Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for a while now I've been having problems with the little green key flashing light on my dashboard which apparently means some issue with the key fob chip codes not communicating with the computer in order to get the vehicle turned on. My battery works just fine as I initially thought the car wasn't turning on due to a faulty battery but all of the equipment including the GPS turns on when I turn the keys but it won't start and the green key light keeps on flashing.

So I called a locksmith who came and made two brand new fob keys with their respective chips and proceeded to program both keys as usual and after 1 hour he gave up and simply told me that there's something wrong with the Pilot's computer and that I should take it to the dealership to get it diagnosed. Any ideas?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,845 Posts
You could check the wiring at the ignition key cylinder and at the computer module (I’m not sure where the computer module is located) for any loose connections/corrosion/etc.

What happens if you hold your original fob as close as possible to the ignition cylinder while trying to start it with one of the unprogrammed keys?

Reactions: pilotalbert87

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could check the wiring at the ignition key cylinder and at the computer module (I’m not sure where the computer module is located) for any loose connections/corrosion/etc.

What happens if you hold your original fob as close as possible to the ignition cylinder while trying to start it with one of the unprogrammed keys?
All the lights come on but no sound whatsoever of an attempted engine start. It's completely dead. Checked the battery and it's totally fine. Like I said usually if the battery is the one to fail the first thing to go would be the GPS which would need to be unlocked but every single light works but the immobilizer system is kicked in. The green light is on but then it goes away.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You only have (had) 1 vehicle (ignition) key ?
I have two but none work. The locksmith that came made two new keys and programmed them and even showed me that it was coming up in his tablet software for the programming as having successfully programmed but just like the other two they don't work. So I now have 4 keys that can lock/unlock and basically if you turn them everything turns on but not the engine.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,299 Posts
Sure it's not the starter?

2007 pilot starter problem solved

Why not Hail Mary it with a good hammer or lug wrench to give the failed starter good resuscitation whacks with?

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sure it's not the starter?
Well I'll be damned! Gotta check that sucker in the morning. There's absolutely no sound coming from anywhere but yet the car seems to be 100% working except the part that it doesn't turn on LOL!

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
If it's not the starter solenoid, maybe it's the neutral safety switch AKA the transmission range switch.

Honda Pilot won’t start wife abandoned!

If you're absolutely sure all none of your cables are loose or corroded. Double-check them all.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts
When my starter died way out of town last summer, it just up and died with no warning, whining or anything. Got it changed after an unplanned conjugal hotel overnighter to make the best of the circumstances
, and then I was good to go.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If it's not the starter solenoid, maybe it's the neutral safety switch AKA the transmission range switch.

Honda Pilot won’t start wife abandoned!

If you're absolutely sure all none of your cables are loose or corroded. Double-check them all.
Just tried that post's workaround of going through the gears and then back up to park and nothing happens. I'll just have to check the start in the AM and see if that's the culprit.

·
Registered
9,299 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Pilot SE
334 Posts
Mine was the NSS. If you have a meter, you can check for 12 volts when trying to start. Or, take a wire and jump from the hot wire on the starter to the S wire of the starter to see if it spins over.

·
Registered
44 Posts
OK - Here's a personal story from many years ago. Back in my early years of driving I drove beater cars and driveway repairs were a way of life. One morning I climbed in my car that worked fine the day before and turned the key and nothing happened. All dash lights, headlights, etc. worked fine, but the starter did nothing. I did my usual grumbling and started the process of taking the starter off with the intent of replacing it. Dad walked up and asked if I had cleaned the battery terminals. Why? says I... the interior lights and everything still work. I proceeded to take the starter off, but before I went to get another one I took a pair of jumper cables and used them to connect the battery to the starter and the starter took off just like always. I put it back in and cleaned the battery terminals. Problem solved.

Dad was right about a lot of other stuff too...

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,298 Posts
OK - Here's a personal story from many years ago. Back in my early years of driving I drove beater cars and driveway repairs were a way of life. One morning I climbed in my car that worked fine the day before and turned the key and nothing happened. All dash lights, headlights, etc. worked fine, but the starter did nothing. I did my usual grumbling and started the process of taking the starter off with the intent of replacing it. Dad walked up and asked if I had cleaned the battery terminals. Why? says I... the interior lights and everything still work. I proceeded to take the starter off, but before I went to get another one I took a pair of jumper cables and used them to connect the battery to the starter and the starter took off just like always. I put it back in and cleaned the battery terminals. Problem solved.

Dad was right about a lot of other stuff too...
Isn't amazing at how stupid Dad's are when you are in your teens and how much smarter they get when you are in your early 20's.

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright so I had the battery tested and it's working 100% so it's not the battery. Everything points at the issue being the starter. How can I test the starter to see if it's working or not? Now the other question is if it's not the starter how can I test the alternator if my car won't turn on?

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
If your battery wasn’t connected to an external charger, yet it’s still fully charged, then you can likely rule out the alternator being bad since if it wasn’t working your battery would be drained down.
For the starter there are two electrical connections. You can try momentarily shorting out the two connections to see if the starter spins. If you’re not comfortable doing this then you can remove the starter from the engine block and perform a similar test on the workbench. Check YouTube videos.
If I recall correctly, even with an immobilizer issue the engine should crank via the starter; the spark plugs will not fire. So if your engine is not cranking when you turn the key you may be experiencing two separate issues (starter and immobilizer).

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX-L
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If your battery wasn’t connected to an external charger, yet it’s still fully charged, then you can likely rule out the alternator being bad since if it wasn’t working your battery would be drained down.
For the starter there are two electrical connections. You can try momentarily shorting out the two connections to see if the starter spins. If you’re not comfortable doing this then you can remove the starter from the engine block and perform a similar test on the workbench. Check YouTube videos.
If I recall correctly, even with an immobilizer issue the engine should crank via the starter; the spark plugs will not fire. So if your engine is not cranking when you turn the key you may be experiencing two separate issues (starter and immobilizer).
Engine doesn't do anything at all! My gut instinct tells me that the starter went. I've confirmed that is not an immobilizer issue at all. The green key light blinks after I turned the key the first time and after about 5 seconds it goes away. If it didn't it means that the immobilizer it's kicked in.

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
Okay, that’s different from your original statement where you said the green key icon keeps on flashing. The green icon flashing during an attempted start, then turning off after a few seconds is normal behavior.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts