Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across this problem? My Pilot now has 1500 miles and that's enuf time to find out the issues. One major issue I have is that the driver side mirror has an insufficient wide view. The result is that there is a blind spot on the drivers side. I like to adjust the side mirror so that just as a car on the passing lane dissappears in front of the rear pillar as seen in the rear view mirror, the nose of the passing car shows up in the side view mirror and stays in view until the nose of the car shows up in my periperial vision to the side of the car. On the Pilot, if you cannot adjust the mirror to this situation. EIther you can see the car when it dissappears from the rear view mirror OR you can adjust it so you see it until it gets in your peripheral vision, but there is not enough field of view to do both. This is a safety issue because therefore there is a blind spot: either you must always look over your shoulder prior to changing lanes or you must keep track of cars behind you. So far, I have missed twice from swiping someone. It usually occurs where a car is passing quickly, dissappears from the rear view mirror when I want to change lanes and then shows up next to me just as I am changing lanes. Are there stick on mirrors to increase the field of view? This is very annoying as this is the first car I have had with this safety issue.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Fix

I put on 3 inch convex mirrors that I bought at AutoZone for a few bucks each. Place them in the upper corner of mirror nearest the door. Have used them on all my cars and it makes a difference. Cheap price to pay considering the extra safety you get.

·
Registered
173 Posts
wide view mirror

For not much more than the plastic stick-on mirrors, you can buy a streamlined, low-profile, wide-angle, real glass mirror that clamps on above the outside mirror. This leaves the full view of the stock mirror and provides a wide-angle view as well.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Mirror

I always check the blind-spot visually everytime anyway. Had a few close calls in the past.

It's not worth not looking.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I don't find the view to be any worse than anything else.

I also look visually before changing lanes, I've had my mirrors bumped without knowing it.

There is a really cool feature I have noticed about the mirrors.
I fold them in before going through the car wash.
The side scrubbing wheels (not brushes) clean the sides and then pop out the mirrors as they spin and they wash the mirror faces and behind them also (every time). Coincidence, maybe?

·
Registered
592 Posts
I have not noticed anything different from other cars that i have owned either. But I am always looking back over my shoulder before changing lanes etc.

·
Registered
30 Posts
streamlined, low-profile, wide-angle, real glass mirror

ChiefPilot,

Can you give me more info re: this mirror. Where can I purchase it, and is there a picture of it anywhere? Thanks. Camel

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Having recently read some article somewhere about the proper adjustment of mirrors, I find the Pilot's to be perfectly acceptable in eliminating most of the potential blindspot. Turning my head slightly left to check the mirror gives me the peripheral vision to see the front end of a vehicle in the blind spot, just as that article described.

If I remember where I read the article, I'll post a link.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
VegasDude

VegasDude, is your real name Biff? :D

·
Registered
173 Posts
Camel...

Sorry for the delay in responding.

The name of the wide-angle mirror I mentioned is simply "Auxiliary Mirror." It is manufactured by Hercules JRP, Inc. of Stroudsburg, PA (phone 717-992-5754). The UPC number is 7 59592 01200 4.

I found mine at Pep Boys Automotive. If you'd like to see a picture of the mirror, the web site address is:

http://www.safedriving.com/

(The auxiliary mirror is the kidney-shaped one in the left picture.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
auxiliary mirror

ChiefPilot--

Thank you for the info on the Auxilary Mirror. I think it will be a great help with the rear blindspots. Camel

·
Registered
30 Posts
Additional question for ChiefPilot

Dear ChiefPilot--

This is a off the subject, but I wanted to know:

What is a Compass Mirror? and

Are you happy with your 1999 Acura 3.2 TL with Navi? My spouse is almost ready to replace his old reliable Acura Vigor for something a bit larger.

Thanks, Camel

·
Registered
173 Posts
To camel...

Honda offers an optional Day/Night automatic rearview mirror that also includes a compass. You can check it out at

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/parts/extension/pilot/03pilot.htm

As far as the Acura TL goes, it is my wife's car and she REALLY likes it... calls it her "zip, zip, zip car"! The TL has about 36,000 miles thus far. It has seen the dealer a few times but not for anything "serious".

The "99 TL is equipped with the first-generation NAVI which uses a hard drive instead of a DVD for the map data. The NAVI works great but the newer DVD-equipped models are more convenient since they have all the coverage areas for the entire country immediately available.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
30 Posts
To ChiefPilot

ChiefPilot,

Thanks for your reply re: the TL and compass mirror.

For the kidney shaped auxilary mirror that attaches above the rear view--do you find that it obscures the view above the rear view much? I'm 5'3" (in the morning anyway).

As always, your comments are quite appreciated. Camel

·
Registered
797 Posts
Watch out for those stick on mirrors for the side windows when you wash your Pilot! Can tell you from past experience that they come off easy if you take them to one of those high powered do-it-yourself wash bays. The water pressure is enough to make it a flying saucer and hit the window or side of the truck if you do it right. Helped wash a buddy's truck at the beach a few years back after driving on the beach. It hit the side window hard - luckly it did not break the window!

·
Registered
173 Posts
To Camel...

The auxiliary mirror IS low-profile and it doesn't block my vision at all. But then I'm about 6' tall. Your mileage may vary.

FWIW, around here the auto stores will take most items back if they don't work out for you.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts