Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done cleaning and waxing every inch of my 2003 Pilot. The car now has 600 miles on it.

After waxing the hood, I noticed several "dents" or imperfections, either in the hood itself or in the paint. You can only see these imperfections at certain angles. There are about 4 of these swirl areas, maybe an inch or two in diameter, and they all run along the front of the hood in the area just before the hood bend sharply down toward the hood.

The color of my Pilot is black. Am I seeing imperfections in the paint or the clear coat? The hood feels smooth as silk and no dents are detectable by hand.

I showed this to the service manager at the dealership where I bought the car and he had no explanation but definitely saw what I am seeing.

Any thoughts?

ammdaddy

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
:needpics:

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really doubt you'd be able to see this phenomenon in a digital photo, 'specially with the cheapo camera I own. At most angles you can't even detect these areas with the naked eye.

Any paint experts out there that can shed some light on this for me?

Oh, by the way . . . cute smilies.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for coming to my defense, JungleJim.

Now if I could only find a paint expert out there that can figure out what I'm describing above . . . swirls or imperfections in the paint that reflect in a way as to look like small dents.

Anyone?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This weekend I noticed two shallow dents on the leading edge of the hood - very disturbing for me on a vehicle less than a month old! I'll post pics tonight, but for a description:
Two very shallow dents, on either side of the center of the hood. The best way to describe them is that they are where you would place the heels of the palms of your hands if you were to try to latch the hood from a closed-but-not-latched position, if you had not let it "drop" from high enough the way the owner's manual instructs. My first thought it that someone at the dealership did just that - I know for certain that it was not me! It was that theory (postulate?) that led me read the manual about closing the hood in the first place!

Reading other threads on this board about fixing paint, etc. makes me want one of two resolutions: paintless dent removal, or a bug shield to hide it. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds familiar

Gourma4,
Your description sounds exactly like what my hood experiences. My Pilot is black, yours is Sage. Maybe this is only noticeable on darker colors? The so-called "dents" on my hood cannot be felt by touch, only seen.

I'd be very interested in seeing pics of your hood.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
78 Posts
The attached pic shows the two indentations from up close - I couldn't get a good picture from any further away to give any better perspective, but use the front emblem as a landmark.

I spoke with my sales rep this morning, and he's referring it to their service department to get an appointment, and they should cover it under "missed during the delivery inspection" or some such explanation. I'll let you know

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Gourma4-

The dents you have look almost identical to a set I've got in my Starlight Silver. Also noticed them while cleaning. I have a pretty good idea what caused mine (see thread ) but now I'm not so sure. Maybe they were present the whole time and I just assumed they were a result of wrestling with the hood.

In any case, the dealer is telling me that, due to the construction of the hood, paintless repair isn't possible but that they are willing to pay for a body shop to do a repair and re-paint. Haven't decided whether I'm going to take them up on that or not. I'm interested to hear what your dealer recommends for a fix.

John

·
Registered
78 Posts
jsprag said:

I have a pretty good idea what caused mine (see thread ) but now I'm not so sure. Maybe they were present the whole time and I just assumed they were a result of wrestling with the hood.

In any case, the dealer is telling me that, due to the construction of the hood, paintless repair isn't possible but that they are willing to pay for a body shop to do a repair and re-paint.
I think you're correct about the cause, and it sounds like it can be precluded by the latch adjustment.

As far as repair goes, I brought mine back to the dealership, and their "dent guy" is supposed to look at it today. I'll let you know what they say.

If it's not repairable, I'm leaning towards an air deflector. (I was leaning that way anyway, but now I'm leaning AND getting pushed! I agree with N_Jay - nothing is better than factory paint!

-Eric

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am not convinced that this is a post-delivery condition. It's impossible to prove, but my guess is that my Pilot came from the factory with these imperfections. And, I still wonder whether the condition is actually in the metal of the hood or just in the paint (optically imperfect?). I cannot feel the "dents".

ammdaddy

·
Registered
78 Posts
[B]Dent Fixed![/B]

I got back from the dealer this afternoon with the newly de-dented hood. The guy at the body shop said he didn't have any problems with it, and I am satisfied with the job they did. I can still see a faint ripple for about 1-1/2", but I have to be at juuuussssst the right angle and know where to look.

John (jsprag)-
I don't know what the differences are, but I was able to use paintless dent repair for mine. Get a second opinion from a body shop, and see if your dealer will cover it.

ammdaddy-
I agree that this is not necessarily a post-delivery condition. Considering that there are at least 3 occurrences out of a board population of ~4800, multiplied by how many Pilots have been delivered, means there are likely a bunch of other hood-dings out there. I can easily see a factory? service? sales? worker not wanting to let the hood drop from too high, have it not latch, and pop the hood to get it to catch. Also, it's something to watch out for when you take your car in for service.

Since you've already brought it up with your dealer, tell him about my repair and see if he'll address it. For the cost of a rental car and paintless dent repair, Gwinnett Place Honda has raised my assessment of them a few notches.

And hey- if you wanna road trip :roadtrip: I'll put you in touch with the body shop guy ;) . Heck, I'll even give you a place to stay! :D

-Eric

Attachments

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the post, Gourma4.

I'm still torn up over what to do. I guess I'll have to place some trust in my dealership and see what they suggest we do. The dealer said he'd like the Regional Service dude to have a chance to look at the hood. Where that will lead, who knows?

I'll keep the board posted.

ammdaddy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Welcome to the world of black vehicles. This pilot is my third black colored vehicle and I don't know why I torture myself everytime but I do. I love black especially when clean. But they are so tough to maintain. Unfortunately black shows you just about everything. It's like looking into a still water. Anything that touches it, and you can easily see it.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Gourma4 said:
The attached pic shows the two indentations from up close - I couldn't get a good picture from any further away to give any better perspective, but use the front emblem as a landmark.

I spoke with my sales rep this morning, and he's referring it to their service department to get an appointment, and they should cover it under "missed during the delivery inspection" or some such explanation. I'll let you know
Those are what we refer to as " Palm Dents", they are caused by pushing the hood closed with the palm of your hand in instead of raising the hood a foot or so and letting it drop to latch.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
I noticed a dent in my hood as well. Standing in front of the vehicle, it is on the left half and centered top to bottom. Not gonna bother going to the dealer with it. It's hard to see, and fixing it would be far worse (IMHO).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts