Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a current owner of a 2016 Pilot and recently learned how to interpret the Maintenance Minder feature, now that we're out of our prepaid service period and I'm about to start performing the regular maintenance. It is nearing 45k and it is saying it is due for a transmission fluid change. The transmission fluid was already changed once at 27k per the dealer's recommendation, so it seems premature to change it again only 18k miles later.

What have other's experienced for the approximate mileage when the maintenance minder recommended the transmission fluid be changed?

This same dealer also recommended a coolant flush at 40k miles, but I opted not to have it performed yet because that seemed early to me based on experience from other vehicles.

I'm also wondering what others have experienced for the mileage when the Maintenance Minder recommends a coolant replacement?

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My transmission fluid was changed via a TSB at 37,000 miles but they didn’t do the transfer case fluid. I just did that last week at 58,000 or so. Just a reminder to you in case that wasn’t done when you did the ATF.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
I followed the maintenance minder for our 2012 and will do the same with the 2019. The 2012 has 110k on it now, our daughter has it. It still runs like new.

Fortunately my dealer never tried to push anything before it was due.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the replies so far. I should have included in the original post that it's 2WD with the 6 speed transmission.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out is if I can pass on this ATF fluid change and get on track with the maintenance minder and if the maintenance minder called for a coolant change during the last oil change and it actually needs to happen.

My suspicion is the dealer never reset the service reminder for the transmission fluid at the 27k change and that it is not time yet for a coolant change.

·
Registered
6,854 Posts
I'm a current owner of a 2016 Pilot and recently learned how to interpret the Maintenance Minder feature, now that we're out of our prepaid service period and I'm about to start performing the regular maintenance. It is nearing 45k and it is saying it is due for a transmission fluid change. The transmission fluid was already changed once at 27k per the dealer's recommendation, so it seems premature to change it again only 18k miles later.
The next MM prompt for a transmission fluid change will probably occur at around 75K miles.
So, maybe wait until your next oil change to change the transmission fluid, then get on schedule with the MM after that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have the Honda extended warranty, and the way I interpreted it is that I need to follow the Maintenance Minder and any service/recall Honda stipulates over the life of the car. This is all I will ever follow.

When I called to schedule my first service around 7k miles, the dealership told me I was overdue and needed an A13 service instead of the A1, which adds a transmission fluid flush...at 7k miles, on a brand new car. This was a ploy by the dealer to do more work than necessary. I will never return to that dealer.

If the dealer really recommended a trans fluid flush as purely preventative maintenance at 27k, it sounds to me like you fell for their ploy. If you have an extended warranty, I'd call Honda and ask for explicit written instructions on how to remain compliant with your terms. You might need to do the trans fluid again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts