Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Of course I am now completely PARANOID - I daren't drive to crowded lots lest I end up with a D*%$G.

We went to several shops Friday night and I made sure I parked at the end of the row, etc. At Best Buy, I parked totally on the edge of a row, the right side of the Pilot IN THE DIRT, leaving a good several feet between me and the parking line to my left.

What should happen as we start walking to Best Buy but someone pulls in next to me and PARKS ON THE DAMN LINE! (Of course I am watching my Pilot as I walk and I am incredulous!) As if there aren't loads of spaces all around! I then can't believe what I do - I leave the rest of the family and rush back to the Pilot - pretending like I am getting something from the trunk (ha!). I then smile sweetly at the person who is getting out next to the Pilot's driver's door - letting her know I am WATCHING her to make sure my Pilot is ok. It is and I feel VERY PARANOID, a bit foolish, but sure that she knows I know who is next to me. In Best Buy my other 1/2 starts singing "ding, ding, ding, ding, ding..."

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I know exactly how you feel and I don't think you're being paranoid at all. So far, I've had 5 dings on my Pilot (have had my Pilot since Aug 1st of last year), 4 of which were big enough and deep enough, needing a touch up paint job. The black was exposed from underneath the paint on the door mouldings. I had to cover it up before it got any bigger.

It absolutely sickens and utterly repulses me just how inconsiderate and disrespectful people are towards others, be it with common courtesy and manners or with other people's property.

I don't buy this argument about our cars being "just a material possession" and that "it's just a car, afterall". That's besides the point. People should be or learn to be respectful towards other people and their possession.

What's next? If someone came along and urinated on your one of the walls of your house, are you going to argue that since the house is also "just a material possession", we are to just accept it and take it?

There might be individuals who are so noble and understanding that they might argue as such. But not I!!!!! No damn way!!!

When I open my door in tight parking spaces, I put my fingers on part of the edge of the door which I think might make contact with the other car and open the door carefully. I also teach my children about respecting other people and their possessions and get them to get out on the side that has more space and if we end up parking at a stall and it's a tight fit such that it'd be difficult for my children to get out, I get out first and hold the door for my children, again with my fingers positioned where my door might make contact with the other car.

I think it's sad that it's got to the point where we have to look on our door mouldings and wheel well area to see if there've been any damages everytime we come back to the car.

My mantra about "eye for an eye" comes in justifiably appropriate about now.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
I'm with you, RipRock! The finger bumper does the trick. My kids know too. Don't fling the door open and whack the car next to us!

I've got three dings so far. The Pilot will be one year old the end of this month. Two of the dings on the Pilot happened when my wife drove it to work.

My wife's new CRV already has three marks in the molding, and we've only had it a few weeks! She works at the University, and parking is very tight. It's $500 / year for a permit, and that does NOT guarentee you a spot! The parking structures have VERY narrow spaces. Parking Services is so proud when they re-stripe a structure, adding new spaces. It's because they stripe the spaces as if everyone drives an Austin Mini!!!! At the end of the day it seems there's always a vehicle like a big rusty conversion van crammed in so tight next to her she has to get into her V from the passenger side.

It is a very basic rule most people just ignore. Take care of your stuff. Respect other people's stuff.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts