Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know Honda has been a reliable car until i bought my 2019 Pilot. There has been clanking noise underneath that a dealership hasn't be able to fix. I guess trying a different brand like Toyota or Kia will be a great idea after all.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Honestly, all car manufactures suck now. Every single one of them is riding the line between minimizing costs and maximizing profits. Contracts going to the lowest bidder crap and they are totally willing to accept 5% of component A will be defective from the supplier within 500 miles because they charge $X dollars less and it's a net gain in $$$ compared to the warranty costs. Yes, we all drove a car from a manufacture in the past for 200K miles with absolutely no problems - those days are over IMO. Between electronics, transmissions with too many gears, the need for constant innovation, manufacturing practices that penalize mistakes let alone actually stopping the line and fixing a problem immediately because it costs too much money, etc it has become nearly impossible to mass produce reliable vehicles with zero defects (or even a small number of defects).

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can certainly agree with PWMDMD. The main factor in my choice of Honda vs the competition was the reputation of the local dealer. The service department at my local Honda dealership is great. The service manager is more concerned with happy, returning customers than making money. Example: I installed the heated steering wheel in my 2018 Odyssey myself but had to take it to dealer to have the sensors(VSA, back up camera, etc) recalibrated. The charge - $40. Most dealer would charge $120+ just to connect your car to their diagnostic computer. My 2nd choice & the Pilot's closest competition(IMO), was the Highlander. However, I have two Toyota dealerships close enough for convenient service, but I have little faith in their service departments. Yeah, it's nice to buy a new car and have zero issues with it, but if I do have a problem, I am confident that my local Honda dealer will take care of me. Another thing that I have observed from browsing auto forums(not just the Pilot), is that a LOT of the issues are a lack of understanding of the vehicle systems. A failure of the sales person to adequately explain the features and a failure of the buyer to spend some time with the owner's manual

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My problem did not arise because of my failure to spend time in the owner's manual or lack of understanding. The dealership doesn't care much because i didn't purchase the car from them. It took 1 month for the first attempt to fix the issue and after several miles of driving the issue came back.

·
Registered
102 Posts
My problem did not arise because of my failure to spend time in the owner's manual or lack of understanding. The dealership doesn't care much because i didn't purchase the car from them. It took 1 month for the first attempt to fix the issue and after several miles of driving the issue came back.
My experience is most dealerships suck too. I'm lucky I have a pretty good Honda dealership near me but it's just luck. I've had more horrendous experiences with Honda dealerships (and Toyota and Subaru and Acura) than positive experiences.

FWIW...Lexus has been pretty good and Audi was pretty good but I never needed out of warranty work.

·
Registered
171 Posts
From the information you've shared, it appears that your primary issue is having a bad mechanic. Until you address that, you're unlikely to make much progress. Assuming that the dealer doesn't care is self-fulfilling. If you provide sufficient motivation for someone there to care, you might get somewhere.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The vehicle is under warranty. Dealer gets paid if they find and fix the issue. They do not care where u bought the vehicle.

Help the dealer by recording the clanking sound on your phone.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The service advisor told me that the mechanic wasn't get paid fixing my car because it wasn't bought from their dealership. My plan is trade my pilot in 3 years after the warranty. Honda's quality hasn't been great compared to a decade ago.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
The service advisor told me that the mechanic wasn't get paid fixing my car because it wasn't bought from their dealership. My plan is trade my pilot in 3 years after the warranty. Honda's quality hasn't been great compared to a decade ago.
That service advisor is completely full of ****. I bought my 2012 in October 2012 in PA, then moved to FL two weeks later. My dealer in FL has done ALL of the service on it - recalls, warranty work, and non-warranty maintenance/service. Any Honda dealer can do warranty work on your new 2019.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Lol...so many dealerships can't get out of their own way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can certainly agree with PWMDMD. The main factor in my choice of Honda vs the competition was the reputation of the local dealer. The service department at my local Honda dealership is great. The service manager is more concerned with happy, returning customers than making money. Example: I installed the heated steering wheel in my 2018 Odyssey myself but had to take it to dealer to have the sensors(VSA, back up camera, etc) recalibrated. The charge - $40. Most dealer would charge $120+ just to connect your car to their diagnostic computer. My 2nd choice & the Pilot's closest competition(IMO), was the Highlander. However, I have two Toyota dealerships close enough for convenient service, but I have little faith in their service departments. Yeah, it's nice to buy a new car and have zero issues with it, but if I do have a problem, I am confident that my local Honda dealer will take care of me. Another thing that I have observed from browsing auto forums(not just the Pilot), is that a LOT of the issues are a lack of understanding of the vehicle systems. A failure of the sales person to adequately explain the features and a failure of the buyer to spend some time with the owner's manual
I totally agree. We have 4 Hondas at our house now, both due to the reliability of each purchase, and the superior service and treatment we get at our Honda dealer.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Failure to spent time with the Owners Manual has nothing to do with the issues we encountered with our pilot here in this forum.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.