Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same exact issue when using iphone integration. A high pitched squeal then no audio. Pulling fuse resets. I checked for software update and it says I'm current.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Pilot Infotainment system Defective

My dealership replaced the infotainment system and now are going to replace the main vehicle wiring harness. Has anyone else had the vehicle harness replaced? My guess is my dealer damaged it during installation. - Going to contact Honda to replace car. Only 176 miles. I don’t want my car torn apart.
I have had my Pilot stripped already from dash to tailgate and roof liner to carpet and seats removed. The miles of wiring replaced as was the Instrument panel and Tuner in the back of vehicle. This SOLVED NOTHING! It caused me more headaches actually! The rattling, the scratches, the forgotten connectors!! And ... to top it all off, the problem came back!!!

Please keep me posted on your issue and if anything was resolved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 honda pilot which had plenty of issues. It was getting fixed and they gave me a 2019 pilot as a loaner. The 2019 had only 1200 miles on it. The infotainment was crap. It didn't work at all. It would play few minutes then go to static then turn off. Say no network connection. Reset itself over and over while driving. Then the entire dash part showing mph would go blank and I had no idea of my speed. The infotainment wouldn't work for the backup camera. It was terrible. I definitely will not be trading my current honda in for the new one. I can't wait to get rid of it and be done with honda.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have had my Pilot stripped already from dash to tailgate and roof liner to carpet and seats removed. The miles of wiring replaced as was the Instrument panel and Tuner in the back of vehicle. This SOLVED NOTHING! It caused me more headaches actually! The rattling, the scratches, the forgotten connectors!! And ... to top it all off, the problem came back!!!

Please keep me posted on your issue and if anything was resolved.
wow terrible to read this. I was in the market to buy one.

·
Registered
21 Posts
2019 Pilot: Radio Stays On with Ignition OFF

For people with audio systems staying on when vehicle is off. Honda says is most likely a software issue. Here is from a bulletin:

Are you having this issue while using Apple CarPlay?
• CarPlay beeps and stops working.
• If you try to switch to a different audio source, you see the message XM-Check Tuner or FM-Radio Unavailable.
• When you turn the ignition to OFF, the navigation display stays on.

We're aware of this issue and have it under investigation. So far, we know it's software related, so don't replace any
components. When we come up with a fix, we'll release an OTA software update.

As a temporary measure, just remove and install the radio backup fuse or disconnect and connect the battery. This will
reset the system.

Tech Line Summary Article
April 2019 ATS190402 Version 1

Thanks for posting the information from Honda. This same issue has happened three times to us (Dec, Feb, Apr) and each time required a hard reset using the #29 Fuse under the hood as specified earlier on this list. It only happens when we are running Carplay. (Maybe Waze too).

2019 Pilot Touring.

·
Registered
44 Posts
A class action lawsuit filed in the Central District of California on March 22 alleges that Honda knowingly sold vehicles with defective infotainment systems and refused to fix the problem.

Affected models include the 2018-2019 Odyssey minivan and 2019 Pilot midsize SUV.

Owners have reported frequent system freezes or crashes that prevent them from using features such as navigation, audio and the rear-view camera.

The plaintiffs claim Honda not only has failed to fix their vehicles' defect, but also replaced the defective parts with equally defective ones, leaving them caught in a cycle of “use, malfunction, and replacement.”
According to Steve Berman, managing partner of Hagens Berman Sobol Shapiro, who is representing Honda owners in the lawsuit, it is estimated that least 150,000 affected vehicles in the U.S. were sold during the timeframe in which Honda equipped them with the defective infotainment system.
The firm shared the following video that gives an example of the infotainment system malfunctioning while driving:

While no specific amount was provided, the lawsuit seeks financial reimbursement for owners who bought or leased an affected Honda Odyssey or Pilot.

Honda did not officially comment on the matter, but acknowledged a “software-related” problem with the Odyssey in a document released earlier this month. The company is apparently working on a fix that will be available through an OTA update.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Consumer Reports has dropped the Honda Odyssey from recommended status following its annual reliability survey, one of 12 models that didn’t make the cut this year.

What was the issue with the Odyssey? According to Consumer Reports, the minivan “had much-worse-than-average reliability,” with problems including the infotainment display freezing and losing all functionality, and power sliding doors that wouldn’t close.

The automaker told CR it had released over-the-air software updates which can be downloaded by the customer using any Wifi connection. As for the door problem, Honda plans to issue a service bulletin with specific dealer repair guidance soon

·
Registered
2 Posts
Honda Pilot 2019 Elite model here. I ran into same freezing infotainment software problem yesterday. Hope software fix is out soon. And do i need to be in the lawsuit to get paid?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2019 touring, purchased in October. I have had intermittent issues with the radio/Navi and rebooting of the instrument cluster. Love the car so I was willing to overlook it until a recall software patch is issued (it’s gotta be software IMO), however, yesterday driving out of town it glitched again and all went black. I tried pulling the fuse - nope. I’m going to try pulling the battery (when my husband gets here with the toolkit), and made a drop off appointment. I demanded a loaner due to the unsafe driving conditions of the vehicle. I absolutely refuse to let them pull the wiring harness- update the software and replace the Navi system, but you aren’t going to take apart a $40k vehicle for months on end without a known fix. It will never be right again.
Anyone have contact info for the class action suit??

Honda Pilot 2019 Elite model here. I ran into same freezing infotainment software problem yesterday. Hope software fix is out soon. And do i need to be in the lawsuit to get paid?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have been having the same issues. Just click my profile and look up my posts. After much deliberation, I decided against joining the class action - in most states, filing a civil suit (including joining a class action) precludes you from taking advantage of lemon laws. So, my plan was I would let them replace the dash harness, and when that didn't work, start the lemon process. I I took it in and let them do the work and drove off in my loaner. Got the car back a day later. So far, it's been 12 days and everything is working perfectly. And, I can't even tell they disassembled anything. Not a scratch or scuff in sight and no rattles, vibrations, or other annoying sounds. Not expecting it to last based on others accounts in this forum, but from what I've learned from researching the problem and the way the system is designed, they don't really know for sure which harness is the problem until they replace one and the problem goes away. Maybe I just got lucky and they got it right the first time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been having the same issues. Just click my profile and look up my posts. After much deliberation, I decided against joining the class action - in most states, filing a civil suit (including joining a class action) precludes you from taking advantage of lemon laws. So, my plan was I would let them replace the dash harness, and when that didn't work, start the lemon process. I I took it in and let them do the work and drove off in my loaner. Got the car back a day later. So far, it's been 12 days and everything is working perfectly. And, I can't even tell they disassembled anything. Not a scratch or scuff in sight and no rattles, vibrations, or other annoying sounds. Not expecting it to last based on others accounts in this forum, but from what I've learned from researching the problem and the way the system is designed, they don't really know for sure which harness is the problem until they replace one and the problem goes away. Maybe I just got lucky and they got it right the first time.
After some research, we are going to take the same approach. I am making the point with my dealership of documenting this as a safety area - in VA the lemon law says they only have 1 shot to resolve a safety problem. I put on my service request that this is IMO a safety issue and puts me at risk driving the vehicle with no sensors, speedometer or indicators. Will see how it goes and keep everyone up to date!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,
I have a new 2019 Pilot and today I started to have a problem with the Display Audio. It's actually a series of problems:
  • The screen never turns off. I was at home twice for about 40 minutes and I was shopping for about 20 minutes and each time after I came back to the car, even before I unlocked the door, I could see that the screen was on.
  • The rear view camera doesn't turn on anymore when the car is in reverse.
  • None of the audio-related things work. I tried FM radio, satellite radio and CarPlay. Each of these three worked before but not anymore. I see messages like "Radio unavailable".
  • Many functions are not available because the car permanently things that it's "in motion" and the message asks me to "Please try again when stopped". This even after I just unlocked the car, started the engine and kept the car in park all the time.
  • I can enter a destination in the navigation system and it will create a route to there but it will not re-route me when I decide to take a different turn.
It's a Sunday, so I can't go to a dealer. I tried the "Emergency Service" but they said that they can't help me.

I am worried that the screen being on overnight might drain the battery and I am annoyed that I can't use the rear view camera or listen to anything.

I bet that all that is needed is a reboot of the system, but I couldn't find any instructions for this in the manual or in my web search. Anyone knows how to reboot it? Or maybe you have other tips?

I'm also worried that when I show up at the dealer, they will want to keep my car for a few hours rather than just rebooting the system in a few minutes. The dealer close to me is always busy and there are may customers in the service department the whole time.

Thanks in advance for help!
Hey everyone,

I have the EXACT same issues as Stanley. These issues came out of nowhere, and for me, it started while listening to Pandora via CarPlay (06/25/19, and we purchased the Pilot about a month ago - 2019 AWD Touring 8-Passenger). I heard a beep and all the audio and CarPlay stuff stopped functioning properly. The back up camera wouldn't come up in reverse, and the system factory reset was unavailable since it said the vehicle was still in motion.

I looked through some of the solutions in this thread and I can confirm that the USB keyboard solution where you plug in the keyboard via the phone USB port, and press control + alt + del soon after ABSOLUTELY works! It reset all the infotainment stuff AND the backup camera (screen will show the Honda logo and the cool diagonal lines like you just started the vehicle). I first tested the reverse camera AND IT WORKED!

I read a post where the person doesn't want to have to carry a keyboard around just to reset this thing - I agree. BUT, I'd rather spend less than $20 for a USB keyboard (wired just in case I couldn't set up the wireless connection), than deal with repeat visits to the service department where they'll have to tear the vehicle apart, keep it in the shop for a long while, and charge a whole lot of $$$ only to have it happen again. And I also wouldn't want to mess with the fuse box. I'm no expert, but I anticipate this issue happening again until Honda comes out with a legit software update. I'd rather take the cheaper, less inconvenient approach than the latter more frustrating and more expensive approach.

- Tim

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey everyone,

I have the EXACT same issues as Stanley. These issues came out of nowhere, and for me, it started while listening to Pandora via CarPlay (06/25/19, and we purchased the Pilot about a month ago - 2019 AWD Touring 8-Passenger). I heard a beep and all the audio and CarPlay stuff stopped functioning properly. The back up camera wouldn't come up in reverse, and the system factory reset was unavailable since it said the vehicle was still in motion.

I looked through some of the solutions in this thread and I can confirm that the USB keyboard solution where you plug in the keyboard via the phone USB port, and press control + alt + del soon after ABSOLUTELY works! It reset all the infotainment stuff AND the backup camera (screen will show the Honda logo and the cool diagonal lines like you just started the vehicle). I first tested the reverse camera AND IT WORKED!

I read a post where the person doesn't want to have to carry a keyboard around just to reset this thing - I agree. BUT, I'd rather spend less than $20 for a USB keyboard (wired just in case I couldn't set up the wireless connection), than deal with repeat visits to the service department where they'll have to tear the vehicle apart, keep it in the shop for a long while, and charge a whole lot of $$$ only to have it happen again. And I also wouldn't want to mess with the fuse box. I'm no expert, but I anticipate this issue happening again until Honda comes out with a legit software update. I'd rather take the cheaper, less inconvenient approach than the latter more frustrating and more expensive approach.

- Tim
Hey Tim.

Smart move. Your issue (and Stanley's) is likely a software problem. Here's a Honda April 2019 SNA about the issue if you haven't seen it.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10158719-0001.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L Touring we purchased in November and we have so many issues with the audio system since we bought it. At first, I would hear static coming from the speakers. Than the audio would turn off and no sound would come out at all. It will say audio disconnected. Than I had the entire screen and my drivers gauges go completely black. It even will go out when I open my drivers door sometimes. I took it the Honda dealership and they did a system reboot but it still does it. They told me that whats happening is the apple phones IOS is not working correctly with the newer cars. It causes it to glitch because Honda has not caught up with the Apple technology. I do notice that when I use the Apple CarPlay it glitches a lot more. But we should be able to use these features after all the money we have paid for this new car. It should work. Very frustrating!

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a 2019 Honda Pilot EX-L Touring we purchased in November and we have so many issues with the audio system since we bought it. At first, I would hear static coming from the speakers. Than the audio would turn off and no sound would come out at all. It will say audio disconnected. Than I had the entire screen and my drivers gauges go completely black. It even will go out when I open my drivers door sometimes. I took it the Honda dealership and they did a system reboot but it still does it. They told me that whats happening is the apple phones IOS is not working correctly with the newer cars. It causes it to glitch because Honda has not caught up with the Apple technology. I do notice that when I use the Apple CarPlay it glitches a lot more. But we should be able to use these features after all the money we have paid for this new car. It should work. Very frustrating!
Hi angeliaa,

Check my other posts. Your problem sounds very much like what I had, which is a hardware problem. I had to have my dash harness replaced to resolve my issue. However, other owners have had harnesses replaced and it did not resolve the issue for them.

Check this out:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10160592-0001.pdf

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2019 is doing the same thing. Both front screens go blank and there’s crackling in the radio, even when I turn the system off you can still hear it. I’ve already taken it in to the dealership and they did a “hard factory reset” and also updated the software. It was ok for about 3 days with no issues but now it’s doing it again even worse. Like someone else said when you hit a bump it seems to make it start and I can beat on my dash and make it stop 🤦🏼‍♀️ This car is 5 months old I shouldn’t have to beat on the dash. My dealership has said Honda does not have a fix for this yet which is beyond frustrating.

Hi, I have a slightly different problem. I have posted video links below. My radio cuts in and out sounding almost like a short circuit and after a while the screen goes dead. It reboots itself after a while and sometimes continuously. I brought the Pilot in for the issue and they kept it for 4 days. Nothing conclusive. Honda could not replicate the problems I have but they only drove it for 5 km. They said there is one other reported incident like mine(I have since then learned about many others). Their theory is that either the battery was not fully charged before delivery or there is a defective cell in the battery. They said the battery was weak and needed to be charged for over an hour. I have since returned from a family vacation where I drove 10hrs each way and some local driving (2500km total) and I did not have any issues until the last 20 or so minutes of my trip home where the radio seemed to be cutting out again especially when I would hit a bump, the screen however did not go black. So, back to square one. I am not sure if this is directly related to your issue but it definitely shed light on a problem with the whole screen system.
Video links:

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wished I researched this forum before I traded in my 2016 touring for a 2019 touring. I haven't had any issues yet, fingers crossed! With only 650 miles since I bought it on 4th July. I also am an Samsung Android user.
Has any Android users have this happened to their 2019? I'd like to know. I haven't used AndroidAuto yet, scared to replicate the issues of CarPlay.
This is honestly making me miss my 2016 now.

2016 Touring AWD MSM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Having the same issues. Awful. 15 days in the dealership and counting. They have no idea how to fix...and Honda tech line is not only unhelpful, they are also slow and nonresponsive.
This is terrible on so many levels and a safety hazard.

·
Registered
1 Posts
The fusebox under the hood on the passenger side. There is a row of fuses in front. The last one on the right is the one you want to pull. (To the left of it is 28, the horn, and to the left of that an empty slot). Just take it out for a few seconds and then replace it. The system will then be fine when it reboots. Mine has had this problem about five times over the past 2 months - most recently this morning. Wont turn off, says check tuner, etc... It also happened to me when using carplay but since I use it 90% of the time I wasnt sure if there was really a connection but sounds like it might be
This worked. I have a 2019 Honda Pilot and this just happened to me. I've only had my car a month! Very disappointed. But pulling the fuse out and putting it back in worked!! Thank you. Still gonna take it to Honda to report the issue.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wished I researched this forum before I traded in my 2016 touring for a 2019 touring. I haven't had any issues yet, fingers crossed! With only 650 miles since I bought it on 4th July. I also am an Samsung Android user.
Has any Android users have this happened to their 2019? I'd like to know. I haven't used AndroidAuto yet, scared to replicate the issues of CarPlay.
This is honestly making me miss my 2016 now.

2016 Touring AWD MSM
I've experienced and issue with Android auto several times where the radio will lose connections to all audio sources. It happens with android auto running and then audio cuts out. I attempt to change inputs and XM, FM, AM, bluetooth all say "no audio connection". I can't fix the issue without either pulling the fuse or turning the car off for an extended period. I have tried a quick stop, turn off ignition and open the door and nothing resets it short of the more extreme. I may had to throw a keyboard in there to see if that works around it.

41 - 60 of 95 Posts