Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2019 EX-L with black leather. I'm wondering what others are using to clean and protect. I can't find anything decent on YouTube where people aren't pushing a product. I tried armorall leather wipes as I have used them before with ok results. The problem is they don't work on black. My factory black leather looks nice. It has a matte type finish and looks clean. After using armorall leather wipes on passenger seat it now looks stained and terrible. It has a milky white swirl look. I wiped it with something else to get rid of that, but nothing seems to make it look like new. So I'm wondering if anyone with black leather can pass on what they're using. I'd like to keep them matte/ flat black rather than glossy. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got you!

TLDR: Use murphy's oil soap (like an 1/8-1/4 cup in a gallon of warm water) to wash and clean the seats. Dry by buffing it off with a microfiber cloth. Then I've used lexol conditioner follow the instructions on the bottle. It will leave the leather JUST the tiniest bit wet looking and fade to matte after a week or so.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hi,

I've got the black leather in my 2017 Pilot EX-L.

anynigma probably saves you some $$$ just using the soap, which is probably fine. But, maybe I'm a sucker for the hype so I've also been using the Lexol products mentioned.

You can search for it at the usual online stores. Here's a link to the Amazon kit for cleaner/conditioner/and vinyl.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002ZBPXAY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'll typically vacuum top to bottom, and then use the cleaner, followed by the conditioner per the instructions. (Or when I've been lazy, and I'm not so sure this is a good idea, but if you're careful about not leaving stray bits of stuff around, it seems to work; I've just taken my backpack leaf blower, opened all the doors and blasted away. Then wait a bit if any dust settles. Though if I've done it right, there's no dust.) It's important to use a good lint free cloth with the cleaners to avoid having fuzzy bits or whatever remaining after you've done all this manual work! Then Lexol has the vinyl cleaner/protector for other parts. There's also this other stuff that seems good for Vinyl/plastic/rubber, etc called 303 Protectant.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KN0UOEE/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I haven't noticed much difference between this and the Lexol product for the vinyl/plastic... and I've not bothered to check ingredients, but now that you make me think of it, I should check the ingredients. It's probably all the same stuff.

Anyway, this seems to have kept everything looking/feeling pretty much close to like new after almost 2 years owning it. (Though only maybe 18K on this car.)

Oh, and both the Lexol cleaner/conditioner and the 303 stuff comes in wipes as well, which is probably a bit easier, but I don't really like those as much personally.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just use the Aerospace 303 for everything. These leather seats are vinyl/plastic coated anyway....so super fancy leather conditioners and such never actually get to the leather.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts