Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trying to check the oil on my 2006 Honda Pilot so I could decide whether or not to change it. Ive had it for about a month and just now noticed the dipstick tube for checking my oil seems to be plugged. Should I just go ahead and change the oil or try to unplug it? I can provide better photos tomorrow

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,849 Posts
The dipstick been known to break and get stuck in the tube and it can be very tricky or expensive to extract, so perhaps previous owner just sealed the entrance to its tomb in the hope of burying his crime.

Any way you can contact him and ask? I mean he's got to figure you were bound to notice it eventually.

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
382 Posts
My First priority would be to try to unplug the dipstick hole. It looks like the dipstick may have broken off flush with the hole, it was never fixed, and you inherited the problem. You could try a small dentist pick to try and get through the plastic, and then try to slowly pry out the plastic ribs that click into the dipstick hole. If you drain your oil you will have no way of knowing your oil level.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Agree, looks like it's broken off.

What about drilling a small pilot hole and then threading in a screw or eye hook to try to pull it out? Go slow and as aloogatr suggested vacuum at the same time. Might run into the metal connected to the plastic.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,296 Posts
Post #42 of this thread, the dipstick was successfully retrieved by drilling a hole in the plastic and using a drywall screw.
Oil dipstick completely stuck

Hope your successful.

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
I was looking for that but couldn't find it. Thanks for locating it. I was looking in just the 2003-2008 and Problems subforums.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,193 Posts
WTH? Just when you think you may have seen just about everything!

How in tarnation do you break off a oil dip stick in the hole? How is that possible? Obviously- It IS!

Assuming you have not had this long? Also Knowing for sure that you did not even check the oil to look at the cleanliness of it when you bought it.

Lots of good advice already, good luck.

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
WTH? Just when you think you may have seen just about everything!

How in tarnation do you break off a oil dip stick in the hole? How is that possible? Obviously- It IS!

Assuming you have not had this long? Also Knowing for sure that you did not even check the oil to look at the cleanliness of it when you bought it.

Lots of good advice already, good luck.
Yup, it happens. Keep the little o rings lubed and the tube corrosion free. If you sense you dipstick is sticking, be proactive and get a new replacement today. The consensus is that the Dorman is a suitable replacement.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Yup, it happens. Keep the little o rings lubed and the tube corrosion free. If you sense you dipstick is sticking, be proactive and get a new replacement today. The consensus is that the Dorman is a suitable replacement.
View attachment 143983

If and when I'm buying a new car- I'm checking the oil to see what the color/quality is! Hence- where's the dipstick on this thing?

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
If and when I'm buying a new car- I'm checking the oil to see what the color/quality is! Hence- where's the dipstick on this thing?
Unless your color blind, or really short, it should be easy to spot in front on the passenger side. If you can find it after a minute or two, it might be broke off.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
By the looks of it, that PCV is probably worth pulling/checking, or just replacing.
Good catch!
It looks baked and leaking oil. Certainly needs attention.

Should be an easy DIY, if not stuck too.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
After examining this year model closer, it appears that the dipstick tube is part of the valve cover. With the oil I see leaking, I'd do valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals at the same time and extract the old dipstick.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I would be trying what was suggested in post #6 as a starting point.
No need to chance the stick dropping down into the pan if you need valve cover gaskets anyway. If that PCV valve should happen to break when trying to remove it, no worries. Killing 3 birds with one stone.

Reactions: 20Piloteer07

·
Registered
10,849 Posts
By the looks of it, that PCV is probably worth pulling/checking, or just replacing.
If you do, be careful, but if it does break off, here's your backup plan fix:

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
Unless your color blind, or really short, it should be easy to spot in front on the passenger side. If you can find it after a minute or two, it might be broke off.
You didn't get my sarcasm? I guess I forgot to use that font. I KNOW where the dipstick is. I was making the point about looking at the oil on the dipstick when checking out a used vehicle.

* we may have another OP one post wonder on our hands here! LOL

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
* we may have another OP one post wonder on our hands here! LOL
I hope they come back and let us know the plan of action they have chosen. 😐

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.