Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Honda Pilot Touring 7P Platinum White Pearl
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I have a dilema on my hands. My wife and I currently drive a ‘17 Accord Sport and a ‘17 Sierra Crew Cab. We just had our first new born a few months ago. And I have been contemplating trading in the Sierra for a Pilot. Mind you, neither the Accord or the Sierra are paid off.
We have been struggling the last few months, at least it feels like it with the baby stroller, getting in and out of the truck with a baby seat, etc.
my question to you all is, have any of you ever gone from a truck to an SUV like the Pilot? Do you regret it? Is it easier with a Pilot.
I would love to trade in the Accord and have the Pilot and Sierra. But I know we could not afford both of the payments.
As far as the truck, I know I don’t use the truck as it should be used. I’ve hauled dirt maybe once. And a pallet of grass one. But that was it...
I am just afraid to trade it in, and a few months later, a use for the truck would come up.
Any experiences are greatly appreciated. We do plan on having a second child in the future. So I am not sure if a truck would just be more inconvenient in the future...

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
I'd take a path that causes less debt. Though inconvenient, Uhaul and Enterprise rent trucks when you need one.
Families need 2 vehicles these days. My sacrifice would be the wife and child in a family vehicle, while I drove to work a paid for, "liability insurance only" kind of car.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Is your crew cab a true 4 door?

I have a 2001 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab, with a shell covering for the bed that I can take off/put on in minutes.
Looks just like this, except mine is White over silver two tone:

I bought it when we were pregnant with our first child. I still have it.
My sons are now 17 and 20. With the true 4 doors, it was as easy or easier to use then a car.
We started with a 4 door Mazda Protiege (small sedan), and in 08 Bought our first Pilot SE new. For kids, the DVD monitor was a plus in the Pilot.

My truck has served us well. If your Sierra is not a true 4 door with a true back seat, then I'd understand.

Reactions: angelc93

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Hello all,
I have a dilema on my hands. My wife and I currently drive a ‘17 Accord Sport and a ‘17 Sierra Crew Cab. We just had our first new born a few months ago. And I have been contemplating trading in the Sierra for a Pilot. Mind you, neither the Accord or the Sierra are paid off.
We have been struggling the last few months, at least it feels like it with the baby stroller, getting in and out of the truck with a baby seat, etc.
my question to you all is, have any of you ever gone from a truck to an SUV like the Pilot? Do you regret it? Is it easier with a Pilot.
I would love to trade in the Accord and have the Pilot and Sierra. But I know we could not afford both of the payments.
As far as the truck, I know I don’t use the truck as it should be used. I’ve hauled dirt maybe once. And a pallet of grass one. But that was it...
I am just afraid to trade it in, and a few months later, a use for the truck would come up.
Any experiences are greatly appreciated. We do plan on having a second child in the future. So I am not sure if a truck would just be more inconvenient in the future...
The Pilot or equally sized SUV/van can be easier for a growing family as the enclosed rear carpeted area makes tossing the stroller, playpen, diapers etc super ez. The Pilot or equally sized SUV/van could be safer for the occupants depending upon the type of collision etc. Whatever choice you make it seems like you will be "upside down" on the loans for a while as automobiles are not usually a net positive investment. I own a pick up truck 2005 @48K and luv the utility but honestly money could have been saved renting a trailer when needed. IMO based on your story the Sierra won't be missed and the Accord is too small. The positives for the Accord is MPG, resale value and nimbleness.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Congratulations on the birth of your first baby! Certainly an exciting time of life! Sell the truck and use the money to buy a beater (hopefully It’s worth more than you owe). Use the funds from the truck payment to accelerate payoff of the Accord. Then take the money from both payments and build a savings account. The Accord Is fine for one child; it will be tight for 2 or more. By the time number 2 comes along you’ll have savings to buy a larger vehicle and you can inherit the Accord.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
499 Posts
I'd take a path that causes less debt. Though inconvenient, Uhaul and Enterprise rent trucks when you need one.
Families need 2 vehicles these days. My sacrifice would be the wife and child in a family vehicle, while I drove to work a paid for, "liability insurance only" kind of car.
I agree with this..... bold for emphasis.

Last few times I needed to rent a truck i went to home depot ... probably a little more expensive if you need it for longer than 75/90 minutes but super convenient. They even had a box truck when I bought a dining room table.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You make a very good point! I’ve considered a rental as needed or a simple, little truck for my “truck needs”. But my needs don’t justify buying something right away!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Pilot or equally sized SUV/van can be easier for a growing family as the enclosed rear carpeted area makes tossing the stroller, playpen, diapers etc super ez. The Pilot or equally sized SUV/van could be safer for the occupants depending upon the type of collision etc. Whatever choice you make it seems like you will be "upside down" on the loans for a while as automobiles are not usually a net positive investment. I own a pick up truck 2005 @48K and luv the utility but honestly money could have been saved renting a trailer when needed. IMO based on your story the Sierra won't be missed and the Accord is too small. The positives for the Accord is MPG, resale value and nimbleness.
It looks like at the moment I have a little bit of positive equity on the truck. With 4 years left on the loan. At least I think it’s the perfect time to jump on something. The car is my work car and thankfully we are almost done paying it off. We make the car work, but when we have a Costco run, we take the truck. But the stroller is put in the cab of the truck. Things get complicated a bit. But we make it work...for now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not get a minivan instead? The Pilot is a great car but a minivan is much better for hauling stuff and people.
Unfortunately I am one of those that doesn’t like the stigma of a minivan. My wife doesn’t want one either. We would want a Tahoe. But way out of our price range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Congratulations on the birth of your first baby! Certainly an exciting time of life! Sell the truck and use the money to buy a beater (hopefully It’s worth more than you owe). Use the funds from the truck payment to accelerate payoff of the Accord. Then take the money from both payments and build a savings account. The Accord Is fine for one child; it will be tight for 2 or more. By the time number 2 comes along you’ll have savings to buy a larger vehicle and you can inherit the Accord.
Thankfully, the accord is almost paid off. One year left on the loan! It is currently my work car, so the miles are stacking up. But regular maintenance is performed by the book, so hopefully it lasts me a long time...

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
250 Posts
Take the path that will cause the least amount of debt like others have said. I’m a home owner and used my wife’s Pilot to haul 11 or 12 bags of mulch from Lowe’s no problem. Just put the 3rd row down and loaded it up. You really don’t use the truck for what it’s intended purpose is, so that’s the one that should go. Trucks hold their value too, so you might make money selling it. I bought the Pilot when my son was 10 months old (got rid of my Civic) and now he is 28 months old and there are talks of another baby soon, so the Pilot was the perfect choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’d get a used Pilot to replace your truck. It’s designed as a family hauler. Consider going used to save cash. The 2nd gen Pilot is more truck like than the 3rd gen. Either way get a vcm disabling device (search svcm) to take the best care of the engine and make it drive properly.

Toyota 4Runner could also be a good choice since it’s legitimately rwd truck based instead of fwd like the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
A utility trailer could easily replace the truck. You can find them used for $250-$500 or rent them for less than you can rent a truck. There's a zillion uses for a trailer without tying up space inside your people hauler not to mention the wear and tear on the upholstery, carpet, etc. I use my boat trailer to haul everything from decking materials to landscaping supplies to hauling the golfcart in for service. None of that would even fit in the Pilot

A quick look for used trailers turned this up ... I'm sure some looking around could turn up better prices or bigger trailers. It's invaluable to have one ready on the spot ready to go and without worrying about rental time on longer projects. Also look in the classifieds under boats. People are always selling boat trailers cheap when they don't need them anymore because they store the boat at a marina or have their own lift.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I didn't see if your 'Pick up' Truck is a full 4 door? Full back seat?

There are trucks, and their are 'pick up Trucks'

Reactions: angelc93

·
Registered
2014 Honda Pilot (4WD, 71k), 2014 Honda Odyssey (59k)
21 Posts
I’ve got both a pilot and an odyssey - 2014, both vehicles. The odyssey is hands down the better people mover, and has better utility with the fold down seats. I can fit a whole sheet of drywall in there! The pilot is an excellent vehicle that I use for towing and winter safety, and is a secondary people mover. For families, I’d pick the Odyssey over everything. Regarding the stigma, most people see through the bull and recognize that soccer parents drive SUVs now, in fact, most people see a Suburban and can rightly guess that it’s a family vehicle! Buy the vehicle that best meets your budget for your needs, stigmas be darned.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I’ve got both a pilot and an odyssey - 2014, both vehicles. The odyssey is hands down the better people mover, and has better utility with the fold down seats. I can fit a whole sheet of drywall in there! The pilot is an excellent vehicle that I use for towing and winter safety, and is a secondary people mover. For families, I’d pick the Odyssey over everything. Regarding the stigma, most people see through the bull and recognize that soccer parents drive SUVs now, in fact, most people see a Suburban and can rightly guess that it’s a family vehicle! Buy the vehicle that best meets your budget for your needs, stigmas be darned.
^^^^That pretty much nails it, along with what Mr. Grease said. Do what's best for the family unit......get out of debt asap, dad drives a paid-for beater to work, quit worrying about image and what others might think about what it is you drive.(y)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Keep it and the car. It would be very rare that buying a new car would be a wise financial move, unless downgrading (quality or age).

Put a tonneau cover on the truck and it will be as good a family car (with the biggest trunk you can hose out possible) as the pilot would be. My truck was the family car for 3 years from the time my oldest was 1, thru his brother being born a year later and beyond. Our pilot does nothing better than my truck with the tonneau, except legally seat 7 passengers in all 50 states.

Even as young as 2 my boys climbed in and out of the truck themselves. Strollers in the back were not problem. Once you get a cover go to TSC and get a horse stall mat. Put it in back to protect all the junk and stroller from moving to much. Use a bungie if you must. Oh and my 5'4 wife drove the truck and handled the strollers in and out of the back no problem. Even the double stroller .

1 - 20 of 39 Posts