Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a note for all that want to pickup a good XM system. BestBuy and Circuit City both have the Delphi LINKED on sale for $99.99 with a $30 rebate! I think I will be picking this up soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I gotta admit... We installed a Skyfi in our Pilot a couple of weeks ago and have barely turned it off since. This is a great unit that you can use in the car, house, or boombox.

I'll post a pic of the install when I get a chance.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's great mliechty! I am thinking I will be the same way. I love music and this is just gonna make life sweet. Would love to see the pics of the installed product. Where exactly did you put the unit. I am still not sure what would be the most practical so that you can see the screen and also the best place for changing channels.

·
Registered
173 Posts
FLPilot said:
Just a note for all that want to pickup a good XM system. BestBuy and Circuit City both have the Delphi LINKED on sale for $99.99 with a $30 rebate!
Thanks for the tip, FLPilot... I grabbed one from the Circuit City in Plantation last night.

I've only been able to listen to just a few of the channels, but it's working great so far! I haven't yet decided exactly WHERE to mount the XM receiver so I'm keeping it loose in the forward console bin for now.

I sure would like to see some pics of other XM installations...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're welcome Chief.....I still have not bought mine. Being that I am always looking for the cheapest deal I am still searching. I think the $30.00 rebate expires in July. I will let you know if I find it cheaper than $99.99 so that you can go back and get your difference from Circuit City. Where abouts in S. Florida?

·
Registered
33 Posts
FLPilot

Had questions about the satellite radio. If one buys the adapter kit that uses the cassette player, do you still get the same sound quality as if you had it professionally installed?

Would appreciate your ideas.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
smartlis1 said:
FLPilot

Had questions about the satellite radio. If one buys the adapter kit that uses the cassette player, do you still get the same sound quality as if you had it professionally installed?

Thanks in advance!
The audiophile answer is No. A professionally installed system will sound better than an adapter system. Is the difference worth the different cost? Very, very subjective. I could be a smartass and say that it depends on how much you think you get road and wind noise driving your Pilot. That's how subjective your question is. My guess is that an adapter system will be no worse than your best tape, which is better than FM radio to begin with.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
smartlis1 said:
FLPilot

Thanks in advance!
I don't know anyone that has the adapter kit so I can not honestly answer your question. Like Jay said though, it probably won't. I remember playing my cd's with a tape adapter back in the days (listen to me, I sound old) and I remember hearing the hissing sound from the tape player. Not sure if they got any better. I would say buy the adapter and see how it sounds. If you don't like it then return it (Circuit City has "No questions asked return policy without restocking fee) and then pay for the installation. You might feel that the sound isn't that bad and that it isn't not worth the extra money to install. I personally am still not sure what I will do.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I used a P.I.E. cable to attach the SkyFi to the factory head unit so that it acts like a cd changer is attached. The sound is better than the cassette adapter. With the cassette adapter there is a little noise from the the play mechanism running.

I also used a bracket from Pro-Fit to attach the SkyFi to the console.

Easy installation - way easier than fog lights! However, a little more complicated than say the cargo mat....

http://www.pie.net/index.htm

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Default.htm

Lots of info at:

http://www.xmfan.com/index.php

Bliztsafe also makes an adapter cable and panavise makes a different bracket mount.

Pictures coming soon...

·
Registered
33 Posts
mliechty

Did you do the job yourself or did you have someone else do it?

If someone else did it how much did you pay? If you don't mind telling.

If you did it yourself, was it hard to do?

Anyway, thanks everyone for all your great information!!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Here is pic 2 of installation:

This is close-up of empty cradle with power cable and line out snaking up and over the bracket to disappear into a small hole I cut in the right side trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
63 Posts
smartlis1

We did all the work ourselves. Its not very hard at all.

First we used the magnetic antenna that comes with the car adapter kit. We mounted it on the left rear of the roof about 4-5 inches in front of the liftgate. Snaked the antenna cable around the liftgate door frame and behind the right rear liner and then behind the panels on the passenger side to the dashboard.

Honestly, the most difficult part is removing the two grey/silver trim pieces on the sides of the center console. This would probably be easier with a trim removal tool (we used a fairly small crochet hook). Once those are off, its just a matter of removing a few screws to take off the black trim around the radio and 4 screws to remove the radio.

With the radio removed, we plugged in the P.I.E. cable to the open jack on the radio, routed the cables in and around the console and put everything back together. I did have to cut a small hole in the right console trim to route the wires out to the cradle but the hole is hidden once the cradle is put into place.

The next step will be to locate the power adapter behind a trim piece (there is plenty of room) so that the outlet will be freed up. The adapter actually steps down power from 12v to 6v to the unit so the whole thing needs to be there somewhere.

This installation would be the same if you were to use the FM modulator rather than a P.I.E. or Blitzsafe cable. It might be slightly different on a non-Nav Pilot also.

Here is the instructions from the Pro-Fit site:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/Adobe/HO-70-03.pdf

This shows the bracket mount with the right trim removed .

I hope this encourages you to do the right thing and get a Skyfi now while they are on sale. If you want to see more photos or have ?'s please ask.

Mike

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
***Important News***

I have come across a great deal! Sorry ChiefPilot, don't think they will give you a price guarantee on this one. I have found some postings about a Friends and Family Deal going on right now with Delphi. If for some reason MOD does not allow this information on the board here, go to this
LINK and you will see the same information. I hope this help some of my fellow Piloters :2:

First of all understand that this is a Friends and Family deal. Hey were all family right. Okay now that we have that established this is what you need to do.

Go to http://xmffoffer1202.xmradio.com

Enter the required information; first name, last name, and your email Address. For Sponsor's Email Address, type this in exactly as shown [email protected] (this is not a referral, but an actual email for an employee which is needed to get this deal)

You'll go through the order process where you're able to choose either the Home or Auto Kit.

What's the catch? You have to prepay for 3 months ($29.97 + tax) of service and maintain the activation for at least 6 months. (why in hell would you buy it if you didn't plan on keeping it activated? ;) )

The 3 months are charged when the radio ships and is activated when it arrives. Expect 2-3 days processing and 3-7 days ship time.

So if the unit right now is $100 (minus your rebate which you have to wait for), plus $70 for the home or car adapter that is $170! This deal is awesome at $99. Let me know what you guys think.

MOD: If any of this post is unacceptable I fully understand and apologize in advance. I was just trying to give great information out. :cool:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks Mike for all the pictures and information! I will be definately order this in a few days. I will try to put it in myself and see if I can't mess it up :eek:

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So does any one have the XM Satellite Radio Receiver (DRN-XM01C) by Sony. I wondered what people think about the two and which one is better. So we can get the Delphi for a total of $110 and now this sony (see link below) is $124 minus $75 rebate. So what do you guys think?

P.S. The Sony is refurbished but you can get an extended warranty for (4 yrs for $99, 3 yrs for $70, 2 yrs for $50, and 1 yr for 30).

Ecost LINKED

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well, we looked at XM & Sirius before we bought the Skyfi unit. I think what sold us is the adaptability of the Skyfi unit - car, home, boombox.

We actually listen to it more inside attached to the stereo that we do in the Pilot. It is on right now...

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
mliechty said:
Well, we looked at XM & Sirius before we bought the Skyfi unit. I think what sold us is the adaptability of the Skyfi unit - car, home, boombox.

We actually listen to it more inside attached to the stereo that we do in the Pilot. It is on right now...
Thanks I think I am gonna stick with the Delphi too! I hope that when I am ready to buy it that I can still get the complete setup for $99.99

Question, I saw that some people installed their antenna's on the front dash. Any reason why you didn't try that? It looks a lot easier that way. My problem is that I love buying toys, but hate having to deal with (no patience) the install.

Also I have found a lot of info at xmfan.com (XM Forum).

·
Registered
18 Posts
BEWARE...xm friends and family offer

FLPilot's link to the xm friends and family offer is great.

i decided to see what the deal and it was just as he described, but i was not ready to commit.

later in the day i received an e-mail from xm. they were notifying me that they were going to confirm that i was really a sponsored friend or family member by checking with "[email protected]".
if they determine that i am not sponsored then they were going to add a $99 charge to my credit card. i dont know if this is a scare tactic or how much effort they would put into confirming our status.

i'm not sure how mona yong will deal with this.

and on top of that, if you are not confirmed you are not permitted to return the items for a refund so you will not be able to get the additional $99 refunded either.

otherwise, the deal is real good-- and there is no activation fee.

i hope someone can let us know if we can get this deal without the $99 penalty.

chris

1 - 20 of 42 Posts