Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just reccently bought a Pilot, and it is a great vehicle. However, I am pretty disappointed in the volume of information available in the navigation system. In the town where I live (Austin), the coverage of streets is excellent. However, the coverage of restaurants, gas stations, etc. is really quite limited. Also, they don't cover gas stations, restaurants, atms, etc along interstate roads, which would be extremely useful.

I don't understand why there isn't a greater volume of information there. 4.7 Gig should be enough to cover pretty much all the streets and details for even smallish towns instead of the 100 or so towns that the Nav system covers. Microsoft Streets seems more thorough, and it only takes two CDs!

Now, the operation of the nav system is great. It does what it does very well. It is just frustrating because it could be so much more.

Is there any chance we will see an alternate source of data for the system (ie 3rd party DVD disc)? Or are we stuck with just the Honda data.

·
Registered
63 Posts
You read my mind

I was driving around last night waiting for daughter to get out of Sing, when she asked I bring her some McD's after the performance. Not knowing the area around her HS (she's a frosh), I figured great job for the NAV.

Well aside from the fact that I always have to enter the city I'm in when finding Places, I could not find the Golden Arches anywhere. Why am I so upset, come on I live in Brooklyn, NY (everything's been here since the beginning of time) and it was McDonald's for crying out loud.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Fast Food Not Listed

If the Pilot NAVI is similar to the one in the Acura TL, most typical "fast food" locations are NOT listed. I have also been unable to find most convenience stores. Probably too many of them , I suppose.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Kruzo

Gee, your attitude is becoming as ugly as your avatar.

ChiefPilot,

You are right, that would probably require another DVD. The funny thing is that it does find McD's in Florida and elsewhere.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Someone siad that next year (04) the NAV will be the dual layer 8 gig DVD, like the MDX has. Also has a bigger screen and voice recognition. Is this newer system a lot better? I am really impressed with the Microsoft Streets and Trips maps, which seem to have EVERY street in the US, along with points of interest on only 2 CDs. So on a dual layer DVD, they should be able to have every street.

I was not impressed with the current NAV, so I am waiting till next year to get my Pilot. Hoping for another color option or two also.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This thread is really helpful for me. I just joined the board today. I'm trying to decide between a V6 6 speed Accord and a Pilot to replace my '93 Prelude VTEC, but I'm in no hurry.

I'd gladly wait another year to get a better NAV and perhaps the 260 hp 3.5 L engine the MDX has.

Why not buy an MDX? No Acura dealer in Wyoming or Montana!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Edmunds.com has a Pilot in their long term test fleet. When they tested the NAV system, it didn't work too well for them either. :( Other than that, they seem to like it so far.

Pilot LT test - Edmunds.com

1 - 9 of 9 Posts