Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband is finally getting his wish, and buying a brand new Honda CRF250X this December. We also have the little XR50 for the boys. We have the pilot, but now not sure what we need to haul 2 bikes around. That kind of weight wouldn't warrant the cooler would it? Any suggestions on hitches and trailers? I know there must be more of you out there with dirtbikes...riding red hopefully! We are inexperienced with this subject, and don't want to hurt our precious Pilot :) THANK YOU FOR ADVICE YOU CAN THROW AT ME :bonk:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
74PILOTMOM said:
My husband is finally getting his wish, and buying a brand new Honda CRF250X this December. We also have the little XR50 for the boys. We have the pilot, but now not sure what we need to haul 2 bikes around. That kind of weight wouldn't warrant the cooler would it? Any suggestions on hitches and trailers? I know there must be more of you out there with dirtbikes...riding red hopefully! We are inexperienced with this subject, and don't want to hurt our precious Pilot :) THANK YOU FOR ADVICE YOU CAN THROW AT ME :bonk:
Well, you just knew I would respond to this!!!!! Many people have dedicated motorcycle trailers (I used to), but now use just a standard flat-bed utility trailer with siderails that are approximately 15" high. I have wheel chocks/tie downs positioned as needed to haul either one or two bikes. I posted some pics under another thread of my rig with the new (to me) F650 loaded up on our trip to SC late last month.

Here is the thread: http://honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3437

As for hitch - several options: Honda, Hidden-Hitch or Draw-Tite. I went with Honda as it has a little better mounting system. IMHO you do not need the coolers for this type of hauling.

YMMV

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Colorider!

AH Colorider, you are my rock! I was actually thinking you might see this first. I refer to you as "motorcycle man" when telling my husband about this place.
I'll show your photo to my husband. That's what I was thinking for us. My father has a big fancy Harley hauler that I think is a bit extreme for dirtbike, and too much $$$. That kind of trailer seems perfect.
Thanks for backing my notion that the cooler won't be necessary. I can see it with trailers and boats, not something that weighs as much as 5 adults.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Thanks Colorider!

74PILOTMOM said:
. I can see it with trailers and boats, not something that weighs as much as 5 adults.
hey 74PILOTMOM..when you say 5 adults do you mean 5 of these ........

Attachments

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
Re: Re: Thanks Colorider!

ramirami said:

or 5 of these :D :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Thanks!! The trailer also has a ramp/tailgate, but I removed it for my trip to reduce wind drag.

It has been a good trailer - done a lot of moving besides hauling bikes around. Depending on how many bikes you ever plan to haul, you may get by with a basic 4' x 8' like mine - or a wider one if need be. I have hauled a big ole R1150GS and a little XR100 at the same time (along with camping gear). With our present collection of bikes, we will typically haul the F650 and a NX250 (along with camping gear) - which will fit fine.

Let me know if you need some close-up pictures of the chocks and tie downs.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
YIKES

If I keep sitting here at the computer i'll look like FAT [email protected]$#ARD. Then I'll need the cooler just to haul my butt around.:eek:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Thanks Colorider!

ramirami said:

Hee Hee!! :D

I just knew this thread could not continue without you or Kemo coming to the rescue!!! :2:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Thanks Colorider!

kemosabe said:

No, no, no!!! She meant these 5 adults...!!! :eek:
Okay 74PILOTMOM, I have to retract all the recommendations I made to you about trailer size. :eek:

There is NO WAY that my little 4 x 8 utility trailer is going to haul THOSE 5 adults!!!!!:jump3:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have 2nd gen Pilot(2013). And Im in a same situation with dirtbikes - have my daughter's Honda XR70 + mine(not bought yet, but will be something like Honda XR250r or Yamaha WR250F or Suzuki DRZ400) Currently doing research on weights of bikes + weight of bike rack and all together.
I want not to use a trailer, just a bike rack on back, and found some options online. Any thoughts on this set-up?
Any positive/negative usage experience? Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I don't know bike weights but I'm assuming you'll be at or over tongue weight limits. Look at getting rear helper springs follow severe service for your rear diff for sure.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts