Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Honda Pilot 09 EX-L with around 218,000 miles.

Whenever I put the car in R or D, it feels like it takes at least a second to engage that gear. Let's say I am at a red light and the car is in Park. The light turns green and I want to immediately move so I put the car in D and hit the gas at the same time. The car would idly rev for half a sec and then the D gear would engage and the car would move. Is that a problem? I checked the transmission fluid and it was light pink. No other issues in transmission at all. Gears shift smoothly driving otherwise.

I had a 2008 Accord before with the same V6 engine and it had the same pattern of a second delay each time shifting from Park.

I also had a 2003 Corolla and it did not have this issue. Is that a Honda thing? Just asking here to be sure. The VCM is enabled on both these Hondas.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have a Honda Pilot 09 EX-L with around 218,000 miles.

Whenever I put the car in R or D, it feels like it takes at least a second to engage that gear. Let's say I am at a red light and the car is in Park. The light turns green and I want to immediately move so I put the car in D and hit the gas at the same time. The car would idly rev for half a sec and then the D gear would engage and the car would move. Is that a problem? I checked the transmission fluid and it was light pink. No other issues in transmission at all. Gears shift smoothly driving otherwise.

I had a 2008 Accord before with the same V6 engine and it had the same pattern of a second delay each time shifting from Park.

I also had a 2003 Corolla and it did not have this issue. Is that a Honda thing? Just asking here to be sure. The VCM is enabled on both these Hondas.
Whenever the D or R gears engage, I also hear a click or a thud from under the car. Is that okay?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
First of all, don't use P if it's just a red light? Until you feel it 'in gear', don't hit the gas pedal?

Is it AWD/4WD? Have you changed the Rear diffl fluids? The transfer case?

Do you DIY your transmission fluid changes?
Then I'd do at least 1-3 drain and fills with Valvoline Max life ATF with a little driving in-between each.

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, don't use P if it's just a red light? Until you feel it 'in gear', don't hit the gas pedal?

Is it AWD/4WD? Have you changed the Rear diffl fluids? The transfer case?

Do you DIY your transmission fluid changes?
Then I'd do at least 1-3 drain and fills with Valvoline Max life ATF with a little driving in-between each.
I usually remain in D when at lights. Was just using that as an example but it happens the same if I am parked somewhere and want to move.

FWD. No diff fluids.

Bought the car a while ago and checked the transmission fluid. the level was good and the color was light pink. Shouldn't that be okay?

What's the purpose of doing the drains and fills with ATF?

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I usually remain in D when at lights. Was just using that as an example but it happens the same if I am parked somewhere and want to move.

FWD. No diff fluids.

Bought the car a while ago and checked the transmission fluid. the level was good and the color was light pink. Shouldn't that be okay?

What's the purpose of doing the drains and fills with ATF?
Sounds good.

If the level is good and the color pinkish? Should be OK.

BUT, many people on this site have seemed to have fixed minor transmission problems by simply doing a few drain and fills. Checking the level after running thru the gears, with in 90 seconds of shutting the engine off.
That 90 second thing is so funny to me. You have to hold your tongue right and stand on one foot too! LOL.

I'd start with something cheap and easy like a few drain and fills of the ATF.
Valvoline Max life full synthetic ATF is only about $18 at Walmart/per Gallon.
A D&F is usually about 3.5 quarts. TBH- I usuallly just put the whole gallon in LOL.

Look up how to do it. Several good thread on it up here.
My choice of fill sites is the actual fill plug on top of the tranny. It requires long/several extensions and a longer ratchet/pipe/breakder bar to get off.
Many just use the fill/dipstick tube LOL

Reactions: Aqib

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
There’s a bit of delay in my 2008 and 2013. Fluid is clean as can be. It doesn’t bother me and I don’t think it’s indicative of a problem. Most older cars with automatic transmissions don’t shift into gear instantly.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Perform a drain and fill on the transmission as that may be the issue if routine trans maintenance has been neglected.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
That's the stuff! Don't worry, totally compatible with our Hondas.

One drain is about 3.5 qts. It holds like 9+ I think.
But 3.5ish drain out from the pan at a time.
If that makes sense?

·
Registered
2009 Honda Pilot EX-L
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's the stuff! Don't worry, totally compatible with our Hondas.

One drain is about 3.5 qts. It holds like 9+ I think.
But 3.5ish drain out from the pan at a time.
If that makes sense?
Yeah I'll just take out the drain plug and let it drain until it no more trickles. That would be 3.5 qts right?
Then I fill it with the new fluid.

How many miles between each D&F?

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
I'm a huge believer in MaxLife ATF.
The reason for multiple drain and fills is the system has approximately 9 quarts of ATF. A single D&F removes 3.5 quarts. 2 D&F leaves about 50% old fluid in the system. 3 = around 80%. 4 = 90%

Reactions: briantii and aggrex

·
Registered
11,507 Posts
Yeah I'll just take out the drain plug and let it drain until it no more trickles. That would be 3.5 qts right?
Then I fill it with the new fluid.

How many miles between each D&F?
The first D&F, just a drive long enough to warm the engine and transmission up to operating temperature, mixing the new fluid with old. 5-10 miles? After the 2nd D&F, I'd drive at least a 100-500 or so. The VML will loosen any old gummy DW-1 in the system. You should already see an improvement with the 2nd D&F. A 3rd D&F is good enough to get you 30k miles of service.

Reactions: Aqib and aggrex
1 - 16 of 16 Posts