Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted in the towing section as well, but wanted to also post here.

I ran my vin on a decoder just for fun....yeah, I’m boring :) I found one interesting thing. On towing it shows a dead hitch weight of 450lbs. But then it shows WD hitch weight is 675lbs??

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've recently seen that on other vehicles as well, so I assume it's pretty standard. I don't exactly understand the meaning of it though. Is that the weight of the trailer before the weight distribution system reduces some of it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently seen that on other vehicles as well, so I assume it's pretty standard. I don't exactly understand the meaning of it though. Is that the weight of the trailer before the weight distribution system reduces some of it?
I know WDH won't decrease the hitch weight, that will remain that same, it just helps to redistribute the weight back to the trailer axle and the front axle of the TV. But I also read that, while the Pilot has a Class III hitch, that some are weight carrying and some are rated for weight distribution. So I guess it's really about confirming which style hitch is used from the factory on the Pilot.

But I know there are plenty of others that are WAY more knowledgeable about towing then myself. Hopefully other will chime in if they know.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Which vin decoder did you use? The owners manual for the 2014 pilot discourages the use of a WDH.
This is the link....I used similar ones for Ford and Chevy trucks. They showed similar break down of ratings, which in those cases went hand in hand with that owners manual of the MFG. This is why I am so surprised to see this for Honda as they do discourages the use of a WDH in the owners manual. But I am sure that VIN decoder has to be pulling data from someplace....

VIN Decoder - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

1 - 5 of 5 Posts