Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Came across this ... my 06 was switched over to the 0W20 (dealership) instead of the 5W20 kinda wondered why they did that BUT online it states that the 5W20 will give you a higher performace and longer engine life ... So I may switch back to the 5W20 in my 06 after reading this from Honda's website..Couldn't that hurt if you run the 5W20 in the Gen 2 series engines ?

Genuine Honda Motor Oil is formulated to meet the specifications of your Honda. As an all-season oil, it provides optimum engine protection all year round. Genuine Honda Motor Oil surpasses Honda vehicle requirements to further minimize harmful engine deposits and to maximize fuel economy. Recommended replacement every 5 months/5,000 miles.
  • 0W-20 (full synthetic) is specially formulated for Honda Ultra Fuel Efficient Vehicles only
  • 5W-20 is formulated to deliver higher performance and greater fuel economy which extends the life of the engine
  • Provides protection from corrosion and reduces engine wear
  • Fights formation of sludge and other engine deposits
  • Excellent engine protection under a wide range of operation conditions and temperature extremes
  • Eases cold starting during extreme weather conditions

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I never run anything other than what the manufacturer recommends for my vehicle... unless Honda issued a TSB or something else that your '06 should be switched to 0W it should not have been switched so the dealer can just carry one oil weight. The engineers who design these engines design and test them around certain oil weights, I don't trust anybody working at a dealership as someone who knows better than those engineers. Whatever changes they made between generation 1 and generation 2 for the Pilot were designed and tested with 0W, so I will continue to run 0W in my Pilot.

Also, I seriously doubt there is anything other than the cold viscosity difference between any brands 0W and 5W oils, no detergent package or zinc additive difference.

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Use the oil that your owner's manual tells you to use.
I do and this is what was taken from the Honda's website. So that comment refer to the manual is redundant since this is an updated service to the manual . Unless you state to your service provider at Honda what type you want you will get the 0W20 weight. According to the customer service agent at Honda.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I thought 0w-20 was weird too for my 14' but I am gonna go with it.
Tahoefever, what year vehicle does the first reference in your first post refer to??

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
an 06 ....I got suckered into that full service oil change for 24.99 coupon... So i got "they claim" the new filter and 0w20 full synthetic. I couldn't justify going to walmart getting the $10 mobile 1 filter and the $27.88 Mobile 1 oil and getting under neath ..etc ..etc where I can get the dealership to do it for 25 bucks...

on a positive note: my 06 oil life lasts longer than the Mobile 1 that I was putting in.. I don't know if the oil filter from Honda keeps a better filteration / oil pressure than the mobile 1 does ...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts