Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Dirtbike Hauling? Any Suggestions?

4K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  cintocrunch 
#1 ·
My husband is finally getting his wish, and buying a brand new Honda CRF250X this December. We also have the little XR50 for the boys. We have the pilot, but now not sure what we need to haul 2 bikes around. That kind of weight wouldn't warrant the cooler would it? Any suggestions on hitches and trailers? I know there must be more of you out there with dirtbikes...riding red hopefully! We are inexperienced with this subject, and don't want to hurt our precious Pilot :) THANK YOU FOR ADVICE YOU CAN THROW AT ME :bonk:

#2 ·
74PILOTMOM said:
My husband is finally getting his wish, and buying a brand new Honda CRF250X this December. We also have the little XR50 for the boys. We have the pilot, but now not sure what we need to haul 2 bikes around. That kind of weight wouldn't warrant the cooler would it? Any suggestions on hitches and trailers? I know there must be more of you out there with dirtbikes...riding red hopefully! We are inexperienced with this subject, and don't want to hurt our precious Pilot :) THANK YOU FOR ADVICE YOU CAN THROW AT ME :bonk:
Well, you just knew I would respond to this!!!!! Many people have dedicated motorcycle trailers (I used to), but now use just a standard flat-bed utility trailer with siderails that are approximately 15" high. I have wheel chocks/tie downs positioned as needed to haul either one or two bikes. I posted some pics under another thread of my rig with the new (to me) F650 loaded up on our trip to SC late last month.

Here is the thread: http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3437

As for hitch - several options: Honda, Hidden-Hitch or Draw-Tite. I went with Honda as it has a little better mounting system. IMHO you do not need the coolers for this type of hauling.

YMMV

#3 ·
Thanks Colorider!

AH Colorider, you are my rock! I was actually thinking you might see this first. I refer to you as "motorcycle man" when telling my husband about this place.
I'll show your photo to my husband. That's what I was thinking for us. My father has a big fancy Harley hauler that I think is a bit extreme for dirtbike, and too much $$$. That kind of trailer seems perfect.
Thanks for backing my notion that the cooler won't be necessary. I can see it with trailers and boats, not something that weighs as much as 5 adults.

#4 ·
Re: Thanks Colorider!

74PILOTMOM said:
. I can see it with trailers and boats, not something that weighs as much as 5 adults.
hey 74PILOTMOM..when you say 5 adults do you mean 5 of these ........

Attachments

#6 ·
Thanks!! The trailer also has a ramp/tailgate, but I removed it for my trip to reduce wind drag.

It has been a good trailer - done a lot of moving besides hauling bikes around. Depending on how many bikes you ever plan to haul, you may get by with a basic 4' x 8' like mine - or a wider one if need be. I have hauled a big ole R1150GS and a little XR100 at the same time (along with camping gear). With our present collection of bikes, we will typically haul the F650 and a NX250 (along with camping gear) - which will fit fine.

Let me know if you need some close-up pictures of the chocks and tie downs.

Good luck!

#7 ·
YIKES

If I keep sitting here at the computer i'll look like FAT B@$#ARD. Then I'll need the cooler just to haul my butt around.:eek:

#10 ·
Re: Re: Re: Thanks Colorider!

kemosabe said:

No, no, no!!! She meant these 5 adults...!!! :eek:
Okay 74PILOTMOM, I have to retract all the recommendations I made to you about trailer size. :eek:

There is NO WAY that my little 4 x 8 utility trailer is going to haul THOSE 5 adults!!!!!:jump3:

#14 ·
I have 2nd gen Pilot(2013). And Im in a same situation with dirtbikes - have my daughter's Honda XR70 + mine(not bought yet, but will be something like Honda XR250r or Yamaha WR250F or Suzuki DRZ400) Currently doing research on weights of bikes + weight of bike rack and all together.
I want not to use a trailer, just a bike rack on back, and found some options online. Any thoughts on this set-up?
Any positive/negative usage experience? Thanks!

Attachments

#15 ·
I don't know bike weights but I'm assuming you'll be at or over tongue weight limits. Look at getting rear helper springs follow severe service for your rear diff for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.