Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I know this question has been asked a million times, but should I wash my car with dish soap? I want to strip all the old wax off my car and redo everything. I've read that it does something to the rubber? Is this true? I have a foam sprayer with my pressure washer but I never use it when I wash the car. Is it a good idea to spray the car with dish soap with the foam, sprayer, rinse the car, and then go ahead with my normal wash?

·
Registered
433 Posts
No. Neither car. My rubber and trim was ceramic coated which was the purpose for the dish wash soap. If u rinse it good enough and add a rubber/plastic protectant there shouldn't be a problem.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh actually... I just read that a clay bar can get rid of old waxes. Is this true?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Never tried. I've used the dishwashing detergent/water and a toothbrush if the first wash didnt work. Simple green if it's really stubborn

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Diswashing liquid cannot get all the contaminants off. Use a dedicated wash/stripper like https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Strip-Wash-16oz-Contaminants/dp/B077KDC4D6, then follow with the clay bar and lube. That should get all the previous wax and other contaminants off of the paint. You should then be ready for any wax/sealant after that.
I was hoping that I wouldn't have to get this soap because I'm hardly ever going to use it. If there's no other option then I'll consider it.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I used dish soap for 15 years until...

Diswashing liquid cannot get all the contaminants off. Use a dedicated wash/stripper like https://www.amazon.com/Adams-Strip-Wash-16oz-Contaminants/dp/B077KDC4D6, then follow with the clay bar and lube. That should get all the previous wax and other contaminants off of the paint. You should then be ready for any wax/sealant after that.
They came out with good strip washes. I use quality sealants like Seal n Shine or Last Coat but I have never used a ceramic or other coating on my vehicle.

Technically a clay bar will remove an old wax coating but I prefer to have it stripped before I clay so the clay bar is focusing on contaminants. And, now that they have clay mitts I strongly prefer to use them. We live in a golden age of automotive detailing products, the only problem is we live in what might be the worst age for paint thickness and quality.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Well Hell,
Other than running it thru the car wash, I don't do any or this. We did get the monthly thing so we could make sure the underbody is washed also- to get the salt they put down EVERYWHERE after a bit of snow.
It's got some kind of sealer wax- last time it rained- I did notice the water beading up on the body work. So there is that.
Many of you here are light years ahead of me when it comes to vehicle care.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used dish soap for 15 years until...

They came out with good strip washes. I use quality sealants like Seal n Shine or Last Coat but I have never used a ceramic or other coating on my vehicle.

Technically a clay bar will remove an old wax coating but I prefer to have it stripped before I clay so the clay bar is focusing on contaminants. And, now that they have clay mitts I strongly prefer to use them. We live in a golden age of automotive detailing products, the only problem is we live in what might be the worst age for paint thickness and quality.
Did the black plastics on your car go bad? I'm literally only going to do this once so I'm really trying to avoid buying a whole new soap just for removing wax.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
They wont go bad just make sure to rinse well and put a protectant on after
Which protectant do you use? I've tried some a while ago and it made the black plastic shiny a bit. I want it to look the way it came from the factory which is why I haven't put anything on those areas.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Did the black plastics on your car go bad? I'm literally only going to do this once so I'm really trying to avoid buying a whole new soap just for removing wax.
If the soap caused an issue it wasn't immediate... Some vehicles have plastic that faded over the years, others don't in our fleet. I wouldn't say the soap was at fault.

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm planning to use dish soap and use a protectant. Seems like the fading of black plastic is inevitable.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Project farm just did a good review on trim. Check out the video. Plenty of reviews. Chemical guys VRP gets good reviews from pan the organizer and other detailers

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I'm planning to use dish soap and use a protectant. Seems like the fading of black plastic is inevitable.
If you are really concerned about any residue from the soap it should be long gone by the time you clay bar, polish and panel prep spray the vehicle. Of course don't polish the bare plastic but I still run the clay bar and IPA/panel prep on plastic.

Reactions: ys1219
1 - 20 of 20 Posts