Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I picked up my '04 Silver Pilot with Nav 2 days ago. Although this is my first post here I've been browsing the boards for 2 weeks. I'm impressed with the traffic this board gets. There's so much information here and I've already learned a great deal.

I'm coming off a 3 year lease of a Lexus ES300. The Pilot is less of a step down than I was expecting! I'll miss the auto dimming mirrors, the seat memory and the outstanding service I received at my local Lexus dealer (free loaners, etc) but overall the Pilot seems to be a great value.

On to my question ..... I'd like to disable the set belt warning chime if possible. Without going into the merits of wearing the belt I'd prefer the vehicle not remind me about it OVER and OVER with a flashing dash light and audible chime. Does anyone know if there's a single fuse which controls the audible chime and/or dash light?

Thanks,

-Dan
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
dmarkel said:
Hi everyone,

I picked up my '04 Silver Pilot with Nav 2 days ago. Although this is my first post here I've been browsing the boards for 2 weeks. I'm impressed with the traffic this board gets. There's so much information here and I've already learned a great deal.

I'm coming off a 3 year lease of a Lexus ES300. The Pilot is less of a step down than I was expecting! I'll miss the auto dimming mirrors, the seat memory and the outstanding service I received at my local Lexus dealer (free loaners, etc) but overall the Pilot seems to be a great value.

On to my question ..... I'd like to disable the set belt warning chime if possible. Without going into the merits of wearing the belt I'd prefer the vehicle not remind me about it OVER and OVER with a flashing dash light and audible chime. Does anyone know if there's a single fuse which controls the audible chime and/or dash light?

Thanks,

-Dan
I know you did not want to hear it, but wear the seat belt.
Your loved ones will that you! :)

As for removing the chime, I would never recommend that someone diable it by looking at the "Drivers Multiplex Unit" and finding the speaker or chime to cover or disconnect.

Sorry it is not a plug in unit like some cars.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As for removing the chime, I would never recommend that someone diable it by looking at the "Drivers Multiplex Unit" and finding the speaker or chime to cover or disconnect.
Excellent! Thanks for that info, N_Jay!!

I also should thank "ffdk" for his snide comment. His remarks reminded me that I need to explore the filtering capabilities of this message board. I only hope I have the ability to not display comments from specific users.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
dmarkel said:


I also should thank "ffdk" for his snide comment. His remarks reminded me that I need to explore the filtering capabilities of this message board. I only hope I have the ability to not display comments from specific users.

humm....you can filter users on this board ...but if you start filtering users for snide commnets you will also lose N_jay's vast knowledge :2: :2: :2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
ramirami said:
humm....you can filter users on this board ...but if you start filtering users for snide commnets you will also lose N_jay's vast knowledge :2: :2: :2: :2:
By the way. My persoanla opinion is - There is simply no excuse for not wearing a seat belt. Don't believe me, I can give you plenty of references.

Hope you don't have kids, as they learn from example. You don't wear it, and there is a good chance they won't.

It is hard to explain to my son why his uncle who he is named after is not here!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
N_Jay said:
By the way. My persoanla opinion is - There is simply no excuse for not wearing a seat belt. Don't believe me, I can give you plenty of references.

[ S N I P P E D ]
Ditto that, N_Jay!!! Even my 2.5 year old boy tells me, "Daddy, tie belt!" when all I'm doing is backing the Pilot up to the end of the driveway so I can place a letter in the mailbox before driving off to our destination...

...so I'm glad he knows that it's important to wear a seatbelt, even at his young age!!! :4: :17:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
507 Posts
When I was about 5 years old, my parents had a VW Station Wagon. My father disbled the seatbelt buzzer by actually cutting the buckels out of the belts and putting them into the clips.

One winter, when I was about 7, in that same VW Wagon, we got into an accident in the Catskills after the car ahead of us hit a deer and spun out of control. We hit that car. Luckly, all of us walked away with nothing but a few minor cuts and bruises even though both my parents heads hit the windshield!

The VW was totaled so my parents went out and bought an Accord hatchback soon after the accident.

They have been wearing their seatbels ever since!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
ramirami said:
humm....you can filter users on this board ...but if you start filtering users for snide commnets you will also lose N_jay's vast knowledge :2: :2: :2: :2:
Hey, I didn't know we could filter out snide comments! :D Here's another one: people who don't wear seatbelts are just trying to prove that Darwin was right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
ramirami said:
humm....you can filter users on this board ...but if you start filtering users for snide commnets you will also lose N_jay's vast knowledge :2: :2: :2: :2:
Hey I don't make snide comments, I'm just Mizzundastood!:2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Yeah, with a couple of exceptions (short people, where the belt rubs the neck, and women, where the belt rubs the, well, fluffy pillows) I've never understood why people don't wear them. I've worn them from day one (well, IIRC) and I don't notice them. I actually notice them when I'm not wearing them. It's like an itch you can't scratch.

FYI, I am also one of those people saved (or at least saved from serious injury) by a seatbelt. I was a passengar in a sports car during an accident (t-bone; I was in the base of the T) that could have snapped my neck from hitting the very-sloped windshield.

But, to each their own. I feel the same way about motorcycles & helmets. I would always where one, but I don't think anyone should be forced to (i.e., no helmet laws except, perhaps, to protect the innocent).

That being said, I feel that if you don't buckle-up (or wear a helmet) don't expect to be compensated for preventable injuries.

kad

ps - serious thread drift - mods, feel free to delete or ask me to do so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
dmarkel said:
I also should thank "ffdk" for his snide comment. His remarks reminded me that I need to explore the filtering capabilities of this message board. I only hope I have the ability to not display comments from specific users.
Um, how about thinking of it as an expression of concern for your safety. No one wants to hear "had he been wearing his seatbelt, he might have walked away...." :)

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
kadiir said:
[ S N I P P E D ]
ps - serious thread drift - mods, feel free to delete or ask me to do so.
kadiir: No need to delete your post -- you made some very valid points and provided an example (yourself) of why it's good to buckle up...

...but like others have said, YMMV!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,113 Posts
I am not a lawyer, and have no legal training, but do live in the Washington, D.C. metro area, and stayed in a Holiday Inn Express once. :D

I'd be concerned about the potential litigation from the estate or family of the dear departed when it surfaces that any vehicular safety device was disabled as a result of information someone posts on this forum.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
kemosabe said:
kadiir: No need to delete your post -- you made some very valid points and provided an example (yourself) of why it's good to buckle up...

...but like others have said, YMMV!!!
I am a big "Personal Freedom" believer, but I think seatbelts fall outside the "It's up to you if you want to be stupid" area.

You can not control your car as well in an emergency situation witthout wearing your seatbelt. If you looose control, how many other people wil be affected? People in your car and people outside your car.

A motor cycle helmet is different. I just wish we did not have to pay for the brain injured results, but losing control of a car because you are not in your seat is a different story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
N_Jay said:
I am a big "Personal Freedom" believer, but I think seatbelts fall outside the "It's up to you if you want to be stupid" area.


Cool - I'm not the only one who thinks that! :D

You can not control your car as well in an emergency situation witthout wearing your seatbelt. If you looose control, how many other people wil be affected? People in your car and people outside your car.


I was going to mention that but got caught up in my story and forgot. Thank you for bringing that up.

A motor cycle helmet is different. I just wish we did not have to pay for the brain injured results, but losing control of a car because you are not in your seat is a different story.
While I agree with you (obviously), your first point can be used to justify helmets, too - what about a bug in the eye or a decent sized rock hitting you? Of course, if it's too big it'll knock you off the bike even with a helmet, but you get my point.

Just playing devil's advocate for a moment.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
N_Jay said:
I am a big "Personal Freedom" believer, but I think seatbelts fall outside the "It's up to you if you want to be stupid" area.
:soapbox:
<rant> On one hand, you could take that approach and "stretch" it to impose your will or lifestyle on anyone. A drunk driver presents a clear and present danger to everyone; a driver without a seatbelt does not. I worry when we try to force people to be "good parents", "good citizens", "good Christians", etc. - whatever any of those things are and whomever gets to decide. If we all monolithically did things only for the "common good", this would be Planet Vulcan. Or, we would be bees, sacrificing ourselves for the hive.</rant>

On the other hand, there is every reason to wear seatbelts, and no reason not to wear them. I've heard enough anecdotal stories about someone ejected from a vehicle and walking away without a scratch while the car continued on to be FUBAR. You can rationalize anything, if you want.

I've never seen a professional driver who didn't wear a seatbelt.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
tracy said:
Hey, I didn't know we could filter out snide comments! :D Here's another one: people who don't wear seatbelts are just trying to prove that Darwin was right.
And then there are the idiots who can't or don't try to properly restrain their children in the car.

Every time I look in my rear view mirror and see a 4 year old crawling around between the bucket seats of the car behind me I think of this:
An unrestrained child in a car traveling at 30 mph that crashes into a stationary object hits the dashboard with the same force as a watermelon dropped from the roof of a three-story house
Most people can get up to 30mph in a parking lot.

Your head at 30 mph.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
tim.s said:
And then there are the idiots who can't or don't try to properly restrain their children in the car.
Yeah, even though I don't have kids, that one bugs me, too.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
tim.s said:
And then there are the idiots who can't or don't try to properly restrain their children in the car.
Ugh! Don't even get me started on that one! :3:
 
1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Top