Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Disable ANC on 2012-2013 Pilot - 1 of 2

69K views 62 replies 31 participants last post by  PilotRebel 
#1 · (Edited)
I you plan to install an aftermarket amp or sub to your audio system, you will quickly learn that it doesn't play with the Pilots ANC (Active Noise Cancellation). The good news is that it is possible to disable the ANC by disconnecting the front and rear ANC mics. I've provided detailed instructions with photos for you. Just view the photos in order. First we will cover the Rear mic then the front in the next post. If you have question, just respond to the post as I will monitor it.

-Joe

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Disable ANC on 2012-2013 Pilot - 2 of 2

Okay, now that you've finished disabling the rear mic, let's move on to the front. Again, replay if you have any questions as I will monitor the thread.

-Joe

Attachments

#36 ·
Okay, now that you've finished disabling the rear mic, let's move on to the front. Again, replay if you have any questions as I will monitor the thread.

-Joe

Your photos show NAVI Pilots.. non-Navi units don't have this black box. What is the procedure for non-Navi units at the front? I read that the Bluetooth and ANC are combined into the same harness coupler... Am I missing something? Any help would be appreciated!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#4 · (Edited)
Disconnecting the ANC unit (active noise cancellation)

Found this post here on this forum by during a search

ANC problems (active noise cancellation)
Radio noise problem.

How to disable or disconnect the ANC unit? just unplug it.
Behind the radio head unit is the ANC unit bolted to a plastic bracket.

Make sure you unplug the wires at the ANC unit. NOT from the radio head unit. If you unplug the wires from the radio head unit the subwoofer will stop working as well as the ANC. 2 of the wires feed the SUB and its mini amp.

Left click on attach.picture to enlarge it, to help view the image (ANC unit #23)

Attachments

Reactions: LTC505
#5 ·
Is this for a 2012 Pilot?

Found this post here on this forum by during a search

ANC problems (active noise cancellation)
Radio noise problem.

How to disable or disconnect the ANC unit? just unplug it.
Behind the radio head unit is the ANC unit bolted to a plastic bracket.

Make sure you unplug the wires at the ANC unit. NOT from the radio head unit. If you unplug the wires from the radio head unit the subwoofer will stop working as well as the ANC. 2 of the wires feed the SUB and its mini amp.

Left click on attach.picture to enlarge it, to help view the image (ANC unit #23)

#6 ·
Nice write-up Joe and even better pictures! I drink to much coffee to hold a camera that still.

I have to ask........ have you decided to ditch the ANC??????

#7 ·
I hear you. That's where image stabilization comes in. :)

I think if that rear mic had given me any more trouble, you would have seen a video of me smashing it with a sledge hammer! Honda so nicely put a 1" high barrier of foam around the opening. Probably for noise isolation but I swear it was just to piss me off... ;-)

To answer your second question, I think so. The real test will be when I go for a long ride with my wife. When I'm in the car alone, the music is usually loud enough that ANC really doesn't have much value. If she complains and if evarsallona's diagram is correct for the 2012 pilot, I may put a switch in to turn it on/off. It should be pretty easy if it is a separate box. When I have the HU out again, I'll poke around...

Nice write-up Joe and even better pictures! I drink to much coffee to hold a camera that still.

I have to ask........ have you decided to ditch the ANC??????

#11 ·
I hear you. That's where image stabilization comes in. :)

I think if that rear mic had given me any more trouble, you would have seen a video of me smashing it with a sledge hammer! Honda so nicely put a 1" high barrier of foam around the opening. Probably for noise isolation but I swear it was just to piss me off... ;-)

Joe, if it's any consolation, I was able to get a right-angle screwdriver from Harbor Freight for like $4.00. It was still a pain to use but I imagine it was a whole lot easier than what you went through. It took me about 10 minutes to get both screws off and another 10 to put it back.

#8 ·
Toolman..... don't you know that you never let the wife see you working on the car especially when toys are involved. If she did not see you working on the Honda she would not know anything was different. I know this first hand; my divorce attorney explained it all to me after my 4th divorce. :29:
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" DefUnhideWhenUsed="true" DefSemiHidden="true" DefQFormat="false" DefPriority="99" LatentStyleCount="267"> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="0" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Normal"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="heading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="9" QFormat="true" Name="heading 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 7"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 8"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" Name="toc 9"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="35" QFormat="true" Name="caption"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="10" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" Name="Default Paragraph Font"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="11" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtitle"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="22" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Strong"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="20" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="59" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Table Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Placeholder Text"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="1" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="No Spacing"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Revision"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="34" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="List Paragraph"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="29" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="30" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Quote"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 1"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 2"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 3"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 4"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 5"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="60" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="61" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="62" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Light Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="63" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="64" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Shading 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="65" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="66" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium List 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="67" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 1 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="68" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 2 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="69" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Medium Grid 3 Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="70" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Dark List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="71" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Shading Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="72" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful List Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="73" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" Name="Colorful Grid Accent 6"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="19" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="21" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Emphasis"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="31" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Subtle Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="32" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Intense Reference"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="33" SemiHidden="false" UnhideWhenUsed="false" QFormat="true" Name="Book Title"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="37" Name="Bibliography"/> <w:LsdException Locked="false" Priority="39" QFormat="true" Name="TOC Heading"/> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;} </style> <![endif]-->

#9 ·
You make a good point but it is hard to avoid when you have body panels spewed all about the garage! She said, "What the hell did you do? It was a new car!" Then I cranked the sub up and she shook her head and left... ;-)

One thing that helps though is separate bank accounts! ;-) Learned that after wife #1.

#13 ·
Are there any other negative affects of disabling the ANC? Does these Mics have anything to do with handfree bluetooth. This is the first vehicle we have had that has ANC and bluetooth. My wife loves the bluetooth with her Iphone and doesn't want to hinder her ability to use it.
Thank You

#14 ·
As long as you follow my instructions and do it as I described in the photos by taking apart the mic module and disconnecting the red wire, the Bluetooth with work fine and there are no other negative effects other than increased noise when the VCM kicks in and the engine is running on 3 or 4 cylinders. It doesn't take long to do. The front may take you 20 minutes at most if you are really careful. I could do it in 5 now. Just be sure you put the mic module back the way it was. See photo. If you flip it over, the mic will be pointing toward the passenger side and won't pickup well. The back mic was a pain but that has nothing to do with Bluetooth. You could complete the back in 5 min. if you cut the wire but I wanted to separate the connector so I could reconnect it when I sell the car.

Are there any other negative affects of disabling the ANC? Does these Mics have anything to do with handfree bluetooth. This is the first vehicle we have had that has ANC and bluetooth. My wife loves the bluetooth with her Iphone and doesn't want to hinder her ability to use it.
Thank You

#17 · (Edited)
I will make it more simple for whoever wants to use this method. I have a 2012 EX-L and to me it drives crappy without the ANC. So i disable the ANC on my radio. 1st - make sure your radio is off. 2nd - simultaneously press the numbers 1 & 6 ( while pressing them) press the Volume. At the top of the screen DIAG will appear. 3rd - press number 1. ANC ON should appear at the top of the screen. 4th - by pressing 1 you can turn the ANC off. There will be a continuous hum in the rear speaker for about 3 mins (at least thats the time it takes for the hum to stop in my Pilot). 5th - Once the hum stops press your Volume which will turn your radio off. Now you are set. The only down side to this method is every time you turn off your vehicle it will automatically return your radio to the original setting. Also if you want to re-engage the ANC after you turned it off, you can turn it on with the same process while your driving.

#19 ·
ToolmanJoe...I have a 2013 EX 4WD and there are no ANC mics in either of the locations indicated by your pictures. I just did the LED interior light install and looked all over for the ANC mic and for the 2013 Pilots I believe the ANC mics are integrated into the Overhead map light housing...right next to the homelink buttons.

Here are the photos.
No ANC Mic above 2nd Row

Possible ANC Mics next to the Homelink buttons:

#20 ·
vcm cancelation

Hey Toolmanjoe,
Your post on getting rid of the ANC was great. My question is - if the primary reason Honda installs the ANC is to negate the VCM is there away to turn off the VCM?
I, like many other Pilot owners, do not like those cylinders being deactivated.
I would do ANYthing to always run on all six cylinders.
And I know forum readers say that the ANC does not interfer with the sound of the stock radio unit, but my 2012 touring sound system is weak.
I hope you are still following this post and will reply
Thakns

#21 ·
There is no way to disable the VCM, if there was I would have done it the first day I picked up my Pilot. :eek:

Hey Toolmanjoe,
Your post on getting rid of the ANC was great. My question is - if the primary reason Honda installs the ANC is to negate the VCM is there away to turn off the VCM?
I, like many other Pilot owners, do not like those cylinders being deactivated.
I would do ANYthing to always run on all six cylinders.
And I know forum readers say that the ANC does not interfer with the sound of the stock radio unit, but my 2012 touring sound system is weak.
I hope you are still following this post and will reply
Thakns

#22 ·
After disconnecting the ANC connector the hands free phone does not work anymore. My wife is alittle upset so I am going to have to reconnect it. One of the Connectors says ANC the other says wireless. We disconnected the ANC and when I call here from the house and she is driving she can hear me but I can't hear her talking. Once I get my Adjustable Line converter I will post pictures.
Jim

#23 ·
Armystrong, two ideas:
1- To your wife just say "oops sorry dear". :eek:
2- Hook up the 1st set of wires and then disconect the other set. See if that may work.

After disconnecting the ANC connector the hands free phone does not work anymore. My wife is alittle upset so I am going to have to reconnect it. One of the Connectors says ANC the other says wireless. We disconnected the ANC and when I call here from the house and she is driving she can hear me but I can't hear her talking. Once I get my Adjustable Line converter I will post pictures.
Jim

#24 ·
DMG
I can not believe the VCM has to be locked in. Why would Honda go thru all the extra gizzmo's (ANC) to lessen the annoyance of the cylinders shutting down for a fraction of a gallon of fuel?
But to all who disagree- I firmly believe that by running a "noise cancelation" thru the SAME speakers that must produce very good sound quality is an oxymoron. The Touring says 600 watts. Thats a joke. How can a speaker that supposed to muffle a sound, produce great music? Honda should have used a separate speaker to run the ANC. The sound system in my 2004 pilot was fantastic. I could never have turned the volume up past 3/4 way up! On this 2012 its up all the way a lot of the time (and I'm an old guy)! The clarity and loudness is being muffled by the ANC. And the ANC is only there to help MUTE the VCM which none of us want! Bunch of crap.

#25 · (Edited)
J.S. I agree with you, I do not like dropping cylinders just to add to themileage. The pilot it is not that noticeable as my 2011 Dodge Ram. When the Ram drops to eco mode you would swear that you must need a tune-up.

I don't even like the auto door locks when you shift out of park, I wish I could disable that and the VCM.... then life would be great.

When it comes to the stock radio (non-Nav) in my Pilot that was a total joke.... no volume, no imaging and certainly no punch! It was like a 9 volt transistor radio form the 60's. That is why I ripped out all of the stock system and replaced it with Kenwood, JL Audio and Morel drives.<O:p></O:p>

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/19-audio-electronics/32406-2012-exl-stereo-build.html

#26 ·
DMG,
What a beautiful/professional installation job.
If i didn't have a bunch of tools, etc under the hatch I would consider cutting in a sub woofer too.
And if tool man Joe is listening, you stated in your 11-13 post how you should have gone with the Touring to get the better system. Well that is the ONLY reason I went with the touring. Now I'm having a hard time with an upgrade since I already thought I paid for one from the factory!

#28 ·
You are my hero! That noise was driving me insane! I would have to drive with my door open to get rid of it! Thank you sooo much for posting this. In case anyone cares it was a 2011 pilot and you just unclip the black box mounted in the light assembly (not the one behind the garage door opener) for the front (it doesn't look like the one in the picture but it does have a QR code on it and the back one you can unhook without taking anything out or cutting wires if you use a pocket knife to unclip it.

#31 ·
Thanks for your excellent post ToolmanJoe - well presented too. I worked with your pics and instructions on my smart phone as my guide and it was easy. I saw videos of people pulling down their headliner and damaging it ... your approach is much smarter.

I would add a couple of comments perhaps specific to my 2011 EX-L. On the rear mic, reaching the screws with a tool was hopeless and my fingers alone could not decipher the plastic clips to pull them apart. I bent the wire end toward the light opening where my hands were until there was a little snap and the green housing came into view along with the two wires coming out of it. I doubt I broke the wire connection, just the plastic housing of the harness. I then saw a small tab which I could press with a small screwdriver, and a viola the back of the easily harness popped off. One down.

In front, I did not have the box in your pictures. I had two side by side small black housings, one the mic, one the homelink gear. Since I don't have wireless, I simply unhooked the harness on the mic - second mic down. My wires were purpose and white, not red. I do not have wireless or blue tooth, so no worries about keeping any function in the mic. Quick and simple and reversible, and no more blasting ANC tones from my powered sub.

Like most posters, I do not hear any audible difference in the sound of the engine in eco mode, or additional road noise, with the ANC disabled. There is sound, like any engine, but I cannot confirm any actual change.

Thanks again -

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.