Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've changed the front pads at least 5-6 yrs agol
I remember a shop I trust was doing something for us, he said the front brake pads were dwon to real thin. That was at least a year ago.
It was not having any brake problems either.

Today, I woke up with a day off, and decided on a whim I'd do a front brake job and bleed the fronts.

All went pretty uneventful. Thank god.
Sure enough, the pads were down to thousandths! But the rotors were still smooth and in good shape.
After I removed the calipers and the old pads, I noticed one of the 4 sliding caliper bolts was all but seized in there. The other 3 still slid easy by hand.
With a little 16oz persuasion, I was able to get it to slide out. I cleaned it off a bit, and realized I had one of those little packets of caliper grease stashed away. Otherwise I would have used a bit from an old tub of wheel bearing grease I have. The rubber boot was still in good shape.

Got it back together, went for a test drive- did some serious stops from 35-50 mph to 'bed the brakes' Stopping even better now then before I started,
Not bad for a short morning project.

Oh, and Me and my 19 yr old son voted in person early today too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What an Awesome Day!!! Thanks for sharing 馃榿馃憤馃憤
Hey, thanks for the sarcasm, I think? And, you're welcome.

Registered
I've changed the front pads at least 5-6 yrs agol
Today, I woke up with a day off, and decided on a whim I'd do a front brake job and bleed the fronts.

After I removed the calipers and the old pads, I noticed one of the 4 sliding caliper bolts was all but seized in there.
With a little 16oz persuasion, I was able to get it to slide out. I cleaned it off a bit, and realized I had one of those little packets of caliper grease stashed away.
Did you clean out the hole in the caliper into which the (almost) seized slide pin fits?
Did you file the rust off the places on the caliper that the brake pad shims sit and then lube them with caliper grease?

Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens peque帽o sparus tyre.
Hey, thanks for the sarcasm, I think? And, you're welcome.
I believe he was being sincere. Me, too. Good things accomplished today. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No sarcasm intended. Just makes for a Great Day when ya have a successful mechanic experience and then get family time!馃榿馃憤馃憤
Thanks Conrod, I guess I'm a little defensive sometimes.

Is your shock leaking?
I hope not, don't think so. Front end handles bumps OK, no problems.

Did you clean out the hole in the caliper into which the (almost) seized slide pin fits?
Did you file the rust off the places on the caliper that the brake pad shims sit and then lube them with caliper grease?
Yes and no, mostly no. I did shoot some silicone spray into the hole where it goes.
Plenty of corrosion, didn't even attempt to make it like new.
It was sliding well again, reassembled and sent it!
Compared to an Explorer I had for 2 years, it was nearly rust free! LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.