Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2014 EX-L - Dark Amber Metallic
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am trying to discover what it takes to use an MP3 player with my 2014. I have an older iPod Classic, and when I plug the connector cable into the USB jack under the arm rest, I get music but I cannot use the iPod controls. In order to use the controls, I have to unhook it from the USB jack, and that just doesn't seem to be doable on the road.

This older iPod is installed in another vehicle, but I took it out and was using it to test out the Pilot connection before buying another player to keep in the car. This iPod uses the older wide Apple cable rather than the new Lightning connector....not sure if the cable might be causing the problem.

I also tried to hook up my Android phone to the AUX input jack and also the USB, but neither of those worked. The only way to play music from my phone is to use Bluetooth, which I have found to be undependable with this phone/vehicle combo.

Any advice? Would a newer iPod like a Touch work any better? I like the iPod Classic because of its 120GB capacity compared to the16 or 32 GB capacity I've seen on newer iPods or Sony Walkmans.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,315 Posts
Honestly unaware that the iPod is still available new.

BUT I'd suggest you consider a used iPhone. No cell serviceload upload music and offline maps and use it.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
I am trying to discover what it takes to use an MP3 player with my 2014. I have an older iPod Classic, and when I plug the connector cable into the USB jack under the arm rest, I get music but I cannot use the iPod controls. In order to use the controls, I have to unhook it from the USB jack, and that just doesn't seem to be doable on the road.

This older iPod is installed in another vehicle, but I took it out and was using it to test out the Pilot connection before buying another player to keep in the car. This iPod uses the older wide Apple cable rather than the new Lightning connector....not sure if the cable might be causing the problem.

I also tried to hook up my Android phone to the AUX input jack and also the USB, but neither of those worked. The only way to play music from my phone is to use Bluetooth, which I have found to be undependable with this phone/vehicle combo.

Any advice? Would a newer iPod like a Touch work any better? I like the iPod Classic because of its 120GB capacity compared to the16 or 32 GB capacity I've seen on newer iPods or Sony Walkmans.
I had a 2013 Pilot touring and an iPod classic. If memory serves me correctly once plugged in you use the controls on the head unit. If you want to use the controls on the iPod you change jacks to the power only jack and connect the iPod to the head unit with an 1/8 inch stereo cable. Plug in is in the console box.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Honestly unaware that the iPod is still available new.
um....Yeah! You can buy new, right now, the iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, and iPod Touch. :geek: However, there are so many used iPods on Craigslist at half price, so I'll pick up one of those.

If memory serves me correctly once plugged in you use the controls on the head unit. If you want to use the controls on the iPod you change jacks to the power only jack and connect the iPod to the head unit with an 1/8 inch stereo cable. Plug in is in the console box.
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't see how to get to iPod controls on the head unit, but after I poked around a while, I found it. I tried plugging in the iPod to power USB only and connecting the AUX cable to the earplug jack, but that didn't work. The 1/8 inch stereo cable works with my Android phone, however, so I'm set if I want to watch a video. :)

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
um....Yeah! You can buy new, right now, the iPod Classic, iPod Mini, iPod Nano, iPod Shuffle, and iPod Touch. :geek: However, there are so many used iPods on Craigslist at half price, so I'll pick up one of those.

Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't see how to get to iPod controls on the head unit, but after I poked around a while, I found it. I tried plugging in the iPod to power USB only and connecting the AUX cable to the earplug jack, but that didn't work. The 1/8 inch stereo cable works with my Android phone, however, so I'm set if I want to watch a video. :)
Power only with the 1/8" plug does not disable the controls on the iPod. I know for a fact. I even tested it with mine today. I keep it in my 2020 Passport touring loaded with 120 gb of jazz.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Power only with the 1/8" plug does not disable the controls on the iPod. I know for a fact. I even tested it with mine today. I keep it in my 2020 Passport touring loaded with 120 gb of jazz.
Thanks. Maybe it's this old iPod I have...maybe the headphone jack is busted...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts