Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
July 18, 2020
I have a 2005 Odyssey that is starting to cost a lot to repair. I want another Honda and the Pilot seems right. (I REALLY want a Ridgeline but it is impractical for me.)

First, I read that the push-button transmission on the 2019 and up is not very good. Is this true?
I want to buy a used 2018-20 (EX and up) with not more than 12K miles per year. What do you think?

I found a 2020 Pilot with 2000 miles on it-EXL. The price was about 36K. From what I have been reading that seems fairly high. (I live in Illinois.) Comments? Suggestions?

Illinois tax, because of the county I live in, is 10%. So I guess I really need an OTD price. Do you agree?

Does anyone have comments regarding good prices for the kind of Pilots I described? (2018-20, EX and up-EX-L-I don't need to go much higher than EX-L but I don't want to pass up a good deal-less than 12K per year.)

What are the important "extras?" For example, Navigation?

Thanks.
Oscar2207

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,112 Posts
First thing to do, make a list of your needs. Do you have a passel of kids or is this for two or three people? This is one need that will drive your choice. Then look at the vehicles that will meet those needs. If you need room for 4 or more the Pilot or the Odyssey is what you need. If not you could expand your search tot he Passport as well. Never owned a Ridgeline so I can't comment on what the comfortable passenger load it for it.

I have a 2020 Passport, the 9 speed transmission has been a good performer for me. There was a some issues with the 2018/19 that seems to have been taken car of with a software upgrade. There are those that prefer the 6 speed transmission. Both are available depending on the model you choose.

$36L for a 2020 EX-l is dependent on the accessories. 2000 miles is basically new. My concern is why is a 2000 mile for sale. Is this a demo at a dealers lot or is someone getting rid of this vehicle. Seems the price not he lot new for an EX-L aWD is 40K in Illinois.

Once you figure out what Makes will fit your needs then list your wants. EX-l's with nav in my area is hard to come by. The next step up, the Touring comes standard with Nav.
Again your personal situation will dictate your wants. With a couple of kids the rear entertainment system can me nice if you travel.

KBB gives you the ability to build the vehicle you want with the extras you want and get a price range for your area. https://www.kbb.com/honda/pilot/ It will also give you an idea of what the vehicle you found should average.

My 2013 Pilot was a Touring. I got the Touring as I wanted an EX-l with Navigation. To get one with navigation was going to cost in the long run more than a Touring. I didn't need the 3rd row seat it turns out nor did I need the entertainment system. My 2020 Passport is a Touring as it had the things I wanted. Our local dealership didn't have an EX-l on the lot with nav and I didn't bother seeing if there was one available as the Touring fit my needs.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,371 Posts
Figure out what you need and more importantly what you can afford. Do some research (KBB, Edmunds, Craigslist) to get a feel for what you are considering is worth.

For that 2020 with 2000 miles, if you are seriously considering it, get its maintenance records. It could be a lemon the previous owner didn’t want to deal with. When I was looking for my current vehicle I found a candidate with 6k miles on it; it had visited the dealer for repairs five times. I passed on that one.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
643 Posts
2 quick things bc I'm drinking in Cocoa Beach.

1. Your interest rate on a used vehicle might not be worth not buying new.

I've found used Honda's within 3 years, normally aren't worth it. Might as well buy new.

2. Check Cargurus.com
They show pricing and how it compares to the area you select. LPT - check what national prices are for the model you want. Start your negotiation there.

PS. My 2019 9-speed has shown no issues. They upgraded the hardware and software in 2019 which kept me from buying an 2018. That and the volume knob. Check wiki.

Even with that.... my buddy had a 2019 touring and it needed a software flash bc it was chunking.

Whatever you buy, test drive the shit out of it = 30+ minute test drive. Tell the manager you'll be back in an hour. Focus on the lower gear shifts, that's where I believe most of the problems are. Also pay attention to whether you have econ on or off. Sometimes with econ on, the software says 'no', but my foot says, 'try again' as it drops a gear to redline.

Goodluck.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,445 Posts
My own thoughts echo highspeedball. Young used Honda's make poor value versus new.
If human transport is #1, then there is nothing to beat the comfort and space of an Ody, which also provides better MPG than an AWD Pilot.
But it sounds like you really really want to break free of the Minivan, so do it and adapt to the space you have.
Honda really has sorted out the early bugs and adapted the nine speed to its AWD system. I wouldn't be concerned with going new. (yes I am pushing new).

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,702 Posts
There shouldn't be any maintenance records for a car with 2,000 miles. If it drives right and you like the price buy it. That doesn't seem like a bad price.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A likely scenario is that the owner or a relative, of the dealership had access to this Pilot. The wife of the owner of the dealership that I frequent has her choice of a new Honda. She drives it a few months, then it is put up for sale as a demonstrator. If that's the case, then the vehicle would never have been titled - just running on dealer plates and might be a good deal. If it had been sold & titled(should be easy to find out), then I would question why it was traded with so low mileage.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Honda is currently offering $1K incentives and 0.9% financing on new 2020 Pilots. According to the prices paid thread, you should be able to buy a new EX-L for $36K. I have a 2019 EX-L and it is a very comfortable vehicle and a good value with the features included. Even the EX trim is very well equipped at much less than $36K.
I also owned a 2005 Ody and though I really like the Pilot, the Ody was a roomier and more versatile vehicle. I hauled 6 4 X 10 sheets of dry wall, landscape blocks, 10’ boards and a few living room couches in that thing. Also carried a dorm room full of stuff back and forth to the kids’ colleges about a dozen times. When we bought the Pilot we kept the Ody and used it as a pickup. After owning it for 15 yrs I recently sold the Ody and bought a Ridgeline during the crazy deals Honda was doing in April. My wife literally shed a few tears as the new owners drove it away.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,371 Posts
What?
Someone commented earlier to check the service records. I'm just saying the car should not have had a single thing done to it.
If nothing is wrong with that 2k mile used Pilot, I agree there shouldn’t be any service records. But there is a reason that low mileage Pilot is for sale, and before I bought it I’d want to know if the original owner brought it back in attempt to get some issue(s) resolved.

When I was looking for my Tacoma a couple years ago I read through six or seven pages of service history/complaints on a different 6k mile truck. The only record it should have had was its 5k oil change. I’m glad I checked.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts