Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a visit to the local mall, I've noticed my Pilot has received a ding in the side panel. It is not a dent. It is a mark/scrape on the side panel. Unfortunately, my Pilot is white and now shows a black mark with the scrape has appeared. It is about 2-3 mm deep.

Any suggestions on repairing?

Mike

·
Registered
408 Posts
I was looking in to the search area without any luck but, I remember few months ago I saw a post of how to repair little scratches using the touch paint.

Was something like: first soft sanding the scratch with a fine water sand paper, means the little line, after paint making a little bubble effect on all the damaged area, (let it dry) after sand it until the surface is flat after you repaint wait to be dry and sanded it again but this time only taking the shine of the paint and after final touch (let it dry)and wax it.

It is what I remember, better if you check on the post ask before you place a new post.

I'm sorry for what happen, Good luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mike & Margaret said:
After a visit to the local mall, I've noticed my Pilot has received a ding in the side panel. It is not a dent. It is a mark/scrape on the side panel. Unfortunately, my Pilot is white and now shows a black mark with the scrape has appeared. It is about 2-3 mm deep.

Any suggestions on repairing?

Mike
Which panel is the crease on, fender,either door or the 1/4 panel? Hopefully there is no paint damage only paint transfer which would be able to be rubbed out. This would be the best case scenario for you.
If there is no paint damage and only paint transfer, depending on where on the vehicle the damage is, the crease could be removed the paintless way and the black mark polished off. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you! Best of luck

·
Registered
311 Posts
I wouldn't be doing ANY sanding PERIOD! Even using mild abrasive rubbing compound can botch up the finish easily if you don't know what your doing (this is from experienceS; meant to be multiples). New car equals professional fix - old car probably try to cover black (if the color coat has really been removed) with touch-up paint but applying much more patience than paint.

·
Registered
483 Posts
seadog said:
I wouldn't be doing ANY sanding PERIOD! Even using mild abrasive rubbing compound can botch up the finish easily if you don't know what your doing (this is from experienceS; meant to be multiples). New car equals professional fix - old car probably try to cover black (if the color coat has really been removed) with touch-up paint but applying much more patience than paint.
Color sanding isnt that hard. The most important thing is to use 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper with a little soap in some clean water. Dont even use 1500 grit (this should be only if you have use of a buffer) , should be 2000 grit, this is critical or you will most likely have sand scratches in the clearcoat that are borderline on being too deep to polish.
Wet the sandpaper with soap and water and lightly sand the affected area with about 8-10 passes, wipe the panel (painted area), inspect , if needed you can sand the area a little more. Next use a LIGHT rubbing compound until the sanded area starts to shine again, once the panels shines(sand scratches are gone), polish the area with wax.
This process is pretty easy if using the proper sandpaper.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mike,

Was your ding in the plastic molding low on your door? If so, did you end up doing anything to fix it? My scratch is in the plastic molding at the bottom of the door. I guess they put the plastic molding partially to help with that type of thing, but if it gets a big scratch which is hard to clean is it really doing it's job?. I'm trying to decide what to do. Probably should just live with it and accept it as my first ding.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
964 Posts
Be careful at the self-wash car washes

GoCards said:
Mike,

Was your ding in the plastic molding low on your door? If so, did you end up doing anything to fix it? My scratch is in the plastic molding at the bottom of the door. I guess they put the plastic molding partially to help with that type of thing, but if it gets a big scratch which is hard to clean is it really doing it's job?. I'm trying to decide what to do. Probably should just live with it and accept it as my first ding.

Thanks,
Tim
Tim, If you use the Automatic car washes with one of those pressure sprayers be careful with spraying the plastic molding where you have your ding. I can't find the thread now but someone was saying a while back how that pressure sprayer took a large flake of paint off the molding. I guess the water got between the paint and the plastic and just took off.

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Re: Be careful at the self-wash car washes

smurray said:
Tim, If you use the Automatic car washes with one of those pressure sprayers be careful with spraying the plastic molding where you have your ding. I can't find the thread now but someone was saying a while back how that pressure sprayer took a large flake of paint off the molding. I guess the water got between the paint and the plastic and just took off.

Just an FYI.
That thread about the peeling paint is here:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4663&highlight=paint+peeling

:(

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you considered trying one of those paintless dent repair services? I read about one of these on Clark Howard or some other consumer site, and Dent Wizard (http://www.dentwizard.com) got good marks. The somehow tap the back of the panel with special tools to push it back out the other way.

This is the sort of service that car dealers us to prep used cars for resale. Any time you can avoid repainting, you are likely to get a better result.

Some food for thought.

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
gatoreng said:
Have you considered trying one of those paintless dent repair services? I read about one of these on Clark Howard or some other consumer site, and Dent Wizard (http://www.dentwizard.com) got good marks. The somehow tap the back of the panel with special tools to push it back out the other way.

This is the sort of service that car dealers us to prep used cars for resale. Any time you can avoid repainting, you are likely to get a better result.

Some food for thought.
While that is good info, Mike & Margaret said it's not a dent, it's a scratch, and the white paint is gone, now showing the black plastic of the side molding.

I got a small ding in mine, and just touched it up with touchup paint. Now I don't even notice it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
We had a similar ding on our SS vehicle's panel the day we took delivery of the vehicle (a gouged black spot thoroughly clashes with the silver background). The dealer offered to have it repaired by a "professional." Short of replacing the entire plastic panel on the door, I think one can only do so much with a scratched plastic. The technician did a pretty good job matching the color, but the gouge is definitely there. They need to start selling these panels as "replacement" parts.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for everyones information, especially about the pressure sprayers. I don't typically use those, but I will definitely avoid it now. As jay mentioned, mine is actually the plastic piece with a gouge in it. I guess I will have to just touch up the plastic so that you don't see the black but of course I will still know it is there. :mad: . Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen. From kemosabe's parts list, I see that the plastic molding piece is ~$63. I wonder how much it would actually cost to have it replaced. Probably not worth it. If it happens again on the same panel, maybe I will look into it.

Thanks again everyone. This is an awesome site with some great people!!

TJ

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
GoCards said:
Thanks for everyones information, especially about the pressure sprayers. I don't typically use those, but I will definitely avoid it now. As jay mentioned, mine is actually the plastic piece with a gouge in it. I guess I will have to just touch up the plastic so that you don't see the black but of course I will still know it is there. :mad: . Oh well, I guess it was bound to happen. From kemosabe's parts list, I see that the plastic molding piece is ~$63. I wonder how much it would actually cost to have it replaced. Probably not worth it. If it happens again on the same panel, maybe I will look into it.

Thanks again everyone. This is an awesome site with some great people!!

TJ
I talked with my dealer about repairing mine, and he mentioned that they would leave it in place, tape it off to prevent overspray, and just paint it while still on the vehicle. He said that the clip design made it really hard to remove and replace those panels.:(

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:D paintless dent repair, it works!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts