Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My pilot is 6 mo old and I noticed that the plastic centers of the rims are begining to discolor. The outside is smooth so it appears that the two layers are separating. It seems to be starting on the edges and working inward. Anyone else with this problem?

Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed this same thing last night when I was washing the car. Saw your post and was surprised no one else has posted anything about this. Mine is just over 6 months old, got it in late December.

Anyone know what the centerpiece is made of? It feels like it's plastic, with some kind of plastic sticker on it. Hopefully the whole part can be replaced with a more durable one!

·
Registered
393 Posts
jim21804 said:
My pilot is 6 mo old and I noticed that the plastic centers of the rims are beginning to discolor. The outside is smooth so it appears that the two layers are separating. It seems to be starting on the edges and working inward. Anyone else with this problem?

Jim
Do you park your Pilot outside? Seems like it would be caused by UV damage. Probably a warranty replacement though.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I checked mine today and after eight months they still look like new.

What kind of wheel cleaner have you been using?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The inserts are probably plastic with a metallized coating (same as the "H" and "Pilot" logos) or painted coating. Some owners have reported pitting and wear on the logos.

Could your center caps be wearing from winter weather (i.e., sand and salt) in your areas?

Here is a thread about pitting on the rims.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discolored

Yup, after a year mine are noticeable standing beside the car.

Looks like some delamination of a protective coating. All 4 are bad.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hmmm... I wonder if waxing/Zainoing the wheels and inserts would help protect them ??

·
Registered
423 Posts
My Pilot is over 1 year old now and I see no signs of damage on any of the wheels. I also don't see any plastic inserts on my wheels. Everything looks metal to me. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Even if I am looking at the wrong thing there is no damage.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Same thing happened to me. In fact the clear coat was peeling. Honda replaced them on warranty.

Mark

1 - 9 of 9 Posts