Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I decided upon an SUV and picked it up last tuesday but it wasnt the honda pilot, it was the acura mdx. Its kinda funny - we had a red rock pearl pilot exl-nav on order from a dealer in which we requested march delivery. The dealer screwed up and the car arrived in January. Not being able to pick it up until March, we cancelled the order and asked when a similar truck would arrive - we were told April or May. We then began out hunt for a pilot at other dealers and were finding similar time lines we went to an acura dealer and from the the minute I drove the car the decision was made. Just to be fair to ourselves we drove the pilot again at a different dealer and this just confirmed out decision to go with the mdx. Too many things included in the MDX that should have been in the $31,000 pilot, including a sunroof, fog lights, heated mirrors and seats, etc. I know honda has to differentiate but if the pilot had all those options as std equip, we would have one of those in our garage instead of the mdx. Oh well. Thanks to everyone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26 Posts
Those "things" were included in the MDX because it is cost CONSIDERABLY more. The MDX Touring w/DVD starts at $39,800 vs $32,020 for the Pilot. For the money, the PILOT is a steal. :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
92 Posts
I have nothing against the MDX, but I prefer the Pilot due to price, ride and interior room.

It has been said by Honda that you put a larger group of people in a room with a Pilot and an MDX and they will seperate like oil and water towards each car based on what it is they want in a automobile. I myself am very conservative and believe that this type of person is more apt to gravitate towards the Pilot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the MDX.

I agree with you about the missing features (sunroof, fog lights, heated mirrors and seats). These should at least be options that you can order. Honda could offer these without a huge increase in price. They would just have a lower profit. I'm sure that the Pilot is giving Honda the highest profit margin ever in it's history (just as all the SUV's are doing for other companies).

There are other SUV's in the Pilot price range that offer some of those features.

Come on, you offer leather seats up North without the option of heat? Maybe the Japanese have warmer butts than Americans (and evidentally they think Americans have warmer butts than Canadians :) )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here was our thinking:

2003 Acura MDX Touring W/NAV: $41,000
2003 Honda Pilot EX-L NAV: $32,980

To compare apples to apples lets add all the features on the pilot found on the mdx (minus heated seats and mirrors due to safety resons:

Sunroof: $1,450 (pricing on the average from this site)
Fog Lights: $300
AutoDay Night Mirror: $195.00
RearView Camera: $412.50

Without installation costs this brings the car total to $35,337.50. With a dealer installing these options im sure the car starts to approach the $36,000 price range. With a $5,000 difference it made sense to us to shoot for the MDX. The MDX does rock and the ride is more refined and quiet than the pilot. A lot of you have complained about space being an issue but we think the MDX is plenty big. I'm sure you all have something to say about this but this was a big decision and were happy with it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
I very happy that you bought what you wanted and got a price you can afford or go into debt for! :)

I'm not sure why you feel the need to tell all the pilot owners here. :confused:

I'm very happy with my pilot. It has more features than I wanted or need. As for adding a rear view camera---why. I'm not being rude, I really don't know why a Pilot, with all the great vision and no blind spots needs a camera. Now if it were a 40 ft motor home or even one of those cargo vans, I could understand.

I do agree that some things would have been nice to have been an option. They most likely will be in the near future. But I want them as options and not as standard. There are many things that I just don't want or need and don't want to pay for. I guess that's why there is the Honda Pilot and then the MDX. :D A great part of marketing in this country is that there is always a higer level of vehicle for those that want more than the next guy.

Good luck to you and I hope you enjoy many miles in your MDX. I already have had over 8,000 in my Pilot and looking forward to at least 150,000 more. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
991 Posts
JungleJim said:
I'm sure you'll be very happy with the MDX.

I agree with you about the missing features (sunroof, fog lights, heated mirrors and seats). These should at least be options that you can order. Honda could offer these without a huge increase in price. They would just have a lower profit. I'm sure that the Pilot is giving Honda the highest profit margin ever in it's history (just as all the SUV's are doing for other companies).

There are other SUV's in the Pilot price range that offer some of those features.

Come on, you offer leather seats up North without the option of heat? Maybe the Japanese have warmer butts than Americans (and evidentally they think Americans have warmer butts than Canadians :) )
Same as the DVD.. Which we don't get.. Weird how they make for one, but not the other...??? Color selection is also low in Canada. We only get five colors, I think you get eight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
gopilot said:


Same as the DVD.. Which we don't get..
Thats because you will watch Celion Deion videos if you were given a DVD player.....:2: :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
449 Posts
gopilot said:

Color selection is also low in Canada. We only get five colors, I think you get eight.
It's the canadian exchange rate.:cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
I don't think it's fair to say that MDX rocks vs. the Pilot. For all intents and purposes, they're the same vehicle. You wanna buy something that rocks vs. the Pilot??? Buy the new VW Touareg. Now there is an SUV that rocks!!!

Any of you that read Car and Driver will know that the '03 MDX finished 3rd behind the Lexus GX 470 and the VW Touareg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,484 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Buy the new VW Touareg. Now there is an SUV that rocks!!!
??? I thought that was one of the main safety concerns they were trying to correct with SUVs. That's why they came out with car based SUVs (CUVs) in the first place. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
If only it has a third row seat.

You will never get the car exactly like you wanted, period. No matter how hard those car maker want you to believe that your satisfaction is their first priority, it is a fact that the profit, and the scale of profit of the car maker themselves will always on top of your satisfaction.

The Touareg pretty much has all the things you can think about on a SUV, but still, it doesn't have the third row seats. Well, a lot of people don't actually want it.

Let's face it, the grass is always greener on neighbor's yard. :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,953 Posts
MG Pilot said:
Buy the new VW Touareg. Now there is an SUV that rocks!!!

But its a VW.....Do you know any satisfied VW owner ???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,388 Posts
ramirami said:

Thats because you will watch Celion Deion videos if you were given a DVD player.....:2: :2:
Oooh...that's low. I'd like to remind you that it's in the US where she has most of her fans and record sales. Come on, you guys made people like John Tesh, Michael Bolton, Kenny G into stars....need I say more?? :2:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
ramirami said:

But its a VW.....Do you know any satisfied VW owner ???
Right HERE!!!

I've been driving VW's for over 20 years. I've taken them all well past 200,000 miles with very few repairs except general wear and tear. I currently have a 16 year old VW I drive to work. Actually, I don't see many 16 year old Honda's around. (The 87 Golf was much more car than the 87 Civic.)

I'm not cutting on Honda. We have a CRV and will be getting a Pilot this summer. But I do hate it when people on here slam other car makes, especially good ones like VW.

I kind of wish the new VW Bus was out this year. I just might want that one!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
JungleJim said:


Right HERE!!!

I've been driving VW's for over 20 years. I've taken them all well past 200,000 miles with very few repairs except general wear and tear. I currently have a 16 year old VW I drive to work. Actually, I don't see many 16 year old Honda's around. (The 87 Golf was much more car than the 87 Civic.)

I'm not cutting on Honda. We have a CRV and will be getting a Pilot this summer. But I do hate it when people on here slam other car makes, especially good ones like VW.

I kind of wish the new VW Bus was out this year. I just might want that one!
It's not just other people, it's other VW owners too. According to Consumer Reports, you're an anomoly.

If you've ever looked at a CR buyer's guide, the Honda pages are all little red dots (red=good) whereas they run out of black ink on the VW pages... :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
180 Posts
I had a VW Rabbit. Also had a LOT of problems with it. But that's not to say that VW doesn't have some good qualities - the Passat was very highly rated, even by CR - just that reliability, on average, tends to be worse than highly rated Japanese and other German cars (BMW, Mercedes).

I think it's too general to categorize an entire car maker's line. Certain cars are engineered and built better within a product line than others. And even the same car can have different reliability data based on when it's built.

So where's that put me? Thinking that Touareg has a great design... but... for me I would want to wait for at least the 2nd year production. Like the Nissan Murano, Infiniti FX45, etc. Even the Pilot had some early production problems though Honda/Acura had been building the MDX and Ody on the same platform for years.
 
1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Top