Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 3 Hondas in the last ten years. I love them. '09 CRV that was hit by a drunk driver at about 50 mph, while we were at a standstill, and my kids and I walked away. Great car. 2012 Civic that I still have and like, and also currently have my 2015 Pilot EXL, which is the car in question, and I purchased from a dealer (Community in Orland Park, IL) pre-owned in 2018.

Found out that the threads were stripped on trans drain this week. Have an extended warranty sold to me by Community Honda in Orland Park. They sold me the car and the warranty. The warranty company claims they won't cover stripped threads, despite the contract saying nothing of the sort (not even referring to anything like that). Fine. They're a 3rd party warranty company, which means they're likely shady by definition. Community Honda in Orland Park, though, were the last ones to touch the transmission when I bought it, as part of their inspection before selling me the car. Nobody will do anything. Pointing fingers all around. To be expected, I suppose, but still very frustrating.

When I found the stripped hole problem, I took it to Schaumburg Honda, a Rohrman group dealer, since it's closer to where I live. I bought my first two Hondas from them, and have in the past found them to have relatively honest service. When I sent the car over there on a flatbed tow truck, the car had no trans plug in it. Trans drain was dry since after I removed the drain plug, all the fluid came out. None had leaked out prior to this, and it all came out when I removed the malfunctioning drain bolt. Fine. That's to be expected.

The service rep called me and said in addition to the stripped plug hole, I had the following issues:

1. Expired coolant. I had changed it literally 2 days before.
2. Expired steering fluid. Same. Changed it literally 2 days before. Complete change, too. Not just the turkey baster.
3. You need a whole new trans, since you have a slight shudder in your trans. I asked, "How can you tell?" He told me when the car is driven, it shudders. The car has no transmission fluid in it, and I put a big sign on the steering wheel before having it flatbed towed over there that said, "DO NOT DRIVE. NO TRANS FLUID" in both English and Spanish.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt that they didn't actually drive my car without trans fluid, which, unless I'm missing something, leaves me with the other possibility that they're just lying and want to sell me a new trans. The car never shuddered, and was never driven without anything other than a full trans fluid fill.

TL;DR Avoid both Community Honda in Orland Park, and, I'm sad to say, Rohrman Schaumburg Honda as well (though I used to like them.)

Story ends with me paying Schaumburg a diagnostic fee for nothing, and having it towed to my local trusted mechanic for a new tapped sleeve in the plug hole. Hopefully that solves it for now. I will say, though, if you just ask for the service shop to reduce their BS diagnostic price, they absolutely can. One ask and he dropped it from 150 to 75, so don't let them tell you they can't.

Mostly venting here, but also, if you need service or sales, avoid these two dealers. Go elsewhere. Thanks for reading.

·
Registered
103 Posts
From what I've been told by a friend who used to run an NTB, usually they will charge you the diagnostic fee unless you get the work done. My business does repairs (other things) and that's our practice as well.

My one experience with that Rohrman Honda was about 2 years ago when I was looking to buy a particular used Pilot they said they had. They confirmed they had the Pilot online and would have it ready for a test drive...drove up there. They can't find it (they didn't bother to call and let me know beforehand)...did I want to look at another. The bait and switch was so obvious. Then when I was gonna walk, they found the pilot, but it was under contract. Then it actually wasn't sold, it must be out for a test drive with someone else. Then no...it was at a sister dealer down the street. Then they were gonna get it and bring it over. Then they said it wouldn't start and needed a bunch of work. I pointed out that they said it was on a test drive earlier and their website description said something like it was "super clean and ready for a cross country adventure!". Guy just shrugged and said he didn't write the descriptions.

It seems all of these dealers are slimy. I just purchased a 19 Pilot from McGrath Honda and their story on everything changed several times. I went in with a bank prequal. They said the pre-qual numbers THEY got were different than what I was given...but they could give me something "close to that" from a different bank. It was too late in the day to get through to my bank to confirm (though the next day my bank basically said that my numbers were correct and the dealer submitted a different app to them with different numbers). Then the guy said he would charge me no extra fees because he makes his money on volume...Get to the finance guy. There were loads of dealer fees. "Oh we're sorry for the misunderstanding". Talked them down on the fees. Then after literally 2 hours of negotiating and threatening to walk, they hand me one key. They said the car only came with one key and the previous owner only had one key. I declined the gap insurance so I would have to buy another key for a couple hundred or or something like that. Then I flipped. 2 minutes later they come back with the second key with the matching tag to my car. They had it the whole time and were looking to sell it back to me. Not a fun time.

·
Registered
23 Posts
In 2017, I saw a listing for a low mileage certified 2015 pilot at Napleton oak lawn honda in Chicago area. Called the dealer to make appointment to see it. Drove 90 minutes with my checkbook and title to my old honda, ready to take the 15 home. They lied.

When I arrived, took them 30 minutes to find it. It had a cracked back bumper, stains on interior, who knows what else wrong. It looked like it was abused. How did that get certified?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please tell me you walked and didn't give them your business.
From what I've been told by a friend who used to run an NTB, usually they will charge you the diagnostic fee unless you get the work done. My business does repairs (other things) and that's our practice as well.

My one experience with that Rohrman Honda was about 2 years ago when I was looking to buy a particular used Pilot they said they had. They confirmed they had the Pilot online and would have it ready for a test drive...drove up there. They can't find it (they didn't bother to call and let me know beforehand)...did I want to look at another. The bait and switch was so obvious. Then when I was gonna walk, they found the pilot, but it was under contract. Then it actually wasn't sold, it must be out for a test drive with someone else. Then no...it was at a sister dealer down the street. Then they were gonna get it and bring it over. Then they said it wouldn't start and needed a bunch of work. I pointed out that they said it was on a test drive earlier and their website description said something like it was "super clean and ready for a cross country adventure!". Guy just shrugged and said he didn't write the descriptions.

It seems all of these dealers are slimy. I just purchased a 19 Pilot from McGrath Honda and their story on everything changed several times. I went in with a bank prequal. They said the pre-qual numbers THEY got were different than what I was given...but they could give me something "close to that" from a different bank. It was too late in the day to get through to my bank to confirm (though the next day my bank basically said that my numbers were correct and the dealer submitted a different app to them with different numbers). Then the guy said he would charge me no extra fees because he makes his money on volume...Get to the finance guy. There were loads of dealer fees. "Oh we're sorry for the misunderstanding". Talked them down on the fees. Then after literally 2 hours of negotiating and threatening to walk, they hand me one key. They said the car only came with one key and the previous owner only had one key. I declined the gap insurance so I would have to buy another key for a couple hundred or or something like that. Then I flipped. 2 minutes later they come back with the second key with the matching tag to my car. They had it the whole time and were looking to sell it back to me. Not a fun time.
My favorite experience with the finance guy at Community in Orland Park was when I walked in with a prequal from my credit union. When they tried to match the rate, Honda, by way of MB bank, came in .1% higher or something close. I asked them to match it, exactly, and the finance guy said, "No, but it's not a big deal. It's only a difference of like $7 a month." I said, "I absolutely agree. That's why it should be easy for you to come down and match my credit union rate." The argumentative whiplash it gave him when he thought I was agreeing with him was such a small pleasure for me. He went from happy (when he thought I was agreeing with him) to confused to passive aggresively pissed in like 3 seconds. Then he matched my credit union rate. Not trying to sound like I'm some negotiating genius---I'm the opposite actually. But when it's like arguing with a child and using their own dummy logic against them, it's particularly pleasureable. :)

Also I did ask the salesman (who was completely unfamiliar with the car, btw), to knock some money since I really wanted a car with a tow hitch, and this didn't have it. I think he came down $200, and he didn't realize all 15s have a hitch that's factory installed under that bumper panel (to be fair to him, I didn't know that either...I was just seeing what I could get away with). A week after I bought the car, I wondered "Why's this extra keychain thing on here?" Normaly I pay attention to details, but I was busy and forgot about the extra remote. Pressed it. Car started remotely. Again, tiny victories.....

·
Registered
103 Posts
Please tell me you walked and didn't give them your business.
This was AFTER I had signed they told me they had only one key. I had to make a small scene for them to "find" the second key.

Fortunately I was really cautious and stubborn durring the process and in the end they just wanted me out of there. I was able to get about all of the dealer fees...not taxes...fees ($3k...obscene amount) removed and IMO the car was under-priced because it had several extra options like the tow package installed that wasn't listed. It was like a diet AWD Elite with a tow package with 36k miles for $30k

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well here's an update. Took about a week to get a hold of the McGrath GM. He was apologetic and gave the impression that he wanted to make things right. He assured me that them only having one key was a "misunderstanding". I didn't really believe him, but that was his explanation. Regarding the finance guy lying about my prequal loan, he seemed to know exactly what the deal was without me going into detail and even made a side comment about how he's told his employees not to "play games and just give the customer what they qualify for". He followed up the next day and was going to issue a check for the difference which was about $450. At the time I was pleased with his quick response and professional attitude. He said he wanted this car not to be my last purchase from them but my first.
However it's been a month and nothing has been done since that conversation...we have not received the reimbursement. I have sent emails to which he first said he would "look into it". However now it appears I'm just being ignored.

·
Registered
303 Posts
However it's been a month and nothing has been done since that conversation...we have not received the reimbursement. I have sent emails to which he first said he would "look into it". However now it appears I'm just being ignored.
You've wasted enough time on this -- just vote with your wallet and never go back there again, especially for service.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
You've wasted enough time on this -- just vote with your wallet and never go back there again, especially for service.
But not before you get your damn money back. One of the things that makes me turn even more stubborn than I already am is a smarmy talker who doesn't keep his word.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts