was willing to overlook it until a recall software patch is issued (it’s gotta be software IMO), however, yesterday driving out of town it glitched again and all went black. I tried pulling the fuse - nope. I’m going to try pulling the battery (when my husband gets here with the toolkit), and made a drop off appointment. I demanded a loaner due to the unsafe driving conditions of the vehicle. I absolutely refuse to let them pull the wiring harness- update the software and replace the Navi system, but you aren’t going to take apart a $40k vehicle for months on end without a known fix. It will never be right again.
Anyone have contact info for the class action suit??

yep same thing happened to me. You have to unplug the battery but that is only a temporary fix. You will need to take the car into the shop. Eventually they will replace the infotainment system. I’ve heard that only temporarily fixes the issues as the same thing will happen in a matter of months untilHonda addresses the issue.

View attachment 131917 View attachment 131918

·
Registered
8 Posts
I’ve had the same thing occur here. When I first purchased my 19 Touring AWD in Nov I noticed a crackle or pop from the speaker at random just here and there and thought nothing really about it. Then as I was driving more and more the infotainment would short out and go black, eventually taking out my front cluster. Only thing to fix the issue would be to unplug the battery to soft reboot the system. Also tried a hard reboot (taking terminals off battery and holding both ends of cables together) but it only temporary fixed the problem for approx 40 miles. I have just gotten the car back with a new infotainment and audio system. I’ve read this will only temporarily fix the issue but in a matter of months ill be back to the same old thing. I’ll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Hi this has now happened a handful of times on my 2019 Pilot Elite. Took videos of it happening. Same things as reported below. Sometimes a weird crackling noise other times no warning. Rear camera stops working all audio stops as well as rear entertainment. If turned off screen still on. After about 2 hours resets itself. Taken to dealership and they cannot figure it out. Filed a complaint with American Honda and some douse from California, Walter, who is a dealer rep called me to say that they can’t fix something they can’t find an issue with. This guy was a real tool, with zero empathy for the problem. After another lengthy stay at the dealership they told me it’s something to do with CarPlay and Pandora and an overload of data. I called BS on this because the first time it happened my phone was not connected. So here we are with a $45k vehicle that is having issues and American Honda basically telling me to pound sand. This is my 3rd straight Honda and it may just be my last. What really did it was the tool named Walter. Hoping they figure it out and do a software push soon because disconnecting the battery or the fuse is not a solution.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hello to all the unfortunate owners. I've come to join you. Had 2020 elite for 3 weeks, and then speaker cracking started, then the gauge and nav display both started rebooting. NOw the nav display is totally dead. the gauge displayed rebooted once while driving. This sucks. going to dealer tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dropped mine off at the dealer yesterday I was told it would take 3 days to replace the wiring harness to fix the issue of the crackling and speakers not giving sound. Just got a call that if they can have another day to replace the harness. I said hell yeah take your time and get it fixed right The only time I want to come back is for an oil change. So I’m suppose to receive my pilot back on Friday. I will keep you posted if the harness fixes the issue

·
Registered
4 Posts
2020 Pilot Elite, 10 days old and got the screen issue. Using Apple Carplay with Waze and Pandora and within 10 minutes, sound cuts out. Radio, trip computer, back up camera all don't work. Screen stays on all night. Next day after about 15 hours, the screen is now off and turns on normally when car is started.

Not sure if it is related but Auto Idle engine stop says unavailable sometimes and wireless charging is not working. I get the blinking light but no charge.

Will dealer try to charge me a diag fee if they cannot reproduce the problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 2019 pilot exl audio comes on whenever it wants. I’ll be just getting ready to fall asleep and hear the radio start blaring in the garage lol. I just assume a ghost is having a party and it turns off eventually. The one thing about my pilot that has driven me nuts since day one is the damn pre collision radars and dash alerts. Seems like every time it sees a shadow in my lane it thinks it needs to tell me to hit the brakes or it just hits the brakes for me.

·
Registered
67 Posts
2020 Pilot Elite, 10 days old and got the screen issue. Using Apple Carplay with Waze and Pandora and within 10 minutes, sound cuts out. Radio, trip computer, back up camera all don't work. Screen stays on all night. Next day after about 15 hours, the screen is now off and turns on normally when car is started.

Not sure if it is related but Auto Idle engine stop says unavailable sometimes and wireless charging is not working. I get the blinking light but no charge.

Will dealer try to charge me a diag fee if they cannot reproduce the problem?
No they won’t charge you

81 - 100 of 161 Posts