Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this complete package front & rear brake rotor & pad for my Honda Pilot 2006 from ebay for only $103. Anybody here uses this complete package before? Are they any good? It is so cheap.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
The name - Detroit Axle - reminds me of an anecdote. Several years ago, after we had both returned from living in Japan for a few years, my friend from Arkansas and his Japanese wife and I were driving down from Memphis to Austin in his GM or Chrysler (I can't remember which and it doesn't matter), and he said listen to that, it's what we call the Detroit Rattle. And no, the radio was not playing some old Motown hit.

The kit you found certainly won't break the bank if you're on a budget, but at that price it's probably Chinese; otherwise, it would say Made in USA. Think Volvo or IBM or GE Appliances or Motorola or the Waldorf Astoria, all Chinese owned.

Not saying they're not necessarily good. I don't have any experience with that kit and a lot of Chinese stuff is not only a good deal but quality now surpasses what's made elsewhere (think of what we used to think of when we said Made in Japan a generation ago), but if it's within your budget I've been (finally!) very happy with this Centric kit from Rockauto:

Remember, a Pilot is a relatively heavy vehicle to stop.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an horrible experience with those guys. I bought a complete front end kit for a 2000 Dodge Stratus, it was like a $150. It included ball joints, lower control arms, inner and outter tie rods, and sway bar links. Long story short the lower control arm ball joint came apart, when I tried to do the warranty claim the fine print says that you need to return the whole kit and you pay the return shipping which will probably cost more than what you are paying for the kit. Not long after both of the sway bar links started clicking, long story short I started replacing all the stuff with Moog items as they failed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So far I checked on Amazon & Ebay, all 10 user reviews said good thing about this kit. I also check out this kit for other model vehicles on Amazon and most reviews said no problem with the rotors, the rotors were solid build, but the pads were horrible because they generated a bund of noises. Even $103 for 4 good rotors; that is still a slick deal to me. The OEM rotor costs at least $92 on Amazon. The cost for surfacing four existing OEM rotors costs $80 in my area.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an horrible experience with those guys. I bought a complete front end kit for a 2000 Dodge Stratus, it was like a $150. It included ball joints, lower control arms, inner and outter tie rods, and sway bar links. Long story short the lower control arm ball joint came apart, when I tried to do the warranty claim the fine print says that you need to return the whole kit and you pay the return shipping which will probably cost more than what you are paying for the kit. Not long after both of the sway bar links started clicking, long story short I started replacing all the stuff with Moog items as they failed.
So far I checked on Amazon & Ebay, all 10 user reviews said good thing about this kit. I also check out this kit for other model vehicles on Amazon and most reviews said no problem with the rotors, the rotors were solid build, but the pads were horrible because they generated a bund of noises. Even $103 for 4 good rotors; that is still a slick deal to me. The OEM rotor costs at least $92 on Amazon. The cost for surfacing four existing OEM rotors costs $80 in my area.
About the reviews, I remember gettng the kit and the same day getting messages from them asking for reviews over and again. Message is the reviews that you might see are from looking at the stuff as they open the box not long term reliability. I just want to warn you, not persuade you, is your money and time. In my experience I have learned that you are already saving a bunch of cash by doing the work yourself, in my case I went cheap on parts and got bit on the butt.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
About the reviews, I remember gettng the kit and the same day getting messages from them asking for reviews over and again. Message is the reviews that you might see are from looking at the stuff as they open the box not long term reliability. I just want to warn you, not persuade you, is your money and time. In my experience I have learned that you are already saving a bunch of cash by doing the work yourself, in my case I went cheap on parts and got bit on the butt.
I understand your concern and I feel the same thing. I don't want to replace the rotors again after only like 10K miles.

·
Registered
6,180 Posts

·
Registered
7,037 Posts
I was only referring to Lenovo's acquisition of IBM's personal computer business in the mid-2000s, not the whole kit and kaboodle. If your employer issues you the popular ThinkPad today, it's no longer made by IBM, but by the Chinese company Lenovo.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenovo#Mergers,_acquisitions,_and_partnerships
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad#Acquisition_by_Lenovo
Are the Lenovo-made ThinkPad products still labeled with the IBM brand name?

·
Registered
6,180 Posts
No, they're now labeled Lenovo, usually at the base of the screen.

Although Lenovo acquired the right to use the IBM brand name for five years after its acquisition of IBM's personal computer business, Lenovo only used it for three years.

·
Registered
856 Posts
I understand your concern and I feel the same thing. I don't want to replace the rotors again after only like 10K miles.
I bought Detroit Axle sway bar links because of the low price. One failed at 6000 miles. If you value your own time and effort, go with better parts. I have noticed other members of this forum like Centric brake parts. I have had good luck with Wagner. I suggest you check out Rock Auto for parts. Their website provides more detailed info and easier comparison than Amazon does.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts