Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Disabling the VCM Cures/Prevents P0420, P0430 Codes

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  Nail Grease 
#1 · (Edited)
After having installed S-VCM on my 2012 Honda Crosstour V6 with around 210k miles, now at 242k.., For the first time in the last 50k, when the vehicle came in for an oil change, the P0420 and P0430 codes did not re-occur. I am convinced that it is because it runs on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. I had also switch to 5w30 Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil for its low evaporation qualities.
Thoughts?

Reactions: ys1219
#4 ·
Yes, that was a factor too, but more so after talking to @Steffo that 0w20 really isn't neccesary where I live in the Texas heat. That was the vehicles 1st 5w30 interval. It's on 5w30 Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil now.
Honda service adviser recommended to stick with 5W20 on my '04 several years ago due to reported issues with other grades. 5W20 was on the cap and OCI were 5-6K with synthetics.

#6 ·
I think the oil consumption issues that arise from the VCM cause the catalytic converters to get gunked up. The thing I don't get is not everyone has these issues. Why is it so random? Then some people get the cylinder misfire codes and some never do. I get misfire codes a couple times a year. No rough running or anything. Clear the codes and they don't come back. Makes no sense to me but oh well.

#9 · (Edited)
When I see wet oily spark plugs, I'm convinced that's because of VCM. A fouled plug can cause misfires. Throw in a little stuffy air filter or dirty MAF and some untreated cheap fuel and motor oils that are more prone to evaporation, Even more so. And this is all tangent on keeping your oil clean for trouble free VVT function. Which will undoubtedly need to be addressed around 200k. I love the engine once you get on top of it all. 😁

Reactions: aggrex
#11 ·
I had some Havoline 5W-30 Dino in my CRV that calls for 5W-20. Oil had about 4-5k miles on it. Car went in to limp mode and wouldn't go over 2800 rpm. Check engine came on with codes for VTEC. Searches said change oil and filter with correct viscosity before doing anything else. Pennzoil 5w-20 and new Honda filter since i have some. Cleared code, running fine for almost 1k now.

Reactions: plplplpl
#12 ·
Man, what a picky CEL. But it's for you own good, like cod liver oil.

By the way, don't put that in your engine, only your mouth. Some people seem to think oil is oil.

#14 ·
253k with a 2-3 shift flare. Doing some Max Life flushes hoping to keep going. Needs Catalytic Converter now. Inspection due in 2 weeks. If I can't get the $100 one bolted on it might be time. CEL is on. Spark plug non-fouler made it pass last 2 years. That is rusted off now and stuck in cat. Tried all the spray's, heat, cool, ezout, not budging to try new 02. NY blows as it is CARB version so cheapest aftermarket is $400 plus. Nobody will touch it do to major fines. They'll gladly install the CARB version.

#15 ·
The reason I'm asking is while a heavier viscosity oil might have been the trigger of your limp mode, it's likely a sign of your VVT solenoid with screen is clogged. Have you ever replaced it?

Reactions: Steffo
#17 ·
Nail Grease- In the past 3 years it's had new VTEC solenoid as it was leaking but screens were clean when I did it, new passengers side main crank seal, oil stays "hard to see on dipstick clean" for at least 1000 miles before starting to change color, never did the front screen as didn't know about it until the limp home. Really no sludge issues that I can see through cap or anywhere.

Jack Vogt- If it was registered in any state besides NY or CA I could get the cheap aftermarket done no issue for about $200 Best price at 4-5 shops by me was $700 because of CARB.

Car has been a labor of love for my kids. Given to my son first from my father-in-law. At least he was religious on oil changes. I've done A/C Condenser (Rock), compressor, metal in system killed compressor, did the WHOLE A/C system, starter, alternator, power steering, all fluids a couple times, stereo, speakers, sub, brakes, tires, motor mounts.

My daughter said when we get rid of it she would like the same thing. Comfortable for 4-5, perfect size for her.

Reactions: Nail Grease
#18 ·
Just wanted to report an experience on my 245k mile V6 Crosstour, concerning the use of S-VCM or any other device that prevents the VCM operation by defaulting engine temp (S-VCM 165.2°F). This is a vehicle I don't drive daily. A problem was reported that the AC would not cool when idle, but would cool going down the highway. We have no check engine light. The compressor was engaging for short moments only and going off. Checking freon level while the vehicle was idling (it was adaquate), I noticed the passenger side cooling fan was not coming on. Due to heat, the compressor was not working properly. The default 165.2°F caused by the S-VCM made the situation difficult to diagnose. So just as a reminder to all who are using these devices..., make sure your cooling fans are both operational after your engine is warmed up.
Fan was replaced and all is well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.