Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming from an NGK 3657 Iridium plug. Ordered a set of Denso 5357 Iridium plugs. Not seeing any posts here if anybody had tried this and the difference on responsiveness and fuel economy?

·
Registered
49 Posts
The NGK plug is OEM approved (I like NGK so put NGK Iridium plugs in our 05 after we got it this summer) or at least it's the one listed in the manual for the 05 and they list a different Denso plug. It had Denso plugs in it before (which I don't believe were ever replaced...) - both companies make great plugs, so I am sure as long as you stick with an iridium plug from one of them, you will be just fine.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The NGK plug is OEM approved (I like NGK so put NGK Iridium plugs in our 05 after we got it this summer) or at least it's the one listed in the manual for the 05 and they list a different Denso plug. It had Denso plugs in it before (which I don't believe were ever replaced...) - both companies make great plugs, so I am sure as long as you stick with an iridium plug from one of them, you will be just fine.
I had the OE NGK Laser Iridium for several years. Just recently switched all of them to Denso Iridium Power for half the price, it also matches my Denso coil packs, so far so good! :)

·
Premium Member
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,481 Posts
It may sound strange but car engines are frequently very picky about the spark plug you use. Stick with the NGKs.

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,499 Posts
I agree that Honda engines are sensitive to the kind, type, brands. We have had cases on the forums where cheap plugs (cheap made plugs) have cause misfires in these engines. I’ve never heard anything negative from anyone that has used Denso spark plugs. Where I’d be cautious on the subject is the various Denso and NGK plugs that are supposed to be ok for use in our V6s. The plug you chose says iridium, but it will likely not last as long as the Denso Iridium Long Life 3422 or the NGK Laser Iridium 3657.

Reactions: EA_SF

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree that Honda engines are sensitive to the kind, type, brands. We have had cases on the forums where cheap plugs (cheap made plugs) have cause misfires in these engines. I’ve never heard anything negative from anyone that has used Denso spark plugs. Where I’d be cautious on the subject is the various Denso and NGK plugs that are supposed to be ok for use in our V6s. The plug you chose says iridium, but it will likely not last as long as the Denso Iridium Long Life 3422 or the NGK Laser Iridium 3657.
Agreed on the types of plugs with our Honda engines. I don't even consider any kind of plug except NGK or Denso, and has to be Iridium. I just have to make sure I replace the set again before any misfires start showing up. It states on densoproducts.com site that the longevity on my current set is 30k miles.

Rectangle Parallel Font Pattern Magenta

·
Registered
Home of the 305k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,499 Posts
Agreed on the types of plugs with our Honda engines. I don't even consider any kind of plug except NGK or Denso, and has to be Iridium. I just have to make sure I replace the set again before any misfires start showing up. It states on densoproducts.com site that the longevity on my current set is 30k miles.

View attachment 162504
Good info.
NGK has a similar cheaper spark plug, NGK Iridium IX. If you go to an auto parts store and ask for spark plugs for your vehicle, this is often what is suggested. They charge you $11 each for these when you can get the higher quality laser Iridium on Rock Auto for less. I think it was posted that the IX is a 60k mile spark plug, so yes, it’s important to know what spark plugs you have installed because these cheaper versions will not last the full 100k mile maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot LX 2WD
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Did you end up running this plug? Surprised that ppl are choosing NGK over Denso. Isn't Denso the OEM brand for the J35?
ended up putting it on and it’s working fine along with my s-vcm. As far as I’ve known, it has always been NGK. But my denso coils and plugs seem to work fine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts