Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all - Huge thanks to everyone for their suggestions and ideas. But "Dobbs" (the one who posted about using a usb keyboard to fix this issue) idea was the easiest and most bananas solution.

Today (Aug 23, 2019) I was using carplay and all of a sudden it made a weird blip noise and everything stopped working and it said that the tuner was turned off, even though the display was on. Nothing worked - no carplay, fm/am, siriusxm, etc., including no backup camera. When I turned the car off, the display was still lit up and I was worried about it staying on all night and draining the battery.

I searched this thread there were lots of cumbersome suggestions like disconnecting the battery or taking out the fuse and putting it back in after 10 seconds. I really didn't want the fuss of trying to pull things apart.

My favorite and most easiest solution suggested was the most bananas:
Connect a usb keyboard, punch in "control+alt+delete" and it will work again.
I was worried it was a prank solution, but others said they tried it and it worked.

I promise this absolutely worked!!!! It was so easy and dumb and such a quick fix that we just laughed! I was a little scared to try, but it worked and I hope that something this easy will save a lot of you frustration and hassle of pulling things apart, or taking your car into the the dealer to reset.

After you punch in “control+alt+delete” the screen will go black for a second, then the honda logo displays. At that point, disconnect the usb, and you should be good to go!

I'm sure Honda will update the system, but for now we will keep the usb keyboard in the car (like another poster stated) in case it happens again. It would be awful if this happened on a long road trip.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Bought my 2019 Pilot Touring AWD 8 pass in May 2019. Today, about 2800 miles later I was driving with Carplay running Waze & Spotify, a weird beep was heard from the speakers sounded like something burned out, next thing I knew I lost all audio functionalities. I couldn't get anything to play. I couldn't turn the volume up or down, the graphical volume display isn't showing in the drivers dashboard. My Podcasts won't play through Carplay or Bluetooth audio. Yes I disconnected the phone and plugged int back it to retry with Carplay. My wife helped me and tried it with two phones. We drove home in silence, not that big of a deal. At least the car is moving and brakes work.

After getting home I had to do a bit of reversing, then I realized the backup cam stopped working. At this point I thought something definitely died. After I turned the car off, navigation screen stayed on. I tried to look for soft reset/hard reset from the Settings menu. The navigation thought that my vehicle is still moving and locked me out of resetting it. After I locked and armed the vehicle from the outside with remote, the navigation screen remained turned on.

A brand new Honda did THIS to me?!?!?!

A simple Google search turned me to this thread. First post I read involved discounting the battery, another involved pulling the radio fuse. Both sounded reasonable and old school until I saw the USB keyboard & ctrl+alt+del trick. This trick worked! Brilliant! Thanks to the original poster + all of you that confirmed this method.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just took delivery of my new EX-L Tuesday night. Looking on amazon for the smallest USB keyboard I can find so I can keep in the glovebox. Hopefully it is just a software issue and Honda comes up with a fix in the near future. Thanks to all who have shared their experiences and solutions!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello all,

First time poster here and have been following this thread since the dreaded Apply Car Play problem started which was about 2-3 months after buying my brand spanking new 2019 Honda Pilot (Touring). I have resorted to keeping a keyboard in my car just in case the problem arises which it has at least 5 times. I just don't use Carplay anymore! Has anyone heard or followed up of any upcoming updates to fix this problem? Like many of you, I have had this issue well documented by going to the dealer, calling Honda, etc but c'mon...this is a brand new vehicle and it feels like they are dragging their feet while no representative of the company seeming to know anything. Feeling frustrated because this is not the quality that I was hoping for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I have a new 2019 Pilot and today I started to have a problem with the Display Audio. It's actually a series of problems:
  • The screen never turns off. I was at home twice for about 40 minutes and I was shopping for about 20 minutes and each time after I came back to the car, even before I unlocked the door, I could see that the screen was on.
  • The rear view camera doesn't turn on anymore when the car is in reverse.
  • None of the audio-related things work. I tried FM radio, satellite radio and CarPlay. Each of these three worked before but not anymore. I see messages like "Radio unavailable".
  • Many functions are not available because the car permanently things that it's "in motion" and the message asks me to "Please try again when stopped". This even after I just unlocked the car, started the engine and kept the car in park all the time.
  • I can enter a destination in the navigation system and it will create a route to there but it will not re-route me when I decide to take a different turn.
It's a Sunday, so I can't go to a dealer. I tried the "Emergency Service" but they said that they can't help me.

I am worried that the screen being on overnight might drain the battery and I am annoyed that I can't use the rear view camera or listen to anything.

I bet that all that is needed is a reboot of the system, but I couldn't find any instructions for this in the manual or in my web search. Anyone knows how to reboot it? Or maybe you have other tips?

I'm also worried that when I show up at the dealer, they will want to keep my car for a few hours rather than just rebooting the system in a few minutes. The dealer close to me is always busy and there are may customers in the service department the whole time.

Thanks in advance for help!
Yes! Exact same problem! 2019 Pilot Elite delivered 2/2019. Dealer told me that it sounds electrical and to call back tomorrow. Should reset itself. Total BS

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes! Exact same problem! 2019 Pilot Elite delivered 2/2019. Dealer told me that it sounds electrical and to call back tomorrow. Should reset itself. Total BS
Try the keyboard (Control+Alt+Delete) trick mentioned above for a short term solution. It's tried and true in this group! Good Luck :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Try the keyboard (Control+Alt+Delete) trick mentioned above for a short term solution. It's tried and true in this group! Good Luck :)
When I plug a USB (Apple) keyboard in to the dash/CarPlay USB port it gives error message USB HUB NOT SUPPORTED and CTRL-ALT-DELETE not working???

·
Registered
322 Posts
When I plug a USB (Apple) keyboard in to the dash/CarPlay USB port it gives error message USB HUB NOT SUPPORTED and CTRL-ALT-DELETE not working???
Apple keyboard uses different key mapping. The Honda android system may not be able to decode it. Look for a cheap Windows USB keyboard.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Apple keyboard uses different key mapping. The Honda android system may not be able to decode it. Look for a cheap Windows USB keyboard.
OK, before I was able to track down a Windows keyboard, my audio/CarPlay came back online to functioning normally again. It was not working for about 18 hours... saying LOADING for audio, no audio functions at all and the screen would stay on even when car was turned off. So, for now it back online. But, I’ll get an old Windows keyboard just in case!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've had the same problem twice since I took delivery on Oct 19. In both cases the problem occurred when using CarPlay - music will just shutoff and the unit becomes unresponsive and won't turn off just like you described. Pulling the fuse (#29 in the underhood fusebox on passenger side IIRC) for a few seconds and re-inserting performs a hard reboot. Did the problem occur for you consistently or was this just the first instance since you got the car?
This helped me SO much, thank you!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well sign me up for the CarPlay bug club in the 2019 Honda Pilot Touring. I was listening to Apple Podcasts using CarPlay- heard a beep and then the sounds cut out. Switched to radio- nothing. Backup camera-nothing. Sirius radio-nothing. When I turned off the car the screen stayed on. THANK GOD for this thread! I plugged the keyboard into the USB, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and the screen went black and rebooted. While I'm grateful this worked and the issues isn't worse- how annoying! I've had this car for only a month!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well sign me up for the CarPlay bug club in the 2019 Honda Pilot Touring. I was listening to Apple Podcasts using CarPlay- heard a beep and then the sounds cut out. Switched to radio- nothing. Backup camera-nothing. Sirius radio-nothing. When I turned off the car the screen stayed on. THANK GOD for this thread! I plugged the keyboard into the USB, hit CTRL+ALT+DELETE and the screen went black and rebooted. While I'm grateful this worked and the issues isn't worse- how annoying! I've had this car for only a month!
Yep. I am also now part of the club with my 2019 Pilot Touring. I echo what others have said, “thank goodness for this thread!”. I was about 4 hours away from home when this issued occurred. I found this thread and was able to resolve by removing and inserting the fuse. I now have a keyboard in the car ready to use if needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had this same thing happen tonight about an hour and a half from home. Heard a little blip from the speaker and no more sound. Got a message "Tuner not found" and figured we'd blown the tuner but the music wasn't very loud. On the way home I was researching the problem and found this thread, thank heavens! When we got home noticed the rear camera didn't work and the radio remained lit after turning off the car. Thankfully someone posted a fix by plugging a USB keyboard into the "Apple Car Play" USB port and pressing Control Alt Delete... lo and behold it worked! I didn't even know we could plug a Keyboard into it! Thank you!

·
Registered
2 Posts
We had this same thing happen tonight about an hour and a half from home. Heard a little blip from the speaker and no more sound. Got a message "Tuner not found" and figured we'd blown the tuner but the music wasn't very loud. On the way home I was researching the problem and found this thread, thank heavens! When we got home noticed the rear camera didn't work and the radio remained lit after turning off the car. Thankfully someone posted a fix by plugging a USB keyboard into the "Apple Car Play" USB port and pressing Control Alt Delete... lo and behold it worked! I didn't even know we could plug a Keyboard into it! Thank you!
Oh I forgot to mention we have a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite bought Sept 2018 since someone was trying determine if it was a model issue or overall Honda issue. I love my Pilot but the electronics are rather glitchy and when I take it in I can't seem to replicate the problem(s).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
I’ve had a 2019 touring for about a month and have run into the same issue twice. Both times while using Apple CarPlay. I heard a strange noise prior to the unit freezing up. The easiest fix that I have found is to plug a USB keyboard into the main USB port that you would use for CarPlay and press ctrl+alt+del. sounds ridiculous, but it works. The system reboots and everything goes back to normal. I’m hoping another update comes out soon either by Honda or Apple that fixes this. Don’t want to carry around a keyboard all the time.
After originally posting this problem 11 months ago, I was hit by the same thing today. I checked the post to see if there has been any good advice. There are two great way to fix it but this trick by Dobbs is absolutely the best. I connected the keyboard and ctrl-alt-delete rebooted the system.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone had success with the latest software update released on 8-31-2019 (B.1.0.26) to remedy the problem at hand?
Pilot.JPG

·
Registered
93 Posts
Has anyone had success with the latest software update released on 8-31-2019 (B.1.0.26) to remedy the problem at hand?
Exactly which problem, there are a bunch of similar problems reported.

If referring the the sound cut-out after beep and/or display-audio freezing with Carplay, this is NOT a Honda bug, it's apparently caused by one of the latest IOS updates and started occurring a couple of months ago. I was listening to a TWIT Podcast last week and one of the guest hosts was lamenting about this happening in her BMW after a recent IOS update. So no "fix" is likely to ever come from Honda as apparently Apple broke it (for all manufacturers) and needs to fix it on their end.

I have zero similar issues with Android Auto and a Samsung phone, it works flawlessly 100% of the time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thank goodness for this forum.

I purchased a 2019 Honda Pilot Elite last Saturday and have been enjoying the car so far. However, I ran into the issue where the center console display would not turn off after numerous attempts even after the car was turned off. I tried turning the car on and off which did not fix this issue. In fact when I turned the car on, while the display was constantly on the radio would not load. This prompted me to do this seard on this forum. Kudos to whoever recommended the physical USB keyboard method (cntrl+alt+del). I guess sometimes in life, the fix is that simple.

Couple of questions for diagnosis:
  1. Seems like there are a few posters who actually went to the dealership with no success. This leads me to believe that this is a software issue vs hardware issue with the car? I am wondering if it is worth my time to take the car into the dealership, get the usual runaround from the dealer and for them to constantly replace otherwise good parts, etc....
  2. Another poster mentioned that he/she has had no issues with Android, so is it safe to assume that this is an Apple vs Samsung/etc issue and/or an issue with the pilot's firmware? If this is an Apple issue, one observation I had was that this issue happened when my wife's iPhone 11 pro which was still on iOS 13.1.1 was connected to CarPlay. I never had this issue with my iPhone 11 pro which was on iOS 13.1.3. I will have to monitor this as I have updated her phone to the latest iOS firmware. The pilot came with firmware which is the latest version B.1.0.26.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seriously hate this car. The screen and sound has frozen on me mid drive more than once. The rear camera is not working. Meanwhile I. Addition to this problem my car consistently makes a cracking noise - like static electricity. They have been unable to repair it. I am trying to get Honda to buy back the car. I claimed not having a backup camera is a safety issue and their response was that it’s just a feature. Apparently so is the radio.
Never again will I ever buy another Honda and I have had 4 in the past.

61 - 80 of 84 Posts