Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a few interesting differences between the Pilot and the MDX behind the middle row.

1. The Pilot allow entry into the third row seats from both sides. The MDX only allows entry from the passenger side.

2. The ceiling area of the third row has roof handles and lights in the Pilot, but not in the MDX.

3. There are 6 utility hooks on the floor and 4 hooks above them on the Pilot, while the MDX has 4 floor hooks.

What does this suggest? The center of the rear ceiling may be the answer. While the MDX has a rear center speaker and a sloping/stylish rear roof, the Pilot has a seat belt for more seating and more utility.

Comments?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hope the pictures turned out okay. I shrank them down to 15%.

The last point is pictured below.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the side-by-sides. It's the little utilitarian things like you show, rather than the sporty exterior of the MDX that helped me sway my purchase to the Pilot. I appreciate the little things more and more as I use my Pilot. (New period is over and Pilot is now being used as the hauler it was intended for.)

·
Registered
311 Posts
I looked at an MDX just last week which was about 6 weeks after I bought the Pilot. Simply wanted to see what some of the differences were first hand. There was no need to look before I bought the Pilot as I was already pushing the $ ceiling on the Pilot. I did like the interior upgrades on the MDX. Anyway, back to the general issues of this thread. If my memory is correct it seems to me I noticed that the tailgate, actually the glass area, on the MDX is raked toward the back from top to bottom while the Pilot's is more vertical. The salesperson mentioned how the tailgate on the MDX would open fully in less space than the Pilot. However, it also seems to me the overall length of the MDX is a tad more than the Pilot which would negate if not nullify this supposed advantage. Also, the third seat on the MDX is split 50/50 (two passenger) and, as we all know, the Pilot has a split 60/40 (three passenger) seat.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Ferdball said:
What does this suggest? The center of the rear ceiling may be the answer. While the MDX has a rear center speaker and a sloping/stylish rear roof, the Pilot has a seat belt for more seating and more utility. Comments?
Wow - thanks for the pictures. Its great to see them from a side-by-side like this.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Kinda Interesting Similarity

Have the chrome Honda exhaust tips for a while now (5 months) and no problems. Actually took them off today to adjust and saw no sign of corrosion what so ever. Just wanted to share that when I bought these the parts guy remarked

"...want to have the same chrome tips as the 2003 MDX huh?"

Kinda laughed it off thinking to myself , "this guy does not know what he's talking about, the MDX has chrome exhaust pipes not tips." :p

But to my surprise I was stuck in Bay Area traffic yesterday and I saw a car carrier loaded w/ 2003 MDX's and sure enough each one had the chrome tips screwed on to the end of the tail pipe.

Looked back at Ferdballs MDX pics and the tips are screwed on also. Is Acura cutting back?

***Ferdball, hope you don't mind... I used a cropped pic of the MDX to show the exhaust tips.)

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Kinda Interesting Similarity

2k3_nbp said:
hope you don't mind...
No problem about using the pics. I should be helping the family with Thanksgiving preparations, but instead, I'm lying on my back taking these.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Re: Re: Kinda Interesting Similarity

Ferdball said:

No problem about using the pics. I should be helping the family with Thanksgiving preparations, but instead, I'm lying on my back taking these.
Wow that confirms it. They are screw on chrome tips. Thanks for the effort Ferdball. I didn't do the "lay on the back pic" but here's a shot of how it looks on my Pilot.

Attachments

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Check out the nice starburst. Photoshop, or was this the real thing?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
All in all ... the MDX has more luxury ... while the PILOT has more utility ...

I thought the MDX were chrome tips as well ... BTW, the chrome tips on your NBP PILOT look great ... looks like that's next on my order list.

PrG

·
Registered
30 Posts
Wow !! You guys (collective "guys", not excluding "gals") certainly take great pics .... always so clear and informative ... I'll have to put tips on my Pilot when it arrives (late Dec). As an aside story .... our 91 Honda Accord had nice chrome tips .... nice enough that someone like one of them enough to steal it ... no way would it have fallen off by itself. I'll have to give some thought on how to ensure they stay on the Pilot ....

·
Registered
316 Posts
Ferdball said:
Check out the nice starburst. Photoshop, or was this the real thing?
No Photoshop. Just Pure Bay Area Sunshine and an older Sony Cybershot. It must have been near 65-70 degrees over Thanksgiving during the day and we're already in December.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts