Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
I replaced the radiator on my 05 today and also replaced all the lines including the transmission lines. Trouble is I didn’t pay attention when I removed the two lines running up from the radiator. Meaning which attaches where? Either line reaches either fitting. Does it matter and if yes can someone help? Sorry for being dumb on my first post.
Derek

·
Registered
387 Posts
Some radiators have a built in transmission cooler. If that's the case then it's a problem, you dont want trans fluid in water or vise versa. The water pump flows one way. You dont want coolant rerouted against the pump

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Best I could find are these ATF Line / Hose Replacement illustrations from the Service Manual. Hope it's enough to help.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,834 Posts
I just checked on my 2005. As you’re facing the battery from the front of the Pilot:
Left side banjo connection to tranny goes to radiator connection closest to lower radiator hose. I couldn’t get a picture since the battery is in the way so I had to trace it by feel.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Note to self. Put a roll of blue painters tape and a black sharpie in tool box to mark things so I can put them back where they belong. 😁

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
Some radiators have a built in transmission cooler. If that's the case then it's a problem, you dont want trans fluid in water or vise versa. The water pump flows one way. You dont want coolant rerouted against the pump
Generally ATF travels through the trans cooler in the radiator via separate passage and thus should not mix with coolant unless the line or connection has corroded or is damaged.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
Note to self. Put a roll of blue painters tape and a black sharpie in tool box to mark things so I can put them back where they belong. 😁
A good idea for one's rat's nest of computer and AV cables. too. Whenever I forget, I kick myself. Whenever I remember, I thank myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Guys, thanks so much! Between PL’s schematics and Road2Cycle I’m confident I have it correct, if you look really closely at the schematic you can see the answer and confirmed by what R2Cycle states. Interesting to note you don’t push all the lines on to the raised ring around hard lines.

Good suggestions about using tape, marker or pictures. Normally I do this but I got on a roll and spaced it.

One more note. We bought our 05 new in late 2004. It has approximately 165k on it. I replaced the radiator as a precaution to the pink milkshake issue. We live in Florida so no salt on roads. My old radiator had rust around the two atf line fittings but I pulled on them pretty hard and they stayed secure. I’m still glad I did this and for the $250 cost it was a brainer. I had a friend recently purchase an 05 just like mine and he got the milkshake shortly after purchase. That pushed me to get it done.
Derek

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
Generally ATF travels through the trans cooler in the radiator via separate passage and thus should not mix with coolant unless the line or connection has corroded or is damaged.
Yep, the 2 small connection ports for ATF. There is no chance of getting Antifreeze in your transmission this way unless the radiator fails. Most likely doesn't matter what's in or out, but ya, I'd want it going the intended direction.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts